How many training days per week are optimal?

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
More Issues To Consider:

is Shoulders a bodypart for you, or do you let it get taken care of on Back days and Chest days?

if Shoulders is its own day, do you do Triceps on that day or Chest day or some other day?

Biceps would pretty much have to go on Back day, or ... NO ... you split them away from Back day?

sounds like most here don't split any more than just Push - Pull - Legs, or do some here split into a bunch of bodyparts like the Pros claim to do?

anybody split Quads from Hams? Calves go with Legs or added after different days? Specific forearm work or just figure they get hit somewhere?

anybody have the luxury of hitting the gym twice on some days, like a major workout and a "little" one later for things you don't prioritize but don't wanna leave out?

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
2 days per 7 day period was too much for me, at least for the long run. Except for calfs and traps.
I do push/pull/legs/rest day then repeat. Sometimes two rest days then repeat
so it ends up hitting each muscle every 4-5 days so not really looking at a 7 day week timeframe as it’s on a roaring schedule.
But like you and everyone is saying everyone’s different. Some do better with more frequency. I prefer the more frequency but less volume per workout. I am able to train more intense that way versus doing one day of high volume per week for each muscle

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I've tried every variation Weider, Arthur Jones and I could think of over the years, and I'm pretty much settled on 3 on, 1 off myself. Helping me reach that decision is the collection of orthopedic woes I've collected that limit my menu of exercises a bit. K*I*S*S = push, pull, legs for me and gives me the peace of mind of knowing I'm doing what's best for the current version of me. When you think about it, 3 on, 1 off leads to 2 workouts per week for each bodypart .... it's just that your week is 8 days long instead of 7. I can always tweak the volume a/o intensity if I feel flat sometimes, while sticking to the basic blueprint.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
More Issues To Consider:

is Shoulders a bodypart for you, or do you let it get taken care of on Back days and Chest days?

if Shoulders is its own day, do you do Triceps on that day or Chest day or some other day?

Biceps would pretty much have to go on Back day, or ... NO ... you split them away from Back day?

sounds like most here don't split any more than just Push - Pull - Legs, or do some here split into a bunch of bodyparts like the Pros claim to do?

anybody split Quads from Hams? Calves go with Legs or added after different days? Specific forearm work or just figure they get hit somewhere?

anybody have the luxury of hitting the gym twice on some days, like a major workout and a "little" one later for things you don't prioritize but don't wanna leave out?

1) I don’t train anterior delts. IMO they get enough from presses. However, I still do medial and posterior work. I do medial with my chest workout and posterior with my back workout.

2) I don’t do much for biceps and never really got why so many people do such heavy volume. I do four sets on bicep curls on my chest, delt, arm day.

3) I split calves and abs out separate from the regular push, pull , leg protocol. My theory is that if I did legs right, I won’t have any left to give calves. Hence they get their own day.

4) No, I don’t separate quads and hams. Besides leg extensions and leg curls, I haven’t found a way to work one without working the other to some degree.

5) if I was able to spend all day napping and recovering I might consider it. As it stands now though, it would be a recipe for running myself down

elena

Lady Member
Reaction score
you are doing good. i am also go to the gym for about 4 days a week.

New Threads