Marginal Gains

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Well there's plenty of research done on the foot position and it's been shown not to matter.

Glad the shoulder thing worked out for ya, less the pain you got when ya sleep on them. I get that too.

It’s so true that after a decade or two of lifting, you can find something new that sparks muscle growth. All I do is, train, train, train. Sometimes I find a new perspective and change my workout style completely and it sparks new growth! BTW- I hate sleeping in my back! But, if I don’t, my arms, hands, shoulders all go completely numb and tingly. Especially runnning GH and Tren!!

Max

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hulk did I mention what I do here? Can't say Im doing it wrong if I never put it in the thread now can ya?

Not you snake

A memory of me talking about gastrocnemius being fast-twitch was my basis.

No snake involved at all! Shoulda said so, i just used as a platform to get the word out

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
What the hell are you saying or asking? I'm lost Vids

Hulk touched on it but I was asking what you do for each calf muscle and are you doing high rep or heavy?

I’ve heard conflicting opinions for each muscle. I’m less interested in the science and fast/slow and more curious about what has or hasn’t worked in real people.

For example: seated calf I’ve been doing about 5 sets at 70-80% of max because I’m dealing with cramps in my right calf. If I didn’t have that limitation, I might go higher and do limited reps with more weight but is that better or worse then 15 sets at 60%

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Well there's plenty of research done on the foot position and it's been shown not to matter.

Glad the shoulder thing worked out for ya, less the pain you got when ya sleep on them. I get that too.

Probably true. I'm still doing things like it's two or three decades ago.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I have to say I put more on my calves then my bis but my arms are pushing my upper limits.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Snake threads generally are:

1. Snake complaining about young whippersnappers and what’s wrong with the world today.

OR

2. Snake complaining about his calves and lack of them

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not saying this is you, cause you know what you're doing and have probably tried everything, but I didn't really start to see improvements in my calves until I drastically reduced the weight and really began to focus on the contraction. I do seated calf raises now a days with 70 lbs (as opposed to days when I used 200 +) and it has paid dividends.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I gave up cheese curls. I couldn't get the right gains from them so I switched it up to pop tarts again lol.. all bullshit aside I gave up on abs. My loose skin from my obese days hides them anyway. Full em.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Its odd to me that we can grow our arms so much larger than our calves.

Is that true, though?

Everyone uses calves daily, so they adapt for slow-twitch work.

Giving your calves fast-twitch work (heavy loads in 3-6 rep range) is rarely done by anyone. Look at any forum.

Yet, people give arms plenty of heavy loads and attention. Thus, it appears that "arms grow easier". My hypothesis to that.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Ballet dancers don't do heavy weight and low reps, and have pretty sweet calf muscles.

But they definitely do full contractions though.

Just an observation.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Its odd to me that we can grow our arms so much larger than our calves.

Is that true, though?

Everyone uses calves daily, so they adapt for slow-twitch work.

Giving your calves fast-twitch work (heavy loads in 3-6 rep range) is rarely done by anyone. Look at any forum.

Yet, people give arms plenty of heavy loads and attention. Thus, it appears that "arms grow easier". My hypothesis to that.

To put his to bed from a BB stand point; neck, calves and bi's should be the same.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
To put his to bed from a BB stand point; neck, calves and bi's should be the same.

Clarify "should be the same". It confused me lol

I assume you mean they should all be adapted to light loads?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Ballet dancers don't do heavy weight and low reps, and have pretty sweet calf muscles.

But they definitely do full contractions though.

Just an observation.

They also do about a billion reps every day.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
They also do about a billion reps every day.

Exactly, so maybe high volume/frequency in the extreme ends of range of motion is worth considering.

I've been a member of the 'calves every day' club for a few months now, and they definitely have grown. Still look like kickstands, but now bigger kickstands.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly, so maybe high volume/frequency in the extreme ends of range of motion is worth considering.

I've been a member of the 'calves every day' club for a few months now, and they definitely have grown. Still look like kickstands, but now bigger kickstands.

I assume you taped them before and now. What was the gains and in what time frame?

New Threads