Being A "Real" Christian

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm debating when to take my periodic hiatus from UG (ergo I've barely posted), and it appeared this week was when I leave. However, Trump inspired me to create this thread. Plus, I miss the controversy and pandemonium my threads create.

I am a Christian. You all have seen my daily failure in being the Christian I should be. What angers me the most with failing is:

Jesus gave us only two rules to follow: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment...‘Love your neighbor as yourself'. There is no commandment greater than these.”

To fail obedience to only two rules is ridiculous to me. Yes, I am a perfectionist and hold myself to irrationally high standards (perfectionism and ridiculously high standards forces me to use 100% of my potential). Of course, I do realize the greatest commandment and the second law are actually monumental tasks due to our human nature.

The factor that angers me is, well, my anger. I am conditioned to use anger and hate for strength, motivation, and perseverance. Do you believe I can even call myself a Christian? I began trying my hardest to learn how to live without using hate and anger.

A month ago I forgave my parents for betrayal. Tuesday going for a PR, I stopped myself from using my memories to generate hate, thus gaining strength. I instead used faith in God to bring me a PR. I succeeded and hit a new PR!

Yet, I'm worried I don't deserve to call myself a Christian. 1 John 4:8 states "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." I feel I haven't earned being able to say I'm a Christian until I erase all hate from me. It sucks. I want to be good enough for God, and be good enough for testifying, using my life to show the greatness and love of God.

Do you also fail to follow the 2 commandments? What is your biggest obstacle in obeying the 2 commandments?

Can you please give me advice for removing my hate and anger? What would you replace hate and anger with as a fuel for motivation, perseverance, and strength?

Thanks to all those who reply and participate. Big thanks to those who help me, too.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Its pretty arrogant to think IF there was a God that YOUR understanding of it and what it wants is correct based on a handful of books written by humans cobbled together by a committee and bearing the name of a pedophile king.

In the words of our savior Tom Green,
"Hmmmmmmmmm,
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

Could it be you are using religion to push what you want (be it good or bad) and hiding behind the "it's what God wants" claim?

Last edited:

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I'm one of the stories of The Prodigal Son. I was called to the faith when I was 17, how it started was I had an intense love the gym and training. G-d drew me to Him this way with intense love for training but that wasn't all satisfying to me and didn't fulfill me completely as I thought it was so I was drawn to something much bigger, training is just a gift I have of who I am. I developed a full relationship with Him when I was 17. Sure, I got in the best shape and physical appearance of my life, all the hot women were attracted to me. I gained wisdom, knowledge, undying love, dedication to the faith. Many people went out of their way to help me and lift me up and so forth. However, pride was my downfall. Then, G-d humbled me, His love for me still remained for me even when I walked away from the faith. I was convinced at the time that I was separated from G-d but scripture says otherwise that nothing can separate us from the love of G-d. If people truly desired G-d, the will seek Him. It's not necessarily our job to convert others because that's His job. In the book of Revelation, Yeshua commanded John to let people be as they are. People will know us by the fruit we bare. I've come to know from G-d that our actions speak much louder than words such as being generous, loving people, holding the doors open for people that hate you and striking up a conversation with those that hate you and lending to others in need, you never know if you're entertaining angels or not. Who are we to sit on the throne of judgement of G-d's?

Hulk, I notice you have a good gift of science and understanding it and you've tested many theories and you have others gifts as well. But the big one I've really noticed is science and you have access to some of the truths of G-d. Combine those two together and imagine what can happen. There's a lot of talk of science in the scriptures that I've seen and backs up a lot of what some scientists have mentioned throughout centuries. Don't stop helping people with your knowledge even if you get shit for it. As the scriptures say it is better to give than to receive. The more you give in life, ultimately the more you will have. We will all be taken care of. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: Jin

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna get heat for this but I'm used to it. Just had to put in my story so far, it may help. Admin can delete it if he sees fit.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I favor the devil's lettuce so I guess you know where I stand....

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Its pretty arrogant to think IF there was a God that YOUR understanding of it and what it wants is correct based on a handful of books written by humans cobbled together by a committee and bearing the name of a pedophile king.

In the words of our savior Tom Green,
"Hmmmmmmmmm,
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

Could it be you are using religion to push what you want (be it good or bad) and hiding behind the "it's what God wants" claim?

You didnt answer the question though.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna get heat for this but I'm used to it. Just had to put in my story so far, it may help. Admin can delete it if he sees fit.

No sir, great post and no reason to delete whatsoever. UGBB needs more perspectives whether people agree or not!

Long

Elite
Reaction score
You didnt answer the question though.

How to remove hate?
I think some people are worth hating. It's a helpful emotion. Some people are not. Those are the ones you forget about.
So pot.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How to remove hate?
I think some people are worth hating. It's a helpful emotion. Some people are not. Those are the ones you forget about.

lol, well you're not wrong!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How to remove hate?
So pot.

Even the Bible states that anger is okay, as long as you control it ("be angry but do not sin").

I also agree that some deserve hate, but...

I'm a walking contradiction if I harbor hate. That sucks. Hate has been my fuel and got me to where I am. Then again, God is the reason I'm where I'm at today.

I abhor being in this situation. I want to be a good Christian but I want to continue using hate amd anger since I've tasted the power it gives.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyone will read all that to give you shit about it grizz. Like hulks drivel I would imagine god himself only knows what he is talking about

It's pretty clear what I was saying lol

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Born and raised in the bible belt, majority of my family are bible thumpers. I was raised in it conservatively. My gradparents especially lived by the word.

I tried living it a few times in my youth. Then again in my early adult years. By then, i had figured out that i dont need rules or commandments for me to be a good person. I dont need to look to a higher being to feel good.

I have my beliefs, or thoughts rather why there are religions. If you believe and it gives you satisfaction, THAT'S AWESOME. It's just not for me

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
Hulk, my brother, I know this doesn't answer your specific questions but I have something to add to everything you just said. Please remember, hate is a perfectly sanctioned emotion. We are commanded to do it. "Hate all that is evil". Would Jesus have told us to do something that is a sin? So stop being hard on yourself solely for that emotion.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm one of the stories of The Prodigal Son. I was called to the faith when I was 17, how it started was I had an intense love the gym and training. G-d drew me to Him this way with intense love for training but that wasn't all satisfying to me and didn't fulfill me completely as I thought it was so I was drawn to something much bigger, training is just a gift I have of who I am. I developed a full relationship with Him when I was 17. Sure, I got in the best shape and physical appearance of my life, all the hot women were attracted to me. I gained wisdom, knowledge, undying love, dedication to the faith. Many people went out of their way to help me and lift me up and so forth. However, pride was my downfall. Then, G-d humbled me, His love for me still remained for me even when I walked away from the faith. I was convinced at the time that I was separated from G-d but scripture says otherwise that nothing can separate us from the love of G-d. If people truly desired G-d, the will seek Him. It's not necessarily our job to convert others because that's His job. In the book of Revelation, Yeshua commanded John to let people be as they are. People will know us by the fruit we bare. I've come to know from G-d that our actions speak much louder than words such as being generous, loving people, holding the doors open for people that hate you and striking up a conversation with those that hate you and lending to others in need, you never know if you're entertaining angels or not. Who are we to sit on the throne of judgement of G-d's?

Hulk, I notice you have a good gift of science and understanding it and you've tested many theories and you have others gifts as well. But the big one I've really noticed is science and you have access to some of the truths of G-d. Combine those two together and imagine what can happen. There's a lot of talk of science in the scriptures that I've seen and backs up a lot of what some scientists have mentioned throughout centuries. Don't stop helping people with your knowledge even if you get shit for it. As the scriptures say it is better to give than to receive. The more you give in life, ultimately the more you will have. We will all be taken care of. Hope this helps you.

Thanks, and I'm glad you're doing good.

Science actually allows God's existence, specifically quantum mechanics and the 6 additional dimensions we can't percieve.

We live in 3-D, or the third dimension. 4-D, or 4th dimension is space and time. Dimensions 5-10 we can not percieve, much like how a 2-D entity would never be able to percieve the 3rd dimension.

God, heaven, hell, and etc could be in those dimensions and we have no way to know.

Gotta love physics.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Born and raised in the bible belt, majority of my family are bible thumpers. I was raised in it conservatively. My gradparents especially lived by the word.

I tried living it a few times in my youth. Then again in my early adult years. By then, i had figured out that i dont need rules or commandments for me to be a good person. I dont need to look to a higher being to feel good.

I have my beliefs, or thoughts rather why there are religions. If you believe and it gives you satisfaction, THAT'S AWESOME. It's just not for me

I ignore all man-made rules found in Christianity and stick to the rules laid by God/Jesus. That's how it should be.

I don't blame you for your feelings on rules in Christianity. Too many made by man.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I admire you all for being realistic and open minded enough to respond to Hulksmash's post. It is very honorable to hold faith so tight that you allow no weakness in your beliefs. I'm currently a nonpracticing Catholic after spending my entire life in the Church, that is not to say I'm without faith. So many religions are filled with hypocrisy, Catholicism may be the worst but probably not the most naive. I say hold on to what gets you through the day but don't lose sight of the real world and how much its changed or hasn't. I just realized I've said nothing of any substance....hmmm

New Threads