Bench press descent slow.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Maybe work on explosiveness by doing Speed bench (as fast as you can up/down with 50% weight) 8setsx3reps

or if you have a spotter do board/plank bench (2x4 board on your chest). Then you can practically just drop the weight on your chest and explode up

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Because the negative is at least equally beneficial as the positive when done slow and controlled. The negative is also where tendons are strengthened so a slow negative decreases risk of injury and increases time under tension, which in turn causes hypertrophy.

I havent read any recent literature on this so maybe my opinion is dated but Id doubt it. Slower negatives also help to build the mind muscle connection which, for me anyway, is necessary for growth.

Exactly, the negative is actually when most of the mechanical damage to the muscle is going to occur. if you are not a power lifter going slow is going to be much more beneficial then going fast. Way too many people piss away progress by not controlling their negatives.

Reactions: CJ

TeddyBear

Former Skinny Kid / Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
Exactly, the negative is actually when most of the mechanical damage to the muscle is going to occur. if you are not a power lifter going slow is going to be much more beneficial then going fast. Way too many people piss away progress by not controlling their negatives.

I’d find more comfort in this if my chest grew in size or strength in the past year, which it really hasn’t. :(
But, if I hit 250 on bench...

Then my low goal of 1000lbs can be 350 squat and 400 dead which is within my working sets.

My high goal of 1100lbs would then require my 385 squat 465 dead, which within spitting distance. (I’ve hit 390 squat before as a PR, 465 dead as a PR).

July’s goal is 1200. I’d like to add 25 to bench. 30 to squat and 45 to dead by then.

New Threads