When to change it up?

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
It’s starting to feel like Groundhog Day with my training. When do you guys switch it up?

I’ve been doing a PPL split for 3 months. Before that I was doing a full body routine for a couple of months. Any recommendations for a new split? I’m natural except for my trt dose.

thanks in advance

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
What's your reason for wanting to switch? Is it no longer giving results? Scheduling issues? Boredom? Fear that it's not 'optimal'?

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
What's your reason for wanting to switch? Is it no longer giving results? Scheduling issues? Boredom? Fear that it's not 'optimal'?

im seeing decent results but I’m not sure how long I can get away with doing the same thing every week. I was thinking about totally switching up the exercises within the split first and see how that looks for a couple of weeks. I’m really just curious as to what everyone else does to avoid stalling out.

thanks for the response

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If you're getting results, why fix what isn't broken? Eek out all the gainzzz you can.

After that, maybe switch 1 exercise, or just reorder the same one's.

My $0.02

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I change it daily. Half the fun for me is playing with technique or finding a new way to hit a muscle the way I want. Just go in and mix it up.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your goals are but ask any pro who will be honest with you about their training (not trying to sell something) and they will tell you the same. damn. thing. Progressive overload. Very VERY rarely do I change my routine. When I do it's just for a couple weeks to deload ornjust due to injury. As long as you are consistently increasing volume you will see results.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Stay consistent even if its boring! I deload after a bit to let my old ass recover but if your seeing results stay on that path!

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I usually stick to the same exercises. However, as an old fukr I can't go heavy year round. When I'm not going heavy I work in supersets & drop sets.

Last edited:

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
If you're getting bored with the same routine switch it up, it's not that big of a deal. Sometimes it's not always about doing what's right or what's most beneficial, you gotta do what makes you happy to continue training.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I agree with juice train do what makes you happy in the gym so you enjoy it
As long as your getting there, working hard and using good form it don’t matter

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm with Juicetrain. if you're bored and or feel the need for something different to keep you involved and motivated to train at your best then make a change. Lots of options available to you where you can continue with physical progress. Try something like GVT 10x10 for the next 3 months. that'll definitely be a good change and it will challenge you.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm with Juicetrain. if you're bored and or feel the need for something different to keep you involved and motivated to train at your best then make a change. Lots of options available to you where you can continue with physical progress. Try something like GVT 10x10 for the next 3 months. that'll definitely be a good change and it will challenge you.

Yup. Just about all good typical programs work if you put the work in. Nothing wrong with changing things up every now and then when things get stale. Just don’t become a program hopper.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Yup. Just about all good typical programs work if you put the work in. Nothing wrong with changing things up every now and then when things get stale. Just don’t become a program hopper.

That was my fear too. I don't want to change up too often and then not get any results.

baitslinger

Reaction score
I think it's crucial to change the exercises within a PPL rotation, to keep a novel stimulus going.

Try using every single handle in the gym, and vary the hand placement and position too.

Also - vary rep ranges. 4 sets of 12, 5 sets of 5, pyramid up and down, reverse pyramid. Heavy / lights; basically dropsets.

Keep the muscles confused!

New Threads