Needed some help and guidance to bulk up

Reaction score
Hey thanks for taking the time... 47 year old 5'11" 150# smoker in decent shape

I have a very physical job outside and I'm the runt and weakest link in my team.

Need to get in shape and gain weigyand increase muscle mass.

Worked out about 15yrs ago for a few years. Got up to 185# and was built better than now.

Food makes me sick. Just thinking about eating makes me want to puke. Binge when my body says eat, about 3-4 times a week. Other than that, don't eat just consume alot of sugar crap like coffee and soda.

Want to get in shape now. Today. Before it's too late.

We have planet fitnes and retrofitness gyms down here. Was thinking about joining one and try to quit smoking and start working out daily like before

Not sure what to do about the food issue, and supplements....

Also had some knee surgery for a torn miniscus and surgery for a herniated disc about 10 years ago,so need to get back in shape and strengthen my core I guess before I really try and start lifting.

Any suggestions,advice appreciated

Thanks

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
If you can nail down 3 good meals a day then you can probably get away with using shakes to fill in the gap. But you can’t replace all your food with suppliments. Is there no food that you love at all?
Another thing I have heard of but have no experience with is ghrp6 it is a peptide that is supposed to increase your appetite.

Reaction score
If you can nail down 3 good meals a day then you can probably get away with using shakes to fill in the gap. But you can’t replace all your food with suppliments. Is there no food that you love at all?
Another thing I have heard of but have no experience with is ghrp6 it is a peptide that is supposed to increase your appetite.

Not really, always ate chicken and beef and soups but having had the appetite problem for about 10 years even those make me sick... I know the smoking doesn't help at all but that's part of my caffiene and nicotine diet that keeps me going...

My doctor has not been very helpful with this. I almost bet I have a testosterone deficiency, as I have all the classic symptoms. No insurance so I just pay cash when I'm really sick and go to him...

I'd be willing to try the ghrp6 and see if that helps any. Been working on not smoking as much as I can... Thinking of getting the patch again, as I quit when I was working out before. Thanks for the suggestion. Any brand of ghrp6 you would recommend? We have gnc stores down here, but not sure they have good supplements like that. The sales people are pretty useless there

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I think it’s an illegal peptide but I really not sure. Caffeine and nicotine are both appetite suppressants so I think you be best addressing them issues first. I have worked with guys before that ran for days on caffeine and cigarettes and the odd candy bar

Reaction score
I don’t know how you do it. If i don’t eat every couple hours I get sick. You’ve got to address that issue. Plus food is fuel, energy. You can’t bulk if you don’t eat. Obviously it’s time to quit smoking, that’s just a bad idea all the way around. Everyone I know that quits gains weight almost immediately, I’d start there.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not really, always ate chicken and beef and soups but having had the appetite problem for about 10 years even those make me sick... I know the smoking doesn't help at all but that's part of my caffiene and nicotine diet that keeps me going...

My doctor has not been very helpful with this. I almost bet I have a testosterone deficiency, as I have all the classic symptoms. No insurance so I just pay cash when I'm really sick and go to him...

I'd be willing to try the ghrp6 and see if that helps any. Been working on not smoking as much as I can... Thinking of getting the patch again, as I quit when I was working out before. Thanks for the suggestion. Any brand of ghrp6 you would recommend? We have gnc stores down here, but not sure they have good supplements like that. The sales people are pretty useless there

All the classic symptoms of low test? Mind expanding on that? My initial reaction to the suggestion is how on Earth can you tell when you are running on short term stims like caffeine and nicotine, you smoke, don't exercise, and eat like garbage?

I wouldn't focus on your test levels as a cause of anything and hormones won't help you here.

Spend your time on figuring out how to get some food down.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Quit smoking. That should be the only thing you concentrate on for the next couple of months.

I'm my experience quitting smoking was breaking multiple habits and the chemical addiction. The chemical addiction only takes a couple days to break.

The habit, the hand mouth or oral fixation was far more complex. I ate lollipops and ended up chewing bubblegum like a madman for a couple of years.

Nicotine patches and gum are bullshit. You are still feeding your addiction. You decide you no longer want to smoke and you stop. I also had to stop drinking coffee for about a year when I quit. The one made me want the other.

In the end you decide and you do. Period. Everything else is just a God damn excuse.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
^^^ I like this idea. Pick one thing to change at a time, put all your focus into it, make it the new norm, then on to the next box.

Quitting smoking will have the most bang for your buck. In addition to not dying, your conditioning will naturally improve your performance at work, so there's a carryover.

But at least change ONE thing that will make a difference. Build some momentum.

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of excuses and you not willing to do what it takes. Put the bs down and get real with yourself. You say that the nicotine and caffeine are part of your diet to keep you going like you wont be able to stop but yet your diet is shit and you can't gain weight>? you can't have it both ways.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I see too much of a bit of flaming here. Many of us who understand addiction of some sort or another should understand this man's struggle with tobacco and caffeine. I had my battles with addiction at one point and know hard it is to quit. OP, all i can add is keep trying to change your habits, just keep trying until one day, hopefully you'll have had enough and make that change for the better

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. You have received some tough love here in this thread...

You may or may not have a testosterone deficiency, I actually wouldn't be surprised with the lifestyle choices you are making. But here's the thing, there's no way to know this unless you make some changes first, but I'd be willing to bet that if you made some changes and started eating and working out, that the symptoms of low test you are experiencing would lessen or even go away. Deciding to get treated for low T and not address the underlying issues that might be causing your problems is not only unwise, it would be foolish.

You mentioned you like soups. Why not cook some soups you enjoy in bulk and measure them out to take to work with you...? I personally could eat chicken soup everyday of my life and be happy, so I get that. The bottom line is, you gotta find something you are willing to eat, and eat it. It's a discipline thing... It has to be intentional and you have to make a decision and stick to it. Eat until you feel sick, then force a little bit more. Put yourself on a schedule. Force yourself to eat. It will suck, but it will get easier and your stomach will adapt and stretch back to normal. But you have to force it.

If you want to change your life, you can't keep doing the same stuff you have been doing for the last decade; you need to make some changes. I'm not even concerned so much with your smoking and caffeine intake... Fix your diet.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Hey thanks for taking the time... 47 year old 5'11" 150# smoker in decent shape

I have a very physical job outside and I'm the runt and weakest link in my team.

Need to get in shape and gain weigyand increase muscle mass.

Worked out about 15yrs ago for a few years. Got up to 185# and was built better than now.

Food makes me sick. Just thinking about eating makes me want to puke. Binge when my body says eat, about 3-4 times a week. Other than that, don't eat just consume alot of sugar crap like coffee and soda.

Want to get in shape now. Today. Before it's too late.

We have planet fitnes and retrofitness gyms down here. Was thinking about joining one and try to quit smoking and start working out daily like before

Not sure what to do about the food issue, and supplements....

Also had some knee surgery for a torn miniscus and surgery for a herniated disc about 10 years ago,so need to get back in shape and strengthen my core I guess before I really try and start lifting.

Any suggestions,advice appreciated

Thanks

I used to dip tobacco obsessively but I naturally was able to cut back by eating more nutrient-filled foods and consistently training my ass off. A proper diet makes a huge difference and also a good water intake. Start with the small and easy things first in order to build up to the more challenging stuff.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I used to dip tobacco obsessively but I naturally was able to cut back by eating more nutrient-filled foods and consistently training my ass off. A proper diet makes a huge difference and also a good water intake. Start with the small and easy things first in order to build up to the more challenging stuff.

Use the myfitness pal app to calculate the calorie intake you need consisting of proteins, carbs and fats you need.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
1. Quit smoking
2. Get bloodwork/see doc.
3. Eat
4. Train
5. Live
Carry on.

Grego

Reaction score
Typically people gain 10 20 lbs when they quit smoking. Eating and working out have to be a priority regardless of whether you want to or not. Welcome to the forum

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
How long has the decreased appetite been going on? If it’s recent may want to check with a doctor and see if there’s a medical issue causing it because that does not sound good especially if you work a physically demanding job. You need to fuel your body and hydrate which I’m sure you know
This is a good place to come for advice lots of good guys and gals on here with a wealth of knowedge

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG!

Rage Strength

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can fix all this through consistent diet and exercise. Start small, eating balanced of lower glycemic carbs, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Weights at least 3-4 times per week, and cardio. And the smoking will be easier to quit once you have those first two things dialed in. Good luck brother

Reaction score
A while back I had a similar situation with Low-T symptoms, and I was using legal chemicals to satisfy my decrease in energy and focus. I found that many of the products I was consuming had negative effects to Test production, and I was able to get it managed and remove the chemical needs. I know you don't have insurance, but the most valuable investment you can make in your life is your health. I would put some money aside, get some bloodwork done, and speak to a medical professional about issues, and activities. It will pay you back many times over compared to the money you will spend on it.

New Threads