Protein intake when cutting

Reaction score
So I see so many different ways and advice for how much protein you should be taking while in a deficit. I see anything from .8 to 2g per lbs of Bodyweight. When it comes down to it does it really matter or do people suggest higher protein just because protein is most filling? Is there any actual benefit to go over 1g of protein when cutting if not taking any anabolic drugs?

currently 5’8 180lbs trying to get down to 165-170

thanks guys

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I think it depends on your goals but 99% of the responses you're going to get here will be coming from guys who cut and do not want to lose muscle, strength or both. If you're a 18 y.o. man and trying to make weight for wrestling, strength and muscle mass may be worth the trade off to get into a lighter weight class. That's just an example.

How much protein is a wildly debated topic and guys defend their view point like it's an attack on their religion. Here's my stance on protein intake; take in 1 gram per lean body weight. If you're 30 lbs over weight, you're body is not going to require 30 more grams of protein. Good chance doing that will only get you to 31 lbs over weight.

For dieting, protein is the third rail you just don't touch. Cut fats, carbs or a combination of both to get into a caloric deficit. Your body needs a given amount of protein to survive so if it gets less, you will lose some muscle up to the point it reaches its equilibrium with your intake.

Hope I helped.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Protein intake generally shouldn't change in bulking vs cutting. It's very hard to intake too much protein (studies have gone up to 3g/lb lean body mass with no negative consequences), but too little can have consequences especially when cutting (eg signals to the brain to hold onto energy reserves aka FAT).

As Snake said above, just shoot for 1g/lb lean body mass per day - or just 1g/lb of body weight since you're not obese and 20g protein/day extra is unlikely to have any negative effects on cutting. Protein is 4cal/gram but is also the most metabolically taxing macromolecule to digest (eg thermic effect of food is high with protein resulting in higher energy expenditure just to break it down) so you have little to worry about.

For you, just keep your life simple and shoot for 170-180g protein/day.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
So I see so many different ways and advice for how much protein you should be taking while in a deficit. I see anything from .8 to 2g per lbs of Bodyweight. When it comes down to it does it really matter or do people suggest higher protein just because protein is most filling? Is there any actual benefit to go over 1g of protein when cutting if not taking any anabolic drugs?

currently 5’8 180lbs trying to get down to 165-170

thanks guys

Hey Nick, how old are you and are you currently in any high school or college sports?

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Nick, thanks for your service! you got 2 very good answers from both snake & hurt.

Reactions: CJ

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I hope Gibs responds to all threads just so we get to see his girlfriend's ass more

the picture was meant to showcase her back but i can see why ur eyes never made it there ;)

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
21 and I’m an infantry marine workout weights 5x a week and some cardio or running in the mornings with my squad/section

Thanks for your service, Nick. I'm in the process of cutting myself, I'm by no means a pro at it yet. I can say that myfitnesspal is a good app to get the recommended number of calories in the form of protein, carbs and fats. Just stay consistent at it and take some progress pics every 6-8 weeks so you can assess where you at and so it will motivate you to be where you want to be. This is a lifestyle more than anything and it's not really a quick-fix for the most part. Stay consistent though and you will reap the rewards.

New Threads