Trying to be my best self

bengom

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

There's nothing I enjoy more than working out and making gains! I have recently come off a 3 month Test E cycle, and had 1 crazy night out, yes I did a lot of things I shouldn't and regretted it the next day. That aside, the last 3 days I've found it hard to get my motivation back for eating properly. I have eaten way to trash since, and want to get back on track. I am trying to bulk, but I have gained a lot of fat since my night out and want to keep bulking but keep fat gain to an absolute minimum.

I weight 100kg (91kg pre course) at 6'2" and have read so many different things on whether I will keep some of my gains post PCT, but I hope I can at least stay around 94-95kg. I want to annihilate any bad fats, sugar and foods that just do me bad. i calculated that I need between 3000-3400 calories to put on muscle mass, and I know it's vital to be eating the right amount of everything.

My typical breakfast is 170g 0% fat yoghurt, 100ml full fat milk, 15-20g chia seeds, 25g whey protein powder, 33g serious mass protein powder & 30g rolled oats; which is a great breakfast, especially as a pre workout meal! (542cal / 51.4g protein / 54.6g carbs [13.2g of sugar] / 13.5g fat)

I have two homemade shakes throughout the day too, one at 8am (after gym), and one at around 8pm (before bed).
Made with 300ml full fat milk, 66g serious mass protein powder, 25g whey protein powder, 60g rolled oats & 30g peanut butter. (947cal / 53g protein / 105.5g carbs [21.6g of sugar] / 32.8g fat)

What can you all suggest for my remaining calories? I have a very active job (building boats) a lot of heavy lifting, walking a lot so I didn't know if you all suggested extra calories? I do not like to eat a lot, need a small but effective meals for tea break at 10:30am, lunch at 1:00pm, and tea at 5:30pm.

I also take a cod liver oil 1000mg in the morning and 1-2 times a week 2 ZMA capsules before sleep.

Thanks in advanced!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can not serve 2 masters at once. Either bulk or cut.

It sounds like you care more about fat loss than gaining LBM.

Honestly, I would bulk up and then cut-I would only have to cut once by doing that approach.

Let the others chime in and listen to them. I prefer to not say anything more.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've heard of these new foods called fruits and vegetables.

bengom

Reaction score
Oh really? They been around long not heard of them

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yup. Really pretty colors. Delicious.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I'm confused.... Are you trying to just get your cals and nutrients primarily from shakes? What kind of food are you eating? I feel like you are maybe approaching this backwards... Suppliments are meant to be a "suppliment" to your diet, not a mainstay. You should get the bulk of your cals/macro/micro-nutrients from food, and then IF NEEDED, add a shake. I feel like you could buy a lot of food with the amount of money you are spending on suppliments...

Reactions: CJ

bengom

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the honest response! You are correct in saying I should be eating more but I honestly don't enjoy food anymore, I just need it of course. I probably sound stupid but macros are macros? If I'm getting 30g of protein from whey protein, or 30g from chicken or tuna, what the difference? Big thanks

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Cut or bulk; Greek yogurt is a gift from the lifting Gods.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Macros are macros, yes. But you get a lot more than just "macros" from real food. Lots of other essential and optimal nutrients that you're missing out on.

bengom

Reaction score
Cut or bulk; Greek yogurt is a gift from the lifting Gods.

Greek yoghurt is the 0% stuff I'm on right? It tastes good, use it with anything, just love it!

Macros are macros, yes. But you get a lot more than just "macros" from real food. Lots of other essential and optimal nutrients that you're missing out on.

Ah, ok! Will have to do some research into this then, thanks!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Triple zero. It's in a black container.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Oats, chia seeds, peanut butter, yoghurt, whole milk. Surely these are real foods are they not??

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Oats, chia seeds, peanut butter, yoghurt, whole milk. Surely these are real foods are they not??

Yes, they most definitely are real foods. But you took my statement out of context. OP asked that if the macros were equivalent, what's the difference between a supplemental vs whole food.

Merlin

Reaction score
One crazy night set you back really far? I find that hard to believe. Unless you are saying it got you off of your routine.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score

That was the extent of the real food in his diet. (and OP, no disrespect, props for listing your diet and actually trying to do something proactive with your health). What he listed is good stuff, but I just can't advocate having the vast majority of your protein source be a suppliment. There is no meat at all, no fish, no eggs, nothing. And it's not because he is a vegetarian, because he's not. We can't seriously entertain the idea of getting most of our macro and micro nutrients from suppliments and then think that it will be the same as whole food. It just isn't the same as real food. Sorry if I'm being a cranky hard ass.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
He asked for suggestions for his 3 meals

That was the extent of the real food in his diet. (and OP, no disrespect, props for listing your diet and actually trying to do something proactive with your health). What he listed is good stuff, but I just can't advocate having the vast majority of your protein source be a suppliment. There is no meat at all, no fish, no eggs, nothing. And it's not because he is a vegetarian, because he's not. We can't seriously entertain the idea of getting most of our macro and micro nutrients from suppliments and then think that it will be the same as whole food. It just isn't the same as real food. Sorry if I'm being a cranky hard ass.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
But the title of his thread is "Trying To Be My Best Self". Omitting real food and their nutrients in favor of supplements is not going to make him his 'best self'.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
He asked for suggestions for meals, or did I read it wrong??

But the title of his thread is "Trying To Be My Best Self". Omitting real food and their nutrients in favor of supplements is not going to make him his 'best self'.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yes, but in a later post, he asked this...

I probably sound stupid but macros are macros? If I'm getting 30g of protein from whey protein, or 30g from chicken or tuna, what the difference? Big thanks

So I was pointing out that there's more to real food than just macros.

New Threads