Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Getting in better shape

Hello everyone,

Hi, i’m a 22 year old boy who wants to get in better shape. I wouldn’t say i’m extremely obese but i would say i’m a little overweight. With summer coming up I want to have that summer body, or at least the start of a summer body. I understand loosing fat and building muscle takes commitment and time. I have access to a gym every day, I just don’t feel motivated to go. My diet is surprisingly really good. Recently I cut soda and fatty junk foods out of my diet which I can tell helps a lot. Any advice on workout routines and certain exercises to do. I want to mainly focus on chest, arms, and back. Legs come naturally for me as I play hockey. Obviously it’s always good to work on everything but the 3 i mentioned above is a must for me. Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Last edited by PillarofBalance; 04-23-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,159 Times in 4,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elysse77 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Hi, i’m a 22 year old boy who wants to get in better shape. I wouldn’t say i’m extremely obese but i would say i’m a little overweight. With summer coming up I want to have that summer body, or at least the start of a summer body. I understand loosing fat and building muscle takes commitment and time. I have access to a gym every day, I just don’t feel motivated to go. My diet is surprisingly really good. Recently I cut soda and fatty junk foods out of my diet which I can tell helps a lot. Any advice on workout routines and certain exercises to do. I want to mainly focus on chest, arms, and back. Legs come naturally for me as I play hockey. Obviously it’s always good to work on everything but the 3 i mentioned above is a must for me. Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Welcome.

Start by referring to yourself as a Man instead of a boy. Instant gains.

Unrestrained Moderation.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

BigGameHunter (04-23-2019),CJ275 (04-23-2019),DF (06-12-2019),dk8594 (04-24-2019),Gibsonator (06-12-2019),Long (04-23-2019),snake (04-23-2019),The Tater (04-23-2019),Uncle manny (04-23-2019),Viduus (04-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,980 Times in 4,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Welcome.

Start by referring to yourself as a Man instead of a boy. Instant gains.
    Beat me to it.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

DF (06-12-2019),Long (04-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,980 Times in 4,299 Posts
    Well it sounds like you're doing better by your diet so the weight loss will come in time. As for the gym, just get in and push the weight around at this point. You have some beginner gains coming your way. Once you hit a sticking point, refine your workouts. For now, keep it short. You can get a lot done 3x/wk for as little as an hour providing you put your phone down and pick up a weight.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

BigGameHunter (04-23-2019),Long (04-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,149 Posts
    “Surprisingly really good” doesn’t mean much. 5,000 calories of chicken broccoli and rice is still 5k calories. Read up on the diet threads and start looking at your TDEE and calories. You have a head start but there’s always another step.

welcome and good luck!
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-60 Bench-Bar&one clip Deadlift-NA

Thanks
    Sorry, but 22 yr old "BOY"? Sounds so weird.

Anyways, my ONLY real advise is as follows:

Keep at it. Go to the gym regularly, whether 5 times a week, or 3 times, just make sure YOU GO. If you're overweight focus more on Cardio now, lets say 3 times a week for 30-45min.

It really all depends WHAT YOU WANT. If you're not motivated, key word YOU, it will be hard. Keep going weight yourself once a week same time, and you should see your weight go down. Log the weight so you can go back see your work is paying off.

You can get where you want to be in so many different ways. Pick a path. Make a plan (8-12 weeks); set realistic goals, and if all goes only half way the way you wanted to, you wil see results.

Rinse repeat (different program). Hire a personal coach, there used be this cool '******' Mod here *cough* *cough* who helped me with a creating a program which fit my needs, and believe it or not, I am sticking to the same overall program or logic since. There's a section here called workouts and training with amazing Info.

Bottom line, It takes some time to see the first changes, keep a log so you see you're successful. It helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by elysse77 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you!

Thanks
    Edit, didnt read the previous posts by Jin and Snake and all. Good advise :L)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,272 Times in 3,565 Posts
    I think your more gender neutral then boy or man

Thanks
    When working out, focus on bigger muscle groups like the quads, glutes, back, and chest, rather than the smaller muscles like the triceps, or biceps. This will lead to a higher expenditure of energy, which will, in turn, lead to increased fat loss.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Find something you enjoy any type of routine it doesn’t matter. What matters is finding something that will keep you going to the gym. You can change it up once you have formed a good habit of exercising

Your better to be looking at it than looking for it..Me

Lady Member
    Thanks
    You should focus on your diet and you should do cardio with weight lifting as well for being in good shape.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elena View Post
    You should focus on your diet and you should do cardio with weight lifting as well for being in good shape.
    groundbreaking advice here holy shitballz

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibsonator For This Useful Post:

motown1002 (06-12-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast