Most overrated piece of gym equipment

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Mirrors. There is absolutely no reason for you to look at yourself in the mirror while lifting.

I work out at home. One of the biggest things I miss from my old gym days are mirrors. Especially on shoulders.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is likely an unpopular opinion but also the leg extension machine. I rarely ever use it and think many use it too much to satisfy the requirement of “leg training”...I think we would be better off without such a crutch. It’s also a pretty unnatural method of loading the leg.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
For me it’s more about redundancy. PF has a tricep pushdown, dip bars and an assisted dip. It’s the exact same movement - pick one and throw the rest out.

Ab machines were my first thought but I finally found a body masters one that hits my upper abs just right so I’m in the process of learning to use them as a new tool :/

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
how about the hand bike.

I actually find this thing invaluable for rehabbing minor shoulder injuries and getting them warmed up for bench without exerting too much energy.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A few three min rounds on the heavy bag with one min rest periods is better cardio than any other peice of equipment in the gym save for a jump rope.

Agree 100%. But put one in your basement or go to a boxing gym. Heavy bags out in the open at commercial gyms attract the biggest freaks in your city.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
That ab spinning machine thing - not sure the name but it's where you kneel on a pad then twist your torso left and right. Old gym I went to had one and it was either old ladies on it, or some dude who would try to twist the whole stack of weight and impress all the rest of us.

New Threads