Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibsonator View Post
    So, OP, "if" you were ghey, and i don't know how big of an "if" that is, between these two, who would you choose sticking or getting stuck by?;
    a) Larry Wheels
    or
    b) Dwayne the rock Johnson.
    Asking for a friend.
    disclaimer: no homo.
    Iím from Canada, weíre huge on the whole LGBTQ thing up here. Iíll take C, all of the above

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bigtravdawg For This Useful Post:

Gibsonator (05-15-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    I check the thread, since I tried to help, and see its worse

Thanks
    Thanked 2,389 Times in 905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino99 View Post
    Not to derail, but whaaaatttt?
    Help me out here.
    My TDEE is about 2800
    Im 6/2 and 240 today.
    I am in a deficit at 2100 calories with breakdown as follows:
    carbs 35% - 184g
    fat 25% 58g
    protein 40% 210g

I feel when i eat at maintenance I gain, if I eat more than that I gain a lot.
    If im trying to get lean or lean bulk then according to your statement I should be at 4600 c a day.

Can that be correct? Thats almost 2000 calories over maintenance.....
    TDEE is a poor metric to use as itís so variable and most people arenít good at self-assessment of activity level etc... and that number sounds very low for someone of your size.

I have no idea what your lean mass is but at 240lbs your resting metabolic rate should be in the neighborhood of 2400 cal/day (roughly it falls around 10 cal/lb of lean mass/day)...thatís just RMR...then factor in the thermic effects of both digestion and exercise, and youíre burning much more.

If you say you ďgain on maintenanceĒ then by definition, thatís not maintenance...how are you calculating that?

...obviously a lot of other factors matter as humans are highly variable, the use of anabolics skews things, how hard you train, getting enough rest, etc
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hurt For This Useful Post:

automatondan (05-16-2019),CJ275 (05-15-2019),German89 (05-15-2019),Rhino99 (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
    TDEE is a poor metric to use as it’s so variable and most people aren’t good at self-assessment of activity level etc... and that number sounds very low for someone of your size.

I have no idea what your lean mass is but at 240lbs your resting metabolic rate should be in the neighborhood of 2400 cal/day (roughly it falls around 10 cal/lb of lean mass/day)...that’s just RMR...then factor in the thermic effects of both digestion and exercise, and you’re burning much more.

If you say you “gain on maintenance” then by definition, that’s not maintenance...how are you calculating that?

...obviously a lot of other factors matter as humans are highly variable, the use of anabolics skews things, how hard you train, getting enough rest, etc

It sounds like you’re using the TDEE number you came up with to be maintenance...so you’re GAINING by eating 2800 cal/day at 240lbs?

how long have you been doing this?

How much have you gained at that caloric input? ...and when you say “gain” is that coming in the form of lean mass or?

How long can you stay at that input until gains diminish and at what weight will that be? (Eg 250,260?)

Also, how are you tracking? A lot of times people I work with will think they’re eating X calories, but when we peel back the onion, they’re really eating Y calories.

If I were going to put you on a plan for maintenance, I’d anticipate calories to be in the 3,360 cal/day range.

I’d also increase your protein intake.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hurt For This Useful Post:

automatondan (05-16-2019),Jin (05-15-2019),Rhino99 (05-15-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    TDEE is a poor metric to use as it’s so variable and most people aren’t good at self-assessment of activity level etc... and that number sounds very low for someone of your size.

I have no idea what your lean mass is but at 240lbs your resting metabolic rate should be in the neighborhood of 2400 cal/day (roughly it falls around 10 cal/lb of lean mass/day)...that’s just RMR...then factor in the thermic effects of both digestion and exercise, and you’re burning much more.

If you say you “gain on maintenance” then by definition, that’s not maintenance...how are you calculating that?

Well, he said he "feels" he gains on maintenance, so he's either equating surplus with maintenance, or he's tricked himself into thinking he's gaining.

Either way, like you said, **** TDEE.

I only thing I go by is BMR+activity level. It works for me. However, I always say I burn less calories than I actually do, so I can guarantee accuracy.

Since I do slave labor for 13-14 hours Mon-Sat, I may have to allow myself more calories. I let the scale, waist of clothing, and mirror show me I need more or less calories from where I set the calorie limit at.

Now desk jobs and related? That's way harder to know how many calories you should limit yourself. I'm glad I don't have to worry with that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hulksmash View Post
    Well, he said he "feels" he gains on maintenance, so he's either equating surplus woth maintenance, or he's tricked himself into thinking he's gaining.

Either way, like you said, **** TDEE.

I only thing I go by is BMR+activity level. However, I always say I burn less calories than I actually do, so I can guarantee accuracy.

Since I do slave labor for 13-14 hours Mon-Sat, I may have to allpw myself more calories. I let the scale, waist of clothing, and mirror show me I need more or less calories from where I set the calorie limit at.

Now desk jobs and related? That's way harder to know how many calories you should limit yourself. I'm glad I don't have to worry with that.

Youre probably actually using RMR unless you have a metabolic hood laying around and have calculated your BMR.

Also, folks forget the thermic effect of food, which can actually be in the neighborhood of 10% of daily caloric expenditure, especially if eating a protein rich diet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hurt For This Useful Post:

German89 (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    So when I said 'gain', I meat fat....some of it may e muscle also but when I start gaining fat I back off the calories a bit.
    Now, my goals are different than a lot of guys here....I'm fairly big as it is so I'm just trying to lean out but on the other side of that coin I got down to 225 6 months ago and looked like I had no muscle tone at all.
    I'm kind of caught in a peculiar position....
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Banned
    Thanks
    Youre probably actually using RMR unless you have a metabolic hood laying around and have calculated your BMR.

Also, folks forget the thermic effect of food, which can actually be in the neighborhood of 10% of daily caloric expenditure, especially if eating a protein rich diet.
    Correct-yes, it's RMR I use, not BMR.

Funny you mention TEF. I take into account the thermic effect of food for my wife, but not for myself. I might start doing that.

I don't worry about TEF since my body is like a boiler in a coal-powered boat. I find it pointless to personally worry about TEF.

We're now passing out from heat exhaustion, refused lunches, getting dehydrated, and staying hot as hell. I don't think TEF really matters to me until winter. I hope I'm right.

Banned
    Thanks
    So when I said 'gain', I meat fat....some of it may e muscle also but when I start gaining fat I back off the calories a bit.
    Now, my goals are different than a lot of guys here....I'm fairly big as it is so I'm just trying to lean out but on the other side of that coin I got down to 225 6 months ago and looked like I had no muscle tone at all.
    I'm kind of caught in a peculiar position....
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Simple.

Get to your balanced point of being as lean as possible while being as muscular as you can.

To clarify, at 225lbs you looked like you "had no muscle tone at all". So, you need to avoid going to 225lbs. Your balanced sweet spot may be 240lbs-I don't know, but you do.

That's the most logical and simple thing to do.

Thanks
    Agreed, but I'd like my bf to be 10-12% at that balanced point....

Thanks
    If you’re really gaining fat on 2800 cal/day I’d start playing with macro ratios. I would definitely increase your protein to 240-250g/day at a minimum...a lot of times fat retention can be attributed to low protein intake (not that yours is extremely low by any stretch) - but I’d definitely like to see that number higher...especially if using anabolics.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hurt For This Useful Post:

Rhino99 (05-15-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    If it were me, I would first get the LBM needed to be happy at 10-12%.

You know I hate claims without evidence, but it's commonly said that 15-20lbs adds 1-inch to your arms. Let's use that since we don't have other viable options.

Remember your were 225 at ~12% BF. You had 198lbs of LBM at that time. You had no "muscle tone" at 198lbs LBM. Thus, you should aim for 215lbs of LBM (maybe even 210lbs will suffice).

To reach that, you need to be 245lbs at 12% BF.

Bulk to 265lbs with a 15% BF limit. That gives you 225lbs of LBM at 15%. Then cut to 245lbs at 12% BF and you should be where you want!

NOTE: Do realize this is all in mathematical theory! Nothing goes as clean and linear when working with the human body! I gave you a point to work towards, that is all!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast