Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Front Squat VS Back Squat..Preference?

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about my squats lately, and being that I do have a lifelong injury, one leg is about an inch shorter than the other, form is extremely important to me...I wonder if one version would be better for people recovering or starting out with little muscle development.

My current (limited) level of understanding is...

• The front squat involves the bar being in front(Duh) similar to an Barbell Overhead Press, right?

• The back squat is probably the most commonly known, with the bar resting on the back neck, between the shoulders.

Theory...

Some say that with the back squat, it is easy to miss underlying mobility and flexibility restrictions that if left unattended, could lead to other/more issues and poor form...
    Instead, it is said that the front squat exposes these weak areas, so that these areas can be worked on to improve overall form. For example if during the front squat, your elbows drop or your back rounds maybe your thoracic extension is limited. Maybe your ankles lack mobility. Whatever the issue is, it is said that the front squat would reveal it.

Thoughts, preferences?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StonedFish For This Useful Post:

maxmuscle1 (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StonedFish View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about my squats lately, and being that I do have a lifelong injury, one leg is about an inch shorter than the other, form is extremely important to me...I wonder if one version would be better for people recovering or starting out with little muscle development.

• The front squat involves the bar being in front(Duh) similar to an Barbell Overhead Press, right?

• The back squat is probably the most commonly known, with the bar resting on the back neck, between the shoulders.

Theory...

Some say that with the back squat, it is easy to miss underlying mobility and flexibility restrictions that if left unattended, could lead to other/more issues and poor form...
    Instead, it is said that the front squat exposes these weak areas, so that these areas can be worked on to improve overall form. For example if during the front squat, your elbows drop or your back rounds maybe your thoracic extension is limited. Maybe your ankles lack mobility. Whatever the issue is, it is said that the front squat would reveal it.

Thoughts, preferences?
    I like traditional back squats for overall growth and front squats for teardrop(front sweep)improvement/definition. They are both great compound exercises.

Max

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maxmuscle1 For This Useful Post:

StonedFish (05-04-2019)

"There is no litter in my litter box" Phil L
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,885 Times in 1,359 Posts
    Front squats for me......
    Everything heals with semen- Rise 2018

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyingdragon For This Useful Post:

Grizzly911 (05-04-2019),maxmuscle1 (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Both good, but usually you lose form in a front squat way before your legs wear out. It's usually something else that's the limiting factor, usually upper back/thoracic.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

Jin (05-04-2019),Metalhead1 (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    I do a combination of barbell back squats then I perform a "super squat" on the hack squat machine, which is more like a front squat.

My issue with back squats is that I fold up weird, and tend to lean forward some, thereby preventing me from going A2G. When I am in the reverse position on the hack squat machine, the weight is more centered over my body, and I can literally bounce my ass off my ankles. If I had better shoulder and wrist mobility, I would perform more front squats, but I don't so hack squats are the next best thing for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to notsoswoleCPA For This Useful Post:

StonedFish (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,336 Posts
    With your issue, Id highly recommend single leg, leg press. Great overall developer and your length difference will have zero impact.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gadawg For This Useful Post:

notsoswoleCPA (05-04-2019),StonedFish (05-04-2019),Trump (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    I typically do a low bar squat but I will have days with high bar squat to hit my quads a little more and I usually tend to go deeper with high bar. I would like to perfect my front squat a little more because all different variations of squats have so much carryover into each other.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Thatgoodfellow For This Useful Post:

StonedFish (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Hammer also has isolateral leg press machines if you can find one. (I personally can’t stand them and just use a regular LP one leg at a time.)
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-60 Bench-Bar&one clip Deadlift-NA

Thanks
    Front squats are typically better for athletes. Seeing that you do mma you could definitely benefit from them. Having the barbell loaded across the shoulders will help develop a ton of core strength that you need. Back squats serve their purpose as well. In your case Id definitely do both but more front squats...

(one thousand Bitches!)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle manny For This Useful Post:

Jin (05-04-2019),StonedFish (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,486 Posts
    1' is a pretty noticeable discrepancy and if not properly addressed while training could cause you some problems and injury. Have you done anything to address this imbalance when you squat or deadlift?
    "The weight teaches you"

Strength First.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StonedFish View Post
    Hey everyone,

Theory...

Thoughts, preferences?

Hey Stonedfish, welcome to the ug. Jeff Nippard recently did a video on youtube on comparisons of front squats squats and found out that on the front squats the depth is lower therefore you get a greater range of motion for the quads. But all top bodybuilders these days perform back squats and front squats. I'm no top bodybuilder myself but I get better results when I include both of those in my leg training session. Good luck! Hope this helps for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-mQm_droHg&t=388s

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grizzly911 For This Useful Post:

maxmuscle1 (05-06-2019),StonedFish (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    1' is a pretty noticeable discrepancy and if not properly addressed while training could cause you some problems and injury. Have you done anything to address this imbalance when you squat or deadlift?
    I wear a lift in the shoe of the shorter leg all day every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast