for large volumes filtration

Reaction score
Don't use PES filters!

FD said it best, a porcelain bunchner funnel is very difficult to keep sterile.

PVDF are the most suppierior

Nylon can have it's issues

Media bottle and filtration top.

My suggestion is to always use a 150ml top as the larger ones crack too much, you can do 500ml in a 150ml easily.

The only difference in a 150ml and the larger ones is the walls are taller.

The taller walls with more liquids in them make them weaker.

Think of a tree and it's base, then taller the less stable.
I don't see where anyone said anything about a PES filter...

Also to be honest nylon sucks to uness you have 2 days to filter a 1000 ML and probably 50 filters membranes. Weather your using those membranes on a porcelain bunchner funnel or a glass bottle top filter with a fritted disk.

As far as filters go there is nothing better, faster or that lasts longer than a PVDF. Not just any old PVDF it has to be hydrophobic. Hydrophilic filter like shit. Kind of like a nylon which is also hydrophilic..

As far as regular bottle tops filters go. I mean yes if you want to order a case of 12 for the price you could get 100 PVDF membranes for and then like you said take the risk of them cracking. The only wise thing you said about that was filtering it into a media bottle and I'm guessing you meant a hybex media bottle.

Reaction score
The holes in the porcelain bunchner funnel don't get coated well which allows the oils get absorbed into the material.

I have autoclaved them many times just to keep throwing them away.

You will spend more time and money on those things and take huge chances.

Over 10 years of knowledge on these boards, FD has even more then that.
I see you been at this a while. Personally I've only been at it for 9 years but have spent nearly a year or more out of those 9 doing research. Not to mention experience. Nothing is better than hands on especially when you have the best teachers.

I have filtered tens of thousands of bottles was a porcelain bunchner funnel, and like I said have never heard of someone getting an infection from any of the fourms I've been on.

That does not that I still use a porcelain Funnel because as we all know time is money especially when you have a family. If you want my honest opinion forget about all that bullship we just mentioned and spend around $700 on a perlisatic pump, and $60 on a pall acropak capsule filter, And slide the filling bell on the bottom of the filter right over top of at least a 1000ml Hybex media bottle, and you better have 2 or 3 others ready to go because one will not be enough. So not only then are you filtering 2500 to 3500ml in less than an hour but it is the most sanitary way because when you're done with the filter goes straight in the trash.

Again I am not try to be a smart ass or anything like that. So please don't take any of this the wrong waym im just sharing my experience like someone did for me to hopefully how someone else out..
6f4c0e2590cf49a136bc4be5eb98b554.jpg
9cbaa2e9ff1dd09314739cf2712587d9.jpg

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
There was a link posted on PES in this thread post #2 and that is not a porcelain bunchner funnel

Reaction score
There was a link posted on PES in this thread post #2 and that is not a porcelain bunchner funnel
Sorry I apologize for that. I thought you were telling me not to use a PES membrane, and that's why I said who said anything about a PES membrane. I apologize I did not see that post at the top about the PES membrane. However yes I agree he definitely should not use one..

Like I said I'm definitely not a ignorant ass thats here to argue or anything like that. I definitely agree with you...

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can use whatever works for you, but I personally would never use a Bunchner funnel.....Been there done that already....

Reaction score
You can use whatever works for you, but I personally would never use a Bunchner funnel.....Been there done that already....
Good point I agree. Have you seen the new porcelain bunch near follow it actually comes apart at the neck for cleaning purposes?

As I'm sure you know they also have a glass bunchner funnel that does not have the Fritted disk and you can get different size holes in the bottom of the filter funnel.

My only problem with disposable bottle top filters is the price and the time consuming. You can get a perlisatic pumps for about $200 And good cancel filters from eBay for about 30 bucks. In the long run it would save a lot of money.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes disposable cost more money in the long run, but they already come sterilized and that 2 me is priceless. I dont need to worry about bacteria, viruses, spores in the disposables.....In addition, the disposables have come down in cost and if u look long enough u can find some great deals on bulk filter buys. It also pays off to filter 1000ml at a time in order to cut the cost of the filters.

Good point I agree. Have you seen the new porcelain bunch near follow it actually comes apart at the neck for cleaning purposes?

As I'm sure you know they also have a glass bunchner funnel that does not have the Fritted disk and you can get different size holes in the bottom of the filter funnel.

My only problem with disposable bottle top filters is the price and the time consuming. You can get a perlisatic pumps for about $200 And good cancel filters from eBay for about 30 bucks. In the long run it would save a lot of money.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Yes disposable cost more money in the long run, but they already come sterilized and that 2 me is priceless. I dont need to worry about bacteria, viruses, spores in the disposables.....In addition, the disposables have come down in cost and if u look long enough u can find some great deals on bulk filter buys. It also pays off to filter 1000ml at a time in order to cut the cost of the filters.

Make no sense to speed up the filtering time just to spend much time getting the stuff all clean and sterile

I'd rather let the filtration take it's time and drip rather then pour and damage the filter.

Reaction score
Definitely agree with filtering more at 1 time which is why I go with a capsule filter to do at least 3000ml per filter at $30 each that's not a bad deal.

Sterilizing is not an issue because I'm sure you have to sterilize your glass media bottle that you're putting your bottle top filter on anyway. The other thing is having that huge Box of 12 bottle top filters delivered to your house then having to put them in the trash takes up a lot of space.

If you don't mind me asking how much is a case of 12 1000ml PVDF hydrophobic bottle top filters running these days and what brand?

Reaction score
Make no sense to speed up the filtering time just to spend much time getting the stuff all clean and sterile

I'd rather let the filtration take it's time and drip rather then pour and damage the filter.
Brother come on that didn't make any sense. I'm sure we all do this as a hobby and have other things to do like spend time with family and work. I don't see how you can damage the filter by filtering faster unless you're using the wrong material filter. If you don't mind me asking what kind of filter material are we speaking of that my get messed up or that might drip? It's been so long since I used a bottle top filter I can't even remember how high you can take the pressure without breaking the filter. Do you know how high you can take the pressure without damaging the filter or filter holder?

Reaction score
If you shop around you can get 250ml disposable filters tops for about $6.50 if you buy a box of 12. Slightly higher for 500ml or 1000ml filters.

I'm guessing unless your a source not many need a 1000ml filter.

Reaction score
U buy the tops only, the media bottles (bottom) are glass and can be used over and over for life. In some instances 2 much pressure can lead to plastic cracking and the filtered gear going all over the place (reason to use glass). Thus get a glass bottom and u wont have this issue....

Flying Dragon is spot on!!! These filters are amazing. Bottle top filters with a glass media bottom and they are FAST. This is not the best for SUPER high volumes but they are perfect for medium small batches and definately for as much as any HOME brewer would need to do.

Cell_VacCap_fam.jpg

You will need a bit of equip. for these bottletops, but it is worth it. They are top notch. Don't put TOO much pressure on them or you can bust the filter inside but they can handle quite a bit of vacuum pressure. 15mm/hg is a good number. And at that vacuum you will be done super quick. Always filter warm.

Reaction score
and exactly what Pall AcroPak capsule filter are you using? I have been trying to figure out a worthwhile approach to this and for what I'm trying to do your method seems spot on!

New Threads