Thread: New knee

Thanks

New knee

Are there any members here that have had a knee replacement?
    ive had three op's and now theres nothing more to do apart from replace it over the winter time ( becouse of work )
    my main concern is whats it going to be like with training when its healed?
    How long must i wait till i can start pushing weights again ?
    Can i still do body building ? I dont want to be running around with skinny legs and looking like a twat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 722 Posts
    Im subscribing since both mine need replaced, bone on bone/arthritis, missing ACL’s; 4 scopes to date on both- so curious how others respond. I talked about rehab on my knees, while my trainer was PTing my shoulder after surgery. She said total knee your only down 4 weeks total, repairs typically 2-3x’s that so repairs can take a set. She told me we will jump right in day after surgery to keep busting any scar tissue at a minimum and reach maximum ROM possible.

she did say they make a bunch of different replacement knee designs based on persons age/size/and realistic activity level; so YOU do have a choice not to use the basic ass general replacement knee the ortho uses because that company issues biggest kick backs. Get the knee design that allows you to still do what you do

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IHI For This Useful Post:

Highlander (05-09-2019),rawdeal (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,183 Posts
    I too have had 3 surgeries and I need a replacement. I’ve been putting it off but eventually I need to deal with it.
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead.
    Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
    Do not walk beside me either.
    Pretty much just leave me alone.

Thanks
    Not trying to be a pisspants, but AM trying to avoid bad surprises for Highlander, or maybe me in the future.

If there are different types of knee replacement hardware, the better ones probably cost more than ones usually used(?) Wonder if an insurance company might treat a patient well with the usual version but screw him if the doctor or patient chooses a more expensive type. Might be a good idea to discuss this with the doctor and/or insurance company.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,993 Times in 4,032 Posts
    Knee and hip replacements are super common these days. After a month or so of rehab you’ll be 100% pain free and wonder why you put it off.

This is has been the common reaction from about half a dozen people I know that have received new joints.

The Vanilla Godzilla

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Highlander (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Knee and hip replacements are super common these days. After a month or so of rehab you’ll be 100% pain free and wonder why you put it off.

This is has been the common reaction from about half a dozen people I know that have received new joints.
    I don’t know half a dozen people in total
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead.
    Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
    Do not walk beside me either.
    Pretty much just leave me alone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight30weight For This Useful Post:

Jin (05-10-2019),JuiceTrain (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post

Can we get an indication of things to expect from those people? I mean, most on UG hope to get back to serious lifting, are any of those folks gym rats, or at least above-average active in some other way?

No knee replacement here, but I did have medium heavy leg surgery 3 yrs ago. The guy that did it worked through the University medical school, had all his Surgical Residents in tow when I had my routine post-op appt. a few weeks later, long before I was gtg yet. He read aloud from the pre-op paperwork I'd filled out, where in the Goals part I'd written "to be able to squat again," and they all chuckled. I AM back, probably at 90%, but I think they usually saw answers like "going out to the mailbox" or "do a little light gardening." My hesitation with any orthopedic surgery is about what percentage recovery can I expect, am I better off in the long run getting the surgery now vs. working around things in the gym till the need becomes undeniable. That's not a question to the board of course, it is just the kind of shit that occupies my mind as I acquire more suspect joints. Seems like the best thing is to get a doctor who works a lot with athletes, in my case the guy was randomly assigned when I turned up in the ER on a major holiday weekend. Not saying he was incompetent, just that most doctors don't think like we do.

Thanks
    How old are you?

Thanks
    Here's the thing. After surgery you should be pain free and able to walk around with ease again. Like Jin said, you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner.
    Will you be able to bodybuilding again? Provided you opt for the replacement suited for more physically active people, yes you should be able to.
    The question you need to be concerned with is, to what extent do you really want to?
    Knee and hip replacements usually have a lifespan before they wear out and need to be replaced. I've heard anywhere from 15 to 30 year life spans depending on the quality and amount of usage.
    So body building will accelerate the wear and tear and will result in you possibly having to replace the k ee replacement sooner.
    In my opinion, if it were me, id go light/medium lifting on the legs. Heavy lifting just may not be worth it anymore at this point.
    I've heard there are some bodybuilders with hip replacements that are training almost the same as they were, but they're only a couple or few years post surgery, so who knows how soon before their replacement will wear out.
    I'd be also be cautious if your doctor says you'll be fine lifting as normal. Remember, this is how they make a living. I'm sure he wouldn't mind making a few more bucks on a second surgery sooner than normal.
    Good Luck to you. Hope all goes well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAXNY For This Useful Post:

Jin (05-11-2019),rawdeal (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    I work with a fella in his early 60s who has had both knees replaced. He said he’d do it again in a heartbeat, wishes he did it sooner.

His only complaints are one leg is a little restless... can’t be seated too long and crawling is a no go. Too much pain on the knees. Mobility and pain under normal conditions is not an issue though.