for large volumes filtration

Reaction score
new to this forum and just joined because of the activity in the Hb section. great site and hope to contribute as best I can.

does anyone use a Buchner funnel and Buchner flask? using sterile filter discs it would surely cut down the cost of bottle top filters.

what is the best filtration system. the syringe filters are good for a test sample but not for larger volumes and I don't like the idea of ordering loads of bottle top filters.

Reaction score
Filter top with a glass bottom.....

There are also filter tops with one time use, sterile, disposable 1L bottoms.... I don't think they are glass, but if you are just using them to fill vials, it might be worth considering. They are pretty cheap.

JJ

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
U buy the tops only, the media bottles (bottom) are glass and can be used over and over for life. In some instances 2 much pressure can lead to plastic cracking and the filtered gear going all over the place (reason to use glass). Thus get a glass bottom and u wont have this issue....

There are also filter tops with one time use, sterile, disposable 1L bottoms.... I don't think they are glass, but if you are just using them to fill vials, it might be worth considering. They are pretty cheap.

JJ

Reaction score
ot seems to be a solution.;)
Sorry brother little late on the reply but yes A porcelain bunchner funnel with a filtering flask. As long as you're using the right material filter and pore size. Which would be PVDF hydrophobic is pretty fast. However the fastest obviously is a perlisatic pump and a capsule filter. Nothing like doing 3 liters in 30 minutes..

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As I have mentioned numerous times before a porcelain bunchner funnel is very difficult to keep sterile between uses. I would look at other options....

Sorry brother little late on the reply but yes A porcelain bunchner funnel with a filtering flask. As long as you're using the right material filter and pore size. Which would be PVDF hydrophobic is pretty fast. However the fastest obviously is a perlisatic pump and a capsule filter. Nothing like doing 3 liters in 30 minutes..

Reaction score
As I have mentioned numerous times before a porcelain bunchner funnel is very difficult to keep sterile between uses. I would look at other options....
Brother is not that hard to sterilize a porcelain bunchner funnel.. I mean all you have to do is wash it out with a proper cleaning solution using a bristle brush to get into stem then rinse multiple times with 190゚ water. Then hold it up and spray it 90% Isopropyl alcohol, Put it in a autoclave and if you don't have one line a baking Pan with tinfoil which you should also spray with the 90% Isopropyl alcohol, And 350゚ for 30 minutes it is completely sterilized.

Of course there's other ways. For instance a glass bottle top filter with a fritted disk, But if you ask me it is even harder to clean the inside of the fritted disk. Nevermind sterilize that fritted disk and a cracks easily under heat.

Besides the porcelain bunchner funnel Which can filter about 5 to 800ml in less than 30 minutes. You can always do it the best or smartest way with a perlisatic pump, And a cartridge filter that you dispose of when you're done. Then we're talking about filtering between 2500- 3500ml ( Dependent all the viscosity of your Carrier oil) in less than half an hour...

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm definitely not one to argue or try to act like I'm the man. So if you do know a better way or have any insight I'm all ears...

Reaction score
Have you ever had or heard of anyone getting an infection because someone used a porcelain bunchner funnel?

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of examples on google backing up my claim. I would chalk it up as a design flaw.....

Have you ever had or heard of anyone getting an infection because someone used a porcelain bunchner funnel?

Reaction score
There are plenty of examples on google backing up my claim. I would chalk it up as a design flaw.....
You're probably right in the pharmaceutical world but ask anyone who's ever used one there's no flaw at all. Only thing that beats that is a perlisatic pump and a castle filter..

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Don't use PES filters!

FD said it best, a porcelain bunchner funnel is very difficult to keep sterile.

PVDF are the most suppierior

Nylon can have it's issues

Media bottle and filtration top.

My suggestion is to always use a 150ml top as the larger ones crack too much, you can do 500ml in a 150ml easily.

The only difference in a 150ml and the larger ones is the walls are taller.

The taller walls with more liquids in them make them weaker.

Think of a tree and it's base, then taller the less stable.

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
The holes in the porcelain bunchner funnel don't get coated well which allows the oils get absorbed into the material.

I have autoclaved them many times just to keep throwing them away.

You will spend more time and money on those things and take huge chances.

Over 10 years of knowledge on these boards, FD has even more then that.

New Threads