Diet changes to reduce inflammation....

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I have mixed feelings and see points on both sides of opinion, but I say go for it. You may know this already, but if you are looking to reduce inflammation, the best way (diet-wise) is to do IM and keto. I'm not sure it will "fix" your problem, but I'm sure it could help you feel better... Either way, the health benefits alone of reducing inflammation are huge, so go for it.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone responding. This is all a process and it's about refusing to be satisfied with coping. Im better than Ive been in years probably but I want more. Ive spoken with Jin quite a bit on the subject and we are definitely on the same page. Im just looking for an attack from every angle. Drinking coffee and matcha tea instead of diet bullshit and noticing some differences from that already. Throat feels better and energy crashes in the afternoon have been gone.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Alright so Im about ten days in now. So far I have completely removed diet soda but also taken steps to remove as much inflammatory shit as possible (processed foods, vegetable oil, soy, sugar, etc) and drastically increased antioxidants and omega 3s (9 caps fish oil daily, olive oil, berries, veggies, avocado, etc).

It's very early to determine how this is affecting mental state as depression is the single most susceptible condition to the placebo affect but so far I feel much much better. I cant remember the last situation I felt the familiar panic trigger, but Im also sleeping better, and my brain feels way sharper.

Physically, I now have zero energy crashes during the day and my face is not all puffy like before. Ive kinda always carried that dbol look but its gone as is the redness.

If this continues, Ill likely go full paleo as well as add one day per week of Intermittent Fasting.

Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Glad you're feeling better, hope it gets even better as you go forward.

I know there's different definitions of paleo, and I tried a pretty strict version of it a few years back, basically just meat, fruit, and nuts, good oils. No potatoes, rice, oats, etc..

Anyway, my energy level was ZERO whenever I tried to do anything intense. Felt great otherwise though. Added those carb sources back in, and everything was good again.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Glad you're feeling better, hope it gets even better as you go forward.

I know there's different definitions of paleo, and I tried a pretty strict version of it a few years back, basically just meat, fruit, and nuts, good oils. No potatoes, rice, oats, etc..

Anyway, my energy level was ZERO whenever I tried to do anything intense. Felt great otherwise though. Added those carb sources back in, and everything was good again.

Potatos and white rice are fine. It's not low carb. But lots of people make it into that

Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Potatos and white rice are fine. It's not low carb. But lots of people make it into that

Yeah, I made that mistake. It would've been perfectly fine if there was no intense exercise involved, but you find out REALLY quickly that fats can't keep up with energy demands. You don't have that top gear.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Yeah, I made that mistake. It would've been perfectly fine if there was no intense exercise involved, but you find out REALLY quickly that fats can't keep up with energy demands. You don't have that top gear.

Yeah, Im the same way. Extremely physically active so low carb doesnt work for very long

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Feeling mentally the best I have since before I can honestly remember. Supplementing with a high dose of quality fish oil, magnesium, and NAC daily. Im not paleo but Im 80 percent there and zero aspartame. My diet is now hugely focused on antioxidants of all kinds. Very little processed anything at all.

Reaction score
I have dealt with depression and anxiety all my life, at different times, and different levels of both. I can tell you that if you've ever truly been affected by it then you'll know it's real.

Over the past 8 months I've basically had to quit a job that most would kill for and admit myself into an intensive outpatient program for about 6 months.

I can tell you that if you are genetically predisposed to it there's no diet in the world that can single handedly cure it. It does help, as I am healthier than about 95% of the people my age as far as diet and exercise. True recovery is a multi faceted approach. There is no one thing that can cure it. As far as not wanting to just cope with it and be fully cured, if it's truly in your DNA then managing it and learning to live with and make peace with it is about the best thing you can do.

There is no doubt inflammation plays a role in it but there is so much more involved. In my case, stress levels and not dealing with the problems or dealing with them in the wrong way were the cause of this worst episode I've ever dealt with. I've been thru low points "depressions" at different times in life but never anything like this. It has been a different animal. It hurt so bad all I wanted to do was die and even kill myself. The pain and anxiety was that unbearable/unending for months at a time. Diet ultimately had zero to do with it. I ran through serious trauma and problems for decades not dealing with them thinking they'd go away. It eventually caught up in the worst way.

So if you're truly affected by it genetically, externally or both, learn everything you can to help manage it...including diet

Reaction score
I have dealt with depression and anxiety all my life, at different times, and different levels of both. I can tell you that if you've ever truly been affected by it then you'll know it's real.

Over the past 8 months I've basically had to quit a job that most would kill for and admit myself into an intensive outpatient program for about 6 months.

I can tell you that if you are genetically predisposed to it there's no diet in the world that can single handedly cure it. It does help, as I am healthier than about 95% of the people my age as far as diet and exercise. True recovery is a multi faceted approach. There is no one thing that can cure it. As far as not wanting to just cope with it and be fully cured, if it's truly in your DNA then managing it and learning to live with and make peace with it is about the best thing you can do.

There is no doubt inflammation plays a role in it but there is so much more involved. In my case, stress levels and not dealing with the problems or dealing with them in the wrong way were the cause of this worst episode I've ever dealt with. I've been thru low points "depressions" at different times in life but never anything like this. It has been a different animal. It hurt so bad all I wanted to do was die and even kill myself. The pain and anxiety was that unbearable/unending for months at a time. Diet ultimately had zero to do with it. I ran through serious trauma and problems for decades not dealing with them thinking they'd go away. It eventually caught up in the worst way.

So if you're truly affected by it genetically, externally or both, learn everything you can to help manage it...including diet

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Damn dude. Sorry to hear that.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Thats rough man....hope you work through it and find peace.

ftf

Reaction score
Cognitive behavioral therapy works. It doesn't work overnight, but it will help you change your perception of "activating events". You can be in better control of your emotions.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This thread is 2 years old but the same issues no doubt exist for many ... I believe that it was Snake that commented life is not fair ... and many of the fairytale stories we're taught in our young do not come to pass ...regardless of the fact we think they were earned or deserved ...

I think a missing component from this thread ... the importance of your own perspective ... if you feel (and believe) you are hopeless there is nothing in your life that will change that reality ... on the other hand you believe you are responsible ... in control of your destiny that is your reality ... this may sound simple but is extraordinarily difficult in to manifest ... it takes years and decades of work through personal development... many low achievers (80% of the population) believe others are responsible for their results ... life ... and outcomes ... the other 20% know they are responsible ...

Also this idea about life happiness or other ideas of what we should be feeling from TV and social media is utter nonsense ... men are here to lead themselves ... lead their families ... and many of us were meant to lead companies ... organizations ... governments ... it is my belief when our concentration should be on helping others - this is when life purpose meets fulfillment ...and brings true inner satisfaction ...

This concentration on self feeling good or bad is really the issue ... the reality of how much better we have it than so many in the world should never be forgotten (true gratitude) ... and a focus never on self but helping others will alleviate depression faster than anything ...

New Threads