Thread: The "P" Word

Thanks

The "P" Word

I'm now using 150lb DBs for Flat DB Bench Press (due to God's blessing), but an impediment to my progress has emerged. Allow me to elucidate:

Repping 210lb DBs for DBFBP is a top priority. However, progressively going heavier in DBFBP is not the issue. The problem is forcing my triceps to continuously become stronger. I'm not stupid; I know progressive overload is all that's needed.

Pain has necessitated an end to my Lying FB DB Extension usage (55-60lb DBs). LFBDBE is the best exercise for making my triceps stronger and for advancing my DBFBP numbers. I've had bursitis in both elbows, but only my right elbow is pain-ridden. The pain is inside the circle (zoom in on the elbow):

Last week, I switched to cables. I did Overhead Extensions (bar), One-Arm Pushdowns, OA Pushdowns (Reverse Grip), and OA Overhead Extensions. I used heavy weight (3-5 reps) and a final burn-out set (12 reps) just like I did with DBFBE, and I consider the trial a success. You can see the long head gets the most focus. My method has allowed me to increase my DBFBP by 10lbs every 4-7 weeks.

---------------------------------------------------

Do you think I'm missing any variables that will continue the progress of my triceps' strength? What do you think I should do/need for mitigating/preventing my elbow pain? Do you believe I am missing out on any exercise(s) that will send me to my goal? Do you think I should have a week of rest at some point? Feel free to add any other opinions.

Thanks in advance.

† I prayed to be given the strength to rep 210s, and I would give God all the credit for every PR and reaching the end, if He is willing.
    Last edited by hulksmash; 05-15-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolSteel View Post
    Pro genetics for not dying.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 1,616 Posts
    As far as strength floor presses & dips worked well for me. But then dips are not good for my shoulders or elbows. Injuries are a bitch!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,297 Posts
    Did you read the thread on elbow tendonitis posted recently? The method I described there rid me of a very chronic problem and has worked immediately for several people on here and many of my friends

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadawg For This Useful Post:

The Tater (05-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,272 Times in 7,879 Posts
    The pain itself stems from the bursa filling with fluid whereas it should normally just be kinda flat and acts as a pad for the elbow.

Don't conflate bursitis with tendonitis.

Start taking ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation and swelling. Compression will help rid the bursa of excess fluid as well.

And have your wife step on your tricep like how I suggested you deal with the tight pec. Have her start up towards the origin and using the ball of her foot, make like she is trying to pull on the tricep to lengthen, while smashing the tissue.

No more than 8 out of 10 when smashing like that.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    The pain itself stems from the bursa filling with fluid whereas it should normally just be kinda flat and acts as a pad for the elbow.

Don't conflate bursitis with tendonitis.

Start taking ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation and swelling. Compression will help rid the bursa of excess fluid as well.

And have your wife step on your tricep like how I suggested you deal with the tight pec. Have her start up towards the origin and using the ball of her foot, make like she is trying to pull on the tricep to lengthen, while smashing the tissue.

No more than 8 out of 10 when smashing like that.
    I had bursitis. Huge swelling like a golf ball was stuck in me. I went to the ER and everything.

Luckily, I haven't needed to be drained. Keeping it wrapped (first line treatment) worked. I was warned that my bursitis can return.

However, I'm stuck with pain, and I'm sure its evolved to tendonitis.

I thought I showed you pics years ago when it happened? Guess I didn't, but boy were those "golf ball" fluid gnarly!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadawg View Post
    Did you read the thread on elbow tendonitis posted recently? The method I described there rid me of a very chronic problem and has worked immediately for several people on here and many of my friends
    I will check it out sir. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 788 Posts
    If I do standing over head cable extensions I get zero elbow pain. Actually got the exercise from a rich piana YouTube vid and he did the exercise to stop elbow joint issues
    Your better to be looking at it than looking for it..Me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hulksmash View Post
    I will check it out sir. Thanks.
    Single arm tricep negatives will remove tendonitis guaranteed. Just the eccentric part of the movement. Do them daily with both arms as often as possible. For me, it was as easy as lowering my body weight on a single arm just leaning against a counter top or something.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    If I do standing over head cable extensions I get zero elbow pain. Actually got the exercise from a rich piana YouTube vid and he did the exercise to stop elbow joint issues
    That's what I do as a replacement, plus Standing One-Arm Pushdowns, SOA Pushdowns (reverse grip), and Standing OA Overhead Extensions.

So I agree-they are painless.

They're also felicitous for making my triceps stronger.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadawg View Post
    Single arm tricep negatives will remove tendonitis guaranteed. Just the eccentric part of the movement. Do them daily with both arms as often as possible. For me, it was as easy as lowering my body weight on a single arm just leaning against a counter top or something.
    I will try that as well. I have a healthy fear getting bursitis again, so whatever will prevent that is worth doing.

Luckily, the pain appeared only recently (my final week to use 140s and did reps with them).

I've been ****ed with pain in my elbows ever since I had bursitis. I assume bursitis gave me tendonitis.

Thanks
    Like my wife always says.. suck it up buttercup, pain is just weakness leaving the body...