Getting in better shape

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hi, i’m a 22 year old boy who wants to get in better shape. I wouldn’t say i’m extremely obese but i would say i’m a little overweight. With summer coming up I want to have that summer body, or at least the start of a summer body. I understand loosing fat and building muscle takes commitment and time. I have access to a gym every day, I just don’t feel motivated to go. My diet is surprisingly really good. Recently I cut soda and fatty junk foods out of my diet which I can tell helps a lot. Any advice on workout routines and certain exercises to do. I want to mainly focus on chest, arms, and back. Legs come naturally for me as I play hockey. Obviously it’s always good to work on everything but the 3 i mentioned above is a must for me. Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hi, i’m a 22 year old boy who wants to get in better shape. I wouldn’t say i’m extremely obese but i would say i’m a little overweight. With summer coming up I want to have that summer body, or at least the start of a summer body. I understand loosing fat and building muscle takes commitment and time. I have access to a gym every day, I just don’t feel motivated to go. My diet is surprisingly really good. Recently I cut soda and fatty junk foods out of my diet which I can tell helps a lot. Any advice on workout routines and certain exercises to do. I want to mainly focus on chest, arms, and back. Legs come naturally for me as I play hockey. Obviously it’s always good to work on everything but the 3 i mentioned above is a must for me. Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome.

Start by referring to yourself as a Man instead of a boy. Instant gains.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you're doing better by your diet so the weight loss will come in time. As for the gym, just get in and push the weight around at this point. You have some beginner gains coming your way. Once you hit a sticking point, refine your workouts. For now, keep it short. You can get a lot done 3x/wk for as little as an hour providing you put your phone down and pick up a weight.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
“Surprisingly really good” doesn’t mean much. 5,000 calories of chicken broccoli and rice is still 5k calories. Read up on the diet threads and start looking at your TDEE and calories. You have a head start but there’s always another step.

welcome and good luck!

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but 22 yr old "BOY"? Sounds so weird.

Anyways, my ONLY real advise is as follows:

Keep at it. Go to the gym regularly, whether 5 times a week, or 3 times, just make sure YOU GO. If you're overweight focus more on Cardio now, lets say 3 times a week for 30-45min.

It really all depends WHAT YOU WANT. If you're not motivated, key word YOU, it will be hard. Keep going weight yourself once a week same time, and you should see your weight go down. Log the weight so you can go back see your work is paying off.

You can get where you want to be in so many different ways. Pick a path. Make a plan (8-12 weeks); set realistic goals, and if all goes only half way the way you wanted to, you wil see results.

Rinse repeat (different program). Hire a personal coach, there used be this cool '******' Mod here *cough* *cough* who helped me with a creating a program which fit my needs, and believe it or not, I am sticking to the same overall program or logic since. There's a section here called workouts and training with amazing Info.

Bottom line, It takes some time to see the first changes, keep a log so you see you're successful. It helps some.

Hello everyone,

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Edit, didnt read the previous posts by Jin and Snake and all. Good advise :L)

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think your more gender neutral then boy or man

Reaction score
When working out, focus on bigger muscle groups like the quads, glutes, back, and chest, rather than the smaller muscles like the triceps, or biceps. This will lead to a higher expenditure of energy, which will, in turn, lead to increased fat loss.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Find something you enjoy any type of routine it doesn’t matter. What matters is finding something that will keep you going to the gym. You can change it up once you have formed a good habit of exercising

elena

Lady Member
Reaction score
You should focus on your diet and you should do cardio with weight lifting as well for being in good shape.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Interesting that someone posted a reply to a post from two months ago and the op never responded to the initial answers. lol

New Threads