Do you get leaner, as you gain muscle mass? Recomp Question... Help plz.

Reaction score
I’ve read in more places then one that cutting (unless pre comp) is a complete waste of time on the road to becoming a bodybuilder, or even someone with a well respected physique (230-280lbs sub 10% bf)

The reason, or so I’m told, is because as you put on more lean mass your body will recomp itself to use those stored calories in body fat to maintain your lean tissue.

Do you guys believe this to be true? I’m currently sitting at 6’0 215lbs, currently on week 10 of a 12 week cut. I’ve lost 15lbs, and about 10% of my bf. Currently at roughly 12% bf. Within the next 2-3 years, im looking to take my physique to the next level. Perhaps 240-260lbs, something similar to Larry Williams. I’m more so focused on the powerlifting side of things as opposed to competing in BB. I’ve never been sub 10% bf before so I’m always tempted to see how lean I can get as opposed to focusing on growth and raw strength and power. Interested to hear on your guys takes and opinions

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I hope you don’t think you can accomplish your goals without steroids.

240-260 at 10% is a pretty elite level.

Reaction score

Hahaha no ofcourse not, currently on 500mg tren ace, 200mg test prop and 50mcg T3 for this 12 week cut I’ve been on. Probably should of mentioned that...

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score

To further simplify my question, I guess I’m wondering if I should focus on attaining the size before the desired BF% and work my way up from there on a “lean bulk”. Obviously bulking up without gaining some fat is impossible, but I’ve never been sub 15% bf before. Just not sure at what point I should call a quit on the cutting and focus on sheer size and strength.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
To further simplify my question, I guess I’m wondering if I should focus on attaining the size before the desired BF% and work my way up from there on a “lean bulk”. Obviously bulking up without gaining some fat is impossible, but I’ve never been sub 15% bf before. Just not sure at what point I should call a quit on the cutting and focus on sheer size and strength.

you can probably do either way.

I get carried away with being freakishly large on bulk. I was 299 in winter and now I’m cutting to under 10%.

I think I could have probably gained the same lean mass with a more disciplined bulk with less overall body weight.

I certainly wouldnt recommend staying under 15% whilst bulking.

I was probably 20% at 299.

You say you are focused on powerlifting but your real goal seems to be your appearance/physique. You need to get your priorities straight.

Another reason I go a little too far when I bulk is that I get caught up in strength (ego) instead of focusing on physique. My priorities have changed to strictly bodybuilding.

Reaction score
you can probably do either way.

I get carried away with being freakishly large on bulk. I was 299 in winter and now I’m cutting to under 10%.

I think I could have probably gained the same lean mass with a more disciplined bulk with less overall body weight.

I certainly wouldnt recommend staying under 15% whilst bulking.

I was probably 20% at 299.

You say you are focused on powerlifting but your real goal seems to be your appearance/physique. You need to get your priorities straight.

Another reason I go a little too far when I bulk is that I get caught up in strength (ego) instead of focusing on physique. My priorities have changed to strictly bodybuilding.

My priority would certainly be PR’s on lifts. Physique second, the only thing I’m looking to achieve physique wise is a solid base of mass, and a mild six pack. I’m not interested in becoming a big beer bellied heavy pig dogging my wife while wiping sweat off my brows struggling to breathe while hoisting 1000+ off the ground. Hence, why I look up to Larry. Not freakishly huge, wickedly strong whilst maintaining a lean physique.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
My priority would certainly be PR’s on lifts. Physique second, the only thing I’m looking to achieve physique wise is a solid base of mass, and a mild six pack. I’m not interested in becoming a big beer bellied heavy pig dogging my wife while wiping sweat off my brows struggling to breathe while hoisting 1000+ off the ground. Hence, why I look up to Larry. Not freakishly huge, wickedly strong whilst maintaining a lean physique.

You can focus on strength/powerlifting and maintain 15% bf and a mild six pack fairly easily while steadily putting on lean mass over the coming years. If your goal is truly strength, do it. I understand the desire to look good naked and not feel like you are gonna die having sex, so just keep up with your cardio as you make sure you are getting the needed cals to recover well in your lifts. Look into intermittent fasting if you haven't already.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Powerbuilder! FYI, most guys hate that word so be careful using it. lol

No two ways about it, you can be strong and look good but one has to take precedent over the other. I can tell this, at 10% BF, the gains come hard regardless of what you're trying to do and at 8%, forget it. If strength is your main goal, let that develop and the size will come. A more refined look will come with your diet.

German89

Elite
Reaction score

No two ways about it, you can be strong and look good but one has to take precedent over the other. I can tell this, at 10% BF, the gains come hard regardless of what you're trying to do and at 8%, forget it. If strength is your main goal, let that develop and the size will come. A more refined look will come with your diet.

Please just say, hybrid lifter lmao

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I've stood next to Larry Wheels at a meet, he is freakishly huge...

Reaction score

Yes, thank you. I recognize the hate around that word. My workout currently is based loosely around both 5-3-1 and DC style for the accessory work with cardio thrown in 3x a week. Thinking about dropping the cardio and upping the cals to 3500-4000 of lean protein and low GI carbs once I reach desired BF%. I think sub 10 would be too hard to maintain while gaining mass (obviously). I think maybe 12-14% would be more reasonable to maintain through diet while making some solid mass gains with a good cycle added.

Reaction score
I've stood next to Larry Wheels at a meet, he is freakishly huge...

He’s only 245.... at 6’1... I’ve never stood next to the guy but I wouldn’t define it as freakish unless your coming from a natty perspective

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
He’s only 245.... at 6’1... I’ve never stood next to the guy but I wouldn’t define it as freakish unless your coming from a natty perspective

he's 6'1 and weighs between 265/285 actually. to put it in perspective, ive been to expos and stood next to a lot of pros/fitness ivons and have always looked huge next to them, not Larry, he's a big dude. And you wanna tell me that guys chest amongst other things isn't freakishly huge? ur trippin bro and kinda all over the place. good luck with your goal whichever it is

Reaction score
he's 6'1 and weighs between 265/285 actually. to put it in perspective, ive been to expos and stood next to a lot of pros/fitness ivons and have always looked huge next to them, not Larry, he's a big dude. And you wanna tell me that guys chest amongst other things isn't freakishly huge? ur trippin bro and kinda all over the place. good luck with your goal whichever it is

You sound pretty salty. My priorities are clearly stated in the 6th post down from OP. I never said the guy wasn’t huge, anyone who can overhead press 405 isn’t gonna be small. My only point was in comparison to guys like Yates, Coleman, some of the bigger IFBB pros, I would consider those guys freakish. But yeah sure, if you wanna get SUPER defensive about the guy for whatever reason then sure. I guess he’s freakish, especially strength wise. Anyways, aspiring to be lean, and strong. Jesus Christ this is getting off topic

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
not salty dude, no problem agreeing to disagree ;)

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes you can be strong and lean. Just actually track your food and eat 1-1.2g of protein per lb of goal body weigh per day, eat 20-22 total calories per lb of goal body weight per day, with the balance of fats and carbs tailored to what works best for you (you'll have to tinker here) - but don't go below 50g of fat or 100g of carbs per day.

Yes muscle tissue is the most metabolically demanding tissue in the body. By increasing your lean mass, you'll elevate your resting metabolic rate, which (as long as you're consuming enough protein each day because many enzymatic and nervous system cascades require amino acids) will pull from stored fat, especially after you've depleted intramuscular glycogen post-training.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Not in comparison to some of the IFBB pros. Going for a physique like Larry would be completely different then to aspire to someone like Regan Grimes

Everybody needs to pick a realistic physique to achieve. Nobody on this board is going to look like Larry Wheels.

I’m not “hating” on you I’ve had the same discussion with people I am mentoring.

New Threads