New to ug but not to working out and need some tips

Reaction score
Ok this is gonna be a long story, but here we go. A few years ago, I was in my last semester of college about to graduate from UF, until I came down with bacterial meningitis from “swimming in dirty water,”I was told. However the only dirty water I was ever around was the sewage overflows in my crappy apartment that I made multiple complaints about to the office that were unanswered. I even went to the hospital and they started giving me an x ray which had nothing to do with what I was complaining about! So of course, they stereotyped me as a typical college kid partying and doing drugs and told me it was a flu. I knew it wasn’t and was something worse and asked them if they would just do their job and check my white blood cells count for an infection, but they insisted that they already did everything they could and just prescribed me some ambien for sleeping (one of my complaints among other classic bacterial meningitis symptoms like stiff neck, etc) and then I said “alright I’ll see you guys in a few weeks.” I had hoped I was just kidding, but boy was I wrong. One night after getting home from the gym, I went to make a protein shake, but I bumped into the button to turn on the stove it was sitting on, and the next thing I know is I’m laying down in my bed and my fire alarms going off; but thank god I love the cold weather (Gainesville) because if my window wasn’t open, my neighbor couldn’t have climbed into my apartment and saved my life by calling 911. Cuz I guess by the time I got to the hospital, I had so much carbon monoxide poisoning and I suffered from a consequential stroke and I was seizing. When I got to the hospital they did a spinal tap and confirmed it was bacterial meningitis. My family was called and they rushed from west Palm Beach, and by the time they arrived, they had already removed my right side of my skull to relieve the pressure. Next they had to resect a lobe of my brain. Of course, I was medically induced in a coma for about 3-4 months where I had some of the most vivid dreams of my life (I see why Michael Jackson was addicted to propofol) when I finally woke up, I couldn’t talk yet which was probably the most frustrating thing, and I was freaked out when I learned what had happened and my whole left side was paralyzed. So what I’m wondering is, what besides quad extensions and leg press are really good for building your quads? I do everything that I’m able to one side at a time by the way, to avoid looking like an uneven retard. So my left side is much weaker from my stroke and less coordinated among other things.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Holy ****ing shit.

Glad you are alive.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What in the ever living ****

That's a mind blowing confluence of events.

I think you need to make sure you do something with your life.

In the meantime, are you medically cleared to lift?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
You have been through hell my man.

The symptoms your having are neurological and there's little that can help that now. Still keep trying and work with high reps. Several different angles and movements would be better to get those pathways firing. Wish I could help more.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
What in the ever living ****

That's a mind blowing confluence of events.

I think you need to make sure you do something with your life.

In the meantime, are you medically cleared to lift?

I think POB is saying your ass got saved for a reason. Find that reason and put your heart into it.

I agree.

Reaction score
Thanks man, ya it was really an intense coma dream lol (I can joke about it now) I was supposed to die and all, but somehow made it. By the way, here are some pictures that I couldn’t post cuz my post count
34ff1aa7bd558793f1f5dbe4fb4deaaf.jpg

When I woke up from my coma—
4cdeadfae72411448463178458c0d33e.jpg
(~148lbs here down from 185
68e904929da92ec449928a0afc0e83a3.jpg
—before the “accident”

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I still am trying to wrap my head around this. I am not a clinician but I work in infection control. If I see a college kid complaining about neck pain, first thought is meningitis.

Wow

Reaction score
I know right! That’s what I thought and ESPECIALLY when shands (the UF hospital) is supposedly one of the best around. Yet, I was telling them EXACTLY what to do and this whole life-ruining event would’ve/could’ve been avoided—but oh well there’s no point in dwelling on that now .

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Holy shit you been but through the mill, hope you can get yourself back on track. That’s pure neglect you should sue for millions

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Dude. Welcome to the board. Glad you are alive. Thanks for sharing your story.

Wanna hear my favorite joke?

What do you call someone who graduated at the bottom of their Med. class?

A doctor.

Reaction score
Lmao I like that one, it definitely applies to my situation . And to the other guy above, I know it SHOULD be a gigantic ****in lawsuit against both the hospital and the apartment complex for negligence, but they have a bullshit law against suing the hospital and “there’s no medical evidence” to go after the complex. Plus it’s past the statute of limitations. I should NEVER have to work another day in my life but I seriously got ****ed over.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Well no matter what dude, we are glad you are alive and also respect the hell out of you for wanting to be the best you can with the shitty hand you have been dealt. If you stick around and make friends, we can direct newbies who are complaining too much about life being hard to you to set them straight!

Reaction score
Thank you for all the kind words, I really do appreciate it (all of you) I just wanted some people to know not to ever take ANYTHING for granted, especially life because If you would’ve told me back in high school “Sean you’re going to pretty much die right as you’re about to finish college from a stroke and have part of your brain removed,” I would’ve laughed at you and brushed it off.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground man.

Glad you're still with us, I think anyone here would definitely love to help you as much as possible.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, anyone here ever hear of clonus? I now have to deal with that unfortunately in my left foot.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok this is gonna be a long story, but here we go. A few years ago, I was in my last semester of college about to graduate from UF, until I came down with bacterial meningitis from “swimming in dirty water,”I was told. However the only dirty water I was ever around was the sewage overflows in my crappy apartment that I made multiple complaints about to the office that were unanswered. I even went to the hospital and they started giving me an x ray which had nothing to do with what I was complaining about! So of course, they stereotyped me as a typical college kid partying and doing drugs and told me it was a flu. I knew it wasn’t and was something worse and asked them if they would just do their job and check my white blood cells count for an infection, but they insisted that they already did everything they could and just prescribed me some ambien for sleeping (one of my complaints among other classic bacterial meningitis symptoms like stiff neck, etc) and then I said “alright I’ll see you guys in a few weeks.” I had hoped I was just kidding, but boy was I wrong. One night after getting home from the gym, I went to make a protein shake, but I bumped into the button to turn on the stove it was sitting on, and the next thing I know is I’m laying down in my bed and my fire alarms going off; but thank god I love the cold weather (Gainesville) because if my window wasn’t open, my neighbor couldn’t have climbed into my apartment and saved my life by calling 911. Cuz I guess by the time I got to the hospital, I had so much carbon monoxide poisoning and I suffered from a consequential stroke and I was seizing. When I got to the hospital they did a spinal tap and confirmed it was bacterial meningitis. My family was called and they rushed from west Palm Beach, and by the time they arrived, they had already removed my right side of my skull to relieve the pressure. Next they had to resect a lobe of my brain. Of course, I was medically induced in a coma for about 3-4 months where I had some of the most vivid dreams of my life (I see why Michael Jackson was addicted to propofol) when I finally woke up, I couldn’t talk yet which was probably the most frustrating thing, and I was freaked out when I learned what had happened and my whole left side was paralyzed. So what I’m wondering is, what besides quad extensions and leg press are really good for building your quads? I do everything that I’m able to one side at a time by the way, to avoid looking like an uneven retard. So my left side is much weaker from my stroke and less coordinated among other things.

Wow....wow....Welcome and great job at getting through the hell that some folks have to go through!!! Glad you are back at doing what you enjoy! Have you tried youtube to look up some things that are maybe out of the ordinary due to your weakness / other quad issues? I've found some great things on there for my "also left leg issues":32 (20):

Good luck and ..kick ass!!!

New Threads