Marginal Gains

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Looking back on some old records I see that my weakest body part has added at best, 3/4" over the the last 3+ years. Fuuk calves! If someone told me 3 years ago that it was going to take that long to put on that little, I may have opted out. Hell I never really took them serious until 3 years ago but still did them. You would think I should of had some beginner gains in there but nope, worked for what little I got.

Is there a body part or a lift that you just gave up on?

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Looking back on some old records I see that my weakest body part has added at best, 3/4" over the the last 3+ years. Fuuk calves! If someone told me 3 years ago that it was going to take that long to put on that little, I may have opted out. Hell I never really took them serious until 3 years ago but still did them. You would think I should of had some beginner gains in there but nope, worked for what little I got.

Calves are a ****ing tough, stubborn muscle group! I agree

Max

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
I gave up on the d*ck muscle. lol Nothing helps that little guy.

Calves same for me snake. I gave up on them until about a year ago. :32 (17):

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
What do your workouts look like? Weight-wise how would you rate what you’re doing for each excessive vs a max.

I’m curious since I’ve started training calves separately and I’m still trying to decide what I think “works” though your post appears to say nothing :32 (6):

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
What do your workouts look like? Weight-wise how would you rate what you’re doing for each excessive vs a max.

I’m curious since I’ve started training calves separately and I’m still trying to decide what I think “works” though your post appears to say nothing :32 (6):

What the hell are you saying or asking? I'm lost Vids

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't even work calves, they're pretty jacked as it is.
Chest - different story. Fuk.
I unfriend you rhino!
Yeah, you're the Fuukers I hate. Bet ya walk around in the dead of winter with shorts on, don't ya? Lol

Long

Elite
Reaction score

When I first started lifting my shoulders were shit. I disliked doing them at all. Frankly I hated doing shoulders. Then I decided that **** it I'm going to do them first, hardest and do more of them. I almost always hit them front, side, rear and pressing movements now. I feel like I cheated if I do less. Shoulders have been my favorite for years now. I also have a deep pain that radiates from both shoulders at night so...

Calves are a bitch. Like abs and forearms. Got to hit them every day, with the feet at all three different angles.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I unfriend you rhino!
Yeah, you're the Fuukers I hate. Bet ya walk around in the dead of winter with shorts on, don't ya? Lol

Lol, I do.
But I can't take my shirt off, so I'd trade places with you any day bro.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Because no one realizes the gastrocnemius is fast-twitch

I tell everyone here over and over to STOP doing all the ****ing high reps, high sets bullshit! Why does no one listen?

If you want big calves, then do:
  • BB Toe raises only
  • Heavy weight in the 6-8 rep range, 5 sets minimum
  • Go barefoot or paper-thin soles
  • Full ROM, fully flexed when heel is high as possiblr
  • Pause when feet are on the ground, to stop the "spring reflex"
  • calves 2x a week

The soleus is slow-twitch fibers and don't give them the diamond look.

Now you can have huge calves snake, unless you do like I've done recently and forget to hit them at all lol

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I gave up on wrist curls many years ago

People joke, but only FIVE bodybuilders are ever listed in "best forearms" discussions.

Everybody just hits the brachioradialis and calls it a day. How the hell ANYONE can be proud of forearms that aren't Frank mcGrath or Gunnar Rosbo level is beyond comprehension.

Then again, most people feel proud to not be #1 in their undertakings. That I can't understand, either.

How can anyone be happy and not be #1/die trying to be #1 in all areas of their life?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Because no one realizes the gastrocnemius is fast-twitch

I tell everyone here over and over to STOP doing all the ****ing high reps, high sets bullshit! Why does no one listen?

If you want big calves, then do:
  • BB Toe raises only
  • Heavy weight in the 6-8 rep range, 5 sets minimum
  • Go barefoot or paper-thin soles
  • Full ROM, fully flexed when heel is high as possiblr
  • Pause when feet are on the ground, to stop the "spring reflex"
  • calves 2x a week

The soleus is slow-twitch fibers and don't give them the diamond look.

Now you can have huge calves snake, unless you do like I've done recently and forget to hit them at all lol

Hulk did I mention what I do here? Can't say Im doing it wrong if I never put it in the thread now can ya?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Calves are a bitch. Like abs and forearms. Got to hit them every day, with the feet at all three different angles.

Well there's plenty of research done on the foot position and it's been shown not to matter.

Glad the shoulder thing worked out for ya, less the pain you got when ya sleep on them. I get that too.