Once a week?

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wrestled for many years and I continued to lift during season but like DYS said not pure strength training.
i did 2-3x full body lifts a week not a lot of volume either and I backed the intensity off
mainly did it to add to my conditioning and to maintain my strength as much as I could. But my workouts were so intense that I didn’t want to over stress my body especially when a tournament was coming up. Deep in the season I would focus on bodyweight stuff for a half hour after practice. But like the others said it’s gonna be hard to master lifting and boxing. Just be careful and listen to your body
don’t overtrain and injure yourself

i know bixing and wrestling aren’t the same but i imagine your boxing sessions are very intense like any other type of fighting sport

Pretty much every sport that is not a true strength sport like PLing, Oly lifting and strongman are the same like that. Raw strength is not the end all, be all in most sports, but it always help.

Take a football offseason program - generally broken into 4 training blocks leading into the next pre-season. All aspects of training are covered in every block, but every block has a focus. Recovery (immediately after season ends), hypertrophy, strength, and conditioning - then into the next pre-season/season where all you can do is maintain.

You can't serve multiple masters unless you're a crossfitter haha. Then you can be average at everything.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Am wake up
A couple hours of organizational nonsense, nothing physical

Every day around 8-9 (mon-fri)
Stretch
Hop twists 30 (face one direction in fighting stance jump 180 land in balanced fighting stance)
Jump rope 3 min(weighted rope, bare foot, on carpet)
Sit ups(number increases weekly)
Shrugs (5 sets of 20 relatively light weight 135lbs)
Rear bridges (increasing volume weekly)
Weighted front neck curls(increasing volume weekly)
jump rope 3 min

My daily boxing workout involves a mix of sessions done in 3 min rounds followed by 1 min rest.
Usually 4 or 5 of the following a day
Shadow boxing
Slip rope
Maize bag
Mitt work
Heavy bag
Speed bag
I try to do 12 rounds or more in total of a mix if the above. Speed bag is the only exception to the 3 min time. I do 10min, even 20min rounds of the speed bag. (Keeping your hands up and still punching with fatigue is very important)

Cardio (2 to 3 times a week)
Often a one hour run, sometimes broken into 15 min run, three min activity (stairs, jump rope) 15 min run.

Those are the things I need to do for boxing at least 5 days a week. My other obligations are not very demanding and I can arrange them as i want.

That is roughly my weekly work load without lifting.

I take creatine and whey protein in the am
I eat about 2500 calories in 400 calorie chunks (fish, Turkey, rice, vegetables, whole grain bread)
With fruit snacks, trail mix, bran cereals)
I eat a larger calorie 600 supper that varies.
I drink filtered whey every night before bed and eat an orange.

I cheat often on my diet, and try to adjust it as I go so I am getting enough, but still dropping until I level out around 199lbs.

I might be the only one here that did amateur circuit; I've never talked boxing details with anyone here. Maybe I can help.

1. I need to know your time schedule for each thing. So far you only listed 8-9am.

2. Keep your weight lifting after bag work/footwork/slip drills/mitt work. You don't want to compromise those, unless you wanna lose.

3. Cardio should be done 5x/week minimum. You shouldn't put stairs/jump rope in between a run. Run the whole distance/time.

4. Put your neck exercises and shrugs into the weight training instead of being stuck with calisthenics.

5. Where's the slip bag work?

6. Keep cheating on your diet=keep cheating yourself. You'll **** over the weigh-in and your match. You kmow that.

Top priority=your COACH and his orders. Any good coach will say the same things I did above. Listen to your coach unless he's an idiot, then get a new one.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I boxed I didn’t really lift. High rep and plyo type stuff yes, but pure strength training - nope.

If youre just using boxing to stay in shape, do whatever you want.

All this time and I didn't know you boxed.

Even crazier, an hour ago I thought "Damn, I need to do my boxing training. I'm a freakin' rustbucket..I bet I'd look a fool if I had to fight right now". Then I see this thread.

My wife is 100% against me ever goin into a ring again. Especially with my back now. I miss it.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I wrestled for many years and I continued to lift during season but like DYS said not pure strength training.
i did 2-3x full body lifts a week not a lot of volume either and I backed the intensity off
mainly did it to add to my conditioning and to maintain my strength as much as I could. But my workouts were so intense that I didn’t want to over stress my body especially when a tournament was coming up. Deep in the season I would focus on bodyweight stuff for a half hour after practice. But like the others said it’s gonna be hard to master lifting and boxing. Just be careful and listen to your body
don’t overtrain and injure yourself

i know bixing and wrestling aren’t the same but i imagine your boxing sessions are very intense like any other type of fighting sport

I didn't lift when I wrestled either. Bodyweight stuff. There was no time or energy to do anything else back then. I did lift for football, and baseball. I boxed in the army and garage (club) when I was younger so it wasn't my main focus.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All this time and I didn't know you boxed.

Even crazier, an hour ago I thought "Damn, I need to do my boxing training. I'm a freakin' rustbucket..I bet I'd look a fool if I had to fight right now". Then I see this thread.

My wife is 100% against me ever goin into a ring again. Especially with my back now. I miss it.

I wouldn't call myself a boxer. I had 10 amateur fights as a teenager, and was a tomato can lol. I boxed to stay in shape for other sports.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I might be the only one here that did amateur circuit; I've never talked boxing details with anyone here. Maybe I can help.

1. I need to know your time schedule for each thing. So far you only listed 8-9am.

2. Keep your weight lifting after bag work/footwork/slip drills/mitt work. You don't want to compromise those, unless you wanna lose.

3. Cardio should be done 5x/week minimum. You shouldn't put stairs/jump rope in between a run. Run the whole distance/time.

4. Put your neck exercises and shrugs into the weight training instead of being stuck with calisthenics.

5. Where's the slip bag work?

6. Keep cheating on your diet=keep cheating yourself. You'll **** over the weigh-in and your match. You kmow that.

Top priority=your COACH and his orders. Any good coach will say the same things I did above. Listen to your coach unless he's an idiot, then get a new one.

Maize bag, double end bag, slip rope and shadow all get worked in on rotation. The Atlanta open is in 4 months. If I can hit 199 by then that is the goal. It is masters so 3 3 min rounds tournament style.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I corrected my original post (72, not 48 hours) but beyond that, and I what I wrote in the original article, there is nothing left to really elaborate on unless you have a specific question :)

The time that you corrected was more in line of what I have read, even up to 7 days but I don't find 7 days to be accurate for myself. The problem I have run into with hitting a muscle more then once a week is recovery. We really are hitting some muscles more then we realize when we do the "One body part a week" A good example is our shoulders and back. I think lifters are not paying attention to how much they get used in compound movements.

I agree in a vacuum you could hit each body part every 3 days but it's hard to not hit them again within that time span. It's the reason when I was competing in PLing I found it better to squat and DL on the same day. There are other factors that go into what I do and don't do as well as timing but once a week per body part is optimal for my training.

As for the OP, his back will take a massive amount of pounding doing more than a body part a week.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Maize bag, double end bag, slip rope and shadow all get worked in on rotation. The Atlanta open is in 4 months. If I can hit 199 by then that is the goal. It is masters so 3 3 min rounds tournament style.

Are they going to stream it this year? I'll definitely cheer for you if so.

It'll be better than the BS Heavyweight cards we get nowadays. I'm so sick of Wilder and his braggadocio; like bitch, the stock you fought won't give you the right to call yourself the "greatest"!

Back to you, since it's triple 3-min rounds, you already know:
  • you could get by with only 2-3 mile uninterrupted runs
  • you'd easily get to 199 with no cheating in diet
  • you'll win easy by having the best footwork

BTW, where is the damn footwork training?

Place the weight training in their own days and you'll drop 'em like flies.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Lomachenkos fun to watch!! Terrence Crawford and Keith Thurman as well.

Max

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The time that you corrected was more in line of what I have read, even up to 7 days but I don't find 7 days to be accurate for myself. The problem I have run into with hitting a muscle more then once a week is recovery. We really are hitting some muscles more then we realize when we do the "One body part a week" A good example is our shoulders and back. I think lifters are not paying attention to how much they get used in compound movements.

I agree in a vacuum you could hit each body part every 3 days but it's hard to not hit them again within that time span. It's the reason when I was competing in PLing I found it better to squat and DL on the same day. There are other factors that go into what I do and don't do as well as timing but once a week per body part is optimal for my training.

As for the OP, his back will take a massive amount of pounding doing more than a body part a week.

Yea, the OP better not do Zilla's tips, only because of boxing.

The problem is most people 1. Don't use mind-muscle connection through the whole session, and 2. never turn on that lightbulb and figure out what their body needs.

Zilla's method is the complete opposite of what I need. Hell, my body does best with mostly 1-4 rep range weight, and we all see how many do that. I can't do more than 1x a week because of my intensity. Reason #2 is what you said, snake. My intensity means I never truly work parts 1x a week.

Still, thank you Zilla for giving a second view of things. You gave what i fight for around here-a differing opinion.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lomachenkos fun to watch!! Terrence Crawford and Keith Thurman as well.

Max

Bruh, Lomachenko=footwork king. It's AWESOME how he slips and switches without skipping a beat.

The other slip god=Mike Tyson using "peek-a-boo" style.

PAB style originated with Floyd Patterson and José Torres. Go on Youtube and enjoy.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Bruh, Lomachenko=footwork king. It's AWESOME how he slips and switches without skipping a beat.

The other slip god=Mike Tyson using "peek-a-boo" style.

PAB style originated with Floyd Patterson and José Torres. Go on Youtube and enjoy.

Patterson!!

New Threads