Once a week?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the effectiveness of once a week per bodypart for someone who is natural?
I'm finding the boxing workload is where I need my focus, my high volume old school thinking multiple times a week just will not fit into my goals. There seems to be some suggestion on various lifing websites that once a week is popular for one group and may not be as effective a setup for a natural lifter, I am interested in opinions.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the effectiveness of once a week per bodypart for someone who is natural?
I'm finding the boxing workload is where I need my focus, my high volume old school thinking multiple times a week just will not fit into my goals. There seems to be some suggestion on various lifing websites that once a week is popular for one group and may not be as effective a setup for a natural lifter, I am interested in opinions.

Seems like a 3-4day a week compound exercises program would workout better for natural but that is an opinion. I think being consistent is the key, really.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
hitting a muscle group once per week makes no sense to me. I cant think of a single scenario, natural or not, where I need an entire week to recover any single muscle group. That being said, if you're a boxer and your goal isn't to compete in PL or BB, then do whatever your coach tells you.

Read this extremely well written post and give it some thought.
https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threads/21852-The-Bro-Split-why-it-sucks-better-alternatives
Not to mention the very simple fact that the "anabolic window" is, at best, 72 hours long, which makes the bro split borderline stupid for naturals. In 7 years of coaching a whole bunch of elite natties, I can't think of a single man or woman who responded better to that vs alternative, better splits. Not 1.

And you're right. That is a quite excellent post :)

Last edited:

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
if you're mostly concerned about moving up in boxing I'm not sure if weightlifting should play any importance in your goals. I could be wrong but I've not heard of it

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
There’s a few that would work but PPL is good and you’ll hit things 2x. Lower the volume and increase the intensity of time is a concern.

Especially if your focus isn’t BBing you can insert compound movements and drop odds and ends like calves.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Not to mention the very simple fact that the "anabolic window" is, at best, 48 hours long, which makes the bro split borderline stupid for naturals. In 7 years of coaching a whole bunch of elite natties, I can't think of a single man or woman who responded better to that vs alternative, better splits. Not 1.

And you're right. That is a quite excellent post :)

You need to elaborate on this for me.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
if you're mostly concerned about moving up in boxing I'm not sure if weightlifting should play any importance in your goals. I could be wrong but I've not heard of it

Boxing is taking precedence but not lifting at all is not acceptable to me.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Boxing is taking precedence but not lifting at all is not acceptable to me.

Do you have a title fight coming up? Didn't Holyfield lift weights more than once a week when he was training for the heavyweight class?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Do you have a title fight coming up? Didn't Holyfield lift weights more than once a week when he was training for the heavyweight class?

No title fight. Just looking to box masters (35+)@199lbs. I'm down from 244.8 to 228.8.
Hollyfield did lift, Tyson didn't. At least not pre prison. Old school boxers were against lifting. I think the new school of thought is some sort of fast movement low rep lifts mixed with higher rep endurance style. I am out of my element with that kind of stuff.
I have a lifetime of putting weight on the bar and lifting it 6-10 reps, 4 or 5 sets relatively high volume till I start to grow. Change up the exercises, take some time off repeat. I can probably thank genetics for some of my size, hard work and pound my head into the wall until it moves mentality for the rest.
But, at this age 41, and with my boxing goals (time consuming work) and weightlifting goals, (keeping strength, filling the arms, chest and neck of a tee shirt) I am honestly finding what has always worked is too much to be able to achieve my other goals.

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score
So what I keep coming down to is one a day.
Where I only do about 4 or five sets for a specific group and just blast the hell out of it once a week.
Or I do some modified type of 5x5 style program where I do 4 or five basic lifts relatively heavy three times a week to work the entire body three times a week but leave some parts to lag.
Or something I haven't thought of.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
So what I keep coming down to is one a day.
Where I only do about 4 or five sets for a specific group and just blast the hell out of it once a week.
Or I do some modified type of 5x5 style program where I do 4 or five basic lifts relatively heavy three times a week to work the entire body three times a week but leave some parts to lag.
Or something I haven't thought of.

You're really asking for your body to serve two masters here in my opinion. I think lifting can enhance your boxing, something I know nothing about inside the ring, but to what level is hard to say. Too much will have a negative effect on your goals. Damn you got the heart of a lion for wanting to be good at both, I'll give you that.

I think we would all be able to help you a bit more if you could lay out a full week routine of training and include all you do. Remember, the advice you get here will be coming from people who put lifting above most other endeavors so temper those responses with that knowledge. I'm concerned about over training and injury on your behalf.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
You're really asking for your body to serve two masters here in my opinion. I think lifting can enhance your boxing, something I know nothing about inside the ring, but to what level is hard to say. Too much will have a negative effect on your goals. Damn you got the heart of a lion for wanting to be good at both, I'll give you that.

I think we would all be able to help you a bit more if you could lay out a full week routine of training and include all you do. Remember, the advice you get here will be coming from people who put lifting above most other endeavors so temper those responses with that knowledge. I'm concerned about over training and injury on your behalf.

Am wake up
A couple hours of organizational nonsense, nothing physical

Every day around 8-9 (mon-fri)
Stretch
Hop twists 30 (face one direction in fighting stance jump 180 land in balanced fighting stance)
Jump rope 3 min(weighted rope, bare foot, on carpet)
Sit ups(number increases weekly)
Shrugs (5 sets of 20 relatively light weight 135lbs)
Rear bridges (increasing volume weekly)
Weighted front neck curls(increasing volume weekly)
jump rope 3 min

My daily boxing workout involves a mix of sessions done in 3 min rounds followed by 1 min rest.
Usually 4 or 5 of the following a day
Shadow boxing
Slip rope
Maize bag
Mitt work
Heavy bag
Speed bag
I try to do 12 rounds or more in total of a mix if the above. Speed bag is the only exception to the 3 min time. I do 10min, even 20min rounds of the speed bag. (Keeping your hands up and still punching with fatigue is very important)

Cardio (2 to 3 times a week)
Often a one hour run, sometimes broken into 15 min run, three min activity (stairs, jump rope) 15 min run.

Those are the things I need to do for boxing at least 5 days a week. My other obligations are not very demanding and I can arrange them as i want.

That is roughly my weekly work load without lifting.

I take creatine and whey protein in the am
I eat about 2500 calories in 400 calorie chunks (fish, Turkey, rice, vegetables, whole grain bread)
With fruit snacks, trail mix, bran cereals)
I eat a larger calorie 600 supper that varies.
I drink filtered whey every night before bed and eat an orange.

I cheat often on my diet, and try to adjust it as I go so I am getting enough, but still dropping until I level out around 199lbs.

Last edited:

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I boxed I didn’t really lift. High rep and plyo type stuff yes, but pure strength training - nope.

If youre just using boxing to stay in shape, do whatever you want.

Reaction score

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I boxed I didn’t really lift. High rep and plyo type stuff yes, but pure strength training - nope.

If youre just using boxing to stay in shape, do whatever you want.

Also, fwiw, 185lb boxing DYS would have kicked the ever loving shit out of 230 lb PLing DYS.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Also, fwiw, 185lb boxing DYS would have kicked the ever loving shit out of 230 lb PLing DYS.

I'm pretty sure you are beating yourself up here:32 (17):
I would love to fight young me. "Fight IQ" vs bull in a China closet. It would be bloody no doubt, I think old me could weather the storm and win a smart fight.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
You need to elaborate on this for me.
I corrected my original post (72, not 48 hours) but beyond that, and I what I wrote in the original article, there is nothing left to really elaborate on unless you have a specific question :)

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I wrestled for many years and I continued to lift during season but like DYS said not pure strength training.
i did 2-3x full body lifts a week not a lot of volume either and I backed the intensity off
mainly did it to add to my conditioning and to maintain my strength as much as I could. But my workouts were so intense that I didn’t want to over stress my body especially when a tournament was coming up. Deep in the season I would focus on bodyweight stuff for a half hour after practice. But like the others said it’s gonna be hard to master lifting and boxing. Just be careful and listen to your body
don’t overtrain and injure yourself

i know bixing and wrestling aren’t the same but i imagine your boxing sessions are very intense like any other type of fighting sport

New Threads