Biceps pumps vs Tricep pumps

El Gringo

Reaction score
I’ve always heard that triceps make up 2/3 of the arm while biceps make up 1/3. Yet when it comes to feeling the pump in the gym, my arms look and feel lot bigger after bicep exercises compared to doing tricep exercises.

Is is this the norm, or do I just not make the same mind/muscle connection with my triceps as I do with my biceps?

or do I just not hit them as hard? I do the same volume for triceps as biceps, but even if I did 3 sets of biceps compared to 6 sets of triceps, I’ll still have a bigger pump on my biceps

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ime my triceps were capable of tolerating significant abuse. Way more than biceps. You might just need to hit them with more volume.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
What tricep exercises do you do?

The trick to a good pump is low test times.

Superset weighted dips with tricep push downs.

Reduce the push down weight just a little bit and try the 15-25 rep range. Even add in some quick partials using bands or the cable press down. 30-45 seconds max between sets.

Diamond pushups also work instead of the heavy dips. I don’t close grip bench much but that could work as well. Just don’t take forever setting up etc.

Reaction score
If I do a superset of 3x10 EZ bar skull crushers then curls and then straight to a super set of rope triceps extensions and then rope curls I will get the most ridiculous pump. I almost feel weird because my arms are so much bigger and almost busting out my sleeves.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Although overall symmetry in general is what Im after

The first & formost thing I look at in the mirror is the bicep

if the bicep looks weak im fillin a bucket with water or whatever I can get my hands on & curling asap

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
The mind-muscle connection definitely works and try doing doing supersets for biceps first then move onto triceps supersets. Could be your biceps are a weak point when it comes to the pump.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Sometimes it's an angles game, it's pretty easy to catch the whole bicep in the mirror in like a front double bi. Not so easy to get the whole tricep in view.

Personally, I've also noticed a good tricep pump tends to flatten the way the muscle looks for me. All 3 heads get blown up, not always evenly so sometimes the medial head overpowers the others and it looks flat. I know my arm is pumped with the way my sleeves stop fitting but it just looks off.

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score
For me a good full biceps pump feels good. I can feel the very peak of the biceps if I hold it at full contraction. The contraction kind of concentrates on a quarter sized spot at the peak.
The triceps for me is like calves. It's not "oh **** yeah this shit feels good" like biceps, it's more "shit that burns" better shake it out.

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
3 muscles vs. 2. You're likely not hitting inner tri hard enough

Mix in some overhead dumbell extensions and report back
Keep your elbows in, movement should not look like like a car jack

wrong------>View attachment 7950

Reactions: CJ

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I burnout my tris on decline close grip skull crushers. moderate weight, high reps so I don't piss off my elbows and then I finish on cables with v bar pushdowns, single arm overhand and underhand grip pushdowns and overhead single arm as well. they are dead and burning up by the time I get done.

elena

Lady Member
Reaction score
you are not hitting your triceps hard. i think you are good at biceps muscle thatswhy your biceps seen bigger than your triceps.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Reaction score
It's just a normal feeling.
Bigger,small?
We can understand that we use our biceps more time that our triceps.It's bigger already.
If your triceps are as big or bigger as the biceps, it's a possibility, you are sick.

Triumph Fitness LLC

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Utter garbage

Bigger,small?
We can understand that we use our biceps more time that our triceps.It's bigger already.
If your triceps are as big or bigger as the biceps, it's a possibility, you are sick.

Triumph Fitness LLC

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Bigger,small?

Triumph Fitness LLC

You are aware that you can just use your hand to feel the bis and tris on your other arm, to prove that this is incorrect.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
People have called me a sick man all my life. Now my physiology proves it.

Reaction score
I don't know what do you mean.I think what we different is how to understand what is bigger or smaller

New Threads