Joshua Ruiz!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Didn’t watch the whole fight but saw the clips. Didn’t even look like Ruiz really connected well on those knock down shots. Makes Joshua look like a chump!

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He corkscrewed Joshua a couple of other times before that. For a fat guy Ruiz has good movement and defense. I was surprised

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Not to take anything from Ruiz it surprised me.
Ruiz is a solid boxer. Not beat Joshua solid though. He hits hard and has speed, something just seemed off with Joshua to me. He took far more punishment from Wladimir and did what Fury could not and not only dropped Wladimir, he put an end to him in 11 and did not leave it up to the judges.

Frankly I am absolutely shocked. Awesome for Ruiz. As much as I am not a fan of Fury I will say his response was far more dignified than Wilders.

I'm not interested in seeing Ruiz play with the two giant mouthpieces. I would like to see him defend against White, (he really is and earned the number 1 contender spot as I see it), rematch Joshua and fight Usyk when he steps up.

Let the other two dingbats crush cans and twitch and slap at each other for twelve rounds.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I TOLD YA!LL! Was it 2 days before the fight? I said Joshua hasn't proved he's the amazing fighter claimed.

Ruiz proved my point.

I liked how Ruiz would get hit in the face and snap, sending a flurry of punches. Like a pit bull.

Take that, ego-filled Joshua!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ruiz is a solid boxer. Not beat Joshua solid though. He hits hard and has speed, something just seemed off with Joshua to me. He took far more punishment from Wladimir and did what Fury could not and not only dropped Wladimir, he put an end to him in 11 and did not leave it up to the judges.

Frankly I am absolutely shocked. Awesome for Ruiz. As much as I am not a fan of Fury I will say his response was far more dignified than Wilders.

I'm not interested in seeing Ruiz play with the two giant mouthpieces. I would like to see him defend against White, (he really is and earned the number 1 contender spot as I see it), rematch Joshua and fight Usyk when he steps up.

Let the other two dingbats crush cans and twitch and slap at each other for twelve rounds.

Something seemed "off" to you?

Not me-Joshua is overhyped, is filled with ego by his team, and is treated like a demigod.

Ruiz and guys like him are the cure against fighters like Joshua, who's so filled with pride they don't even box amazingly.

Joshua spit out his mouthpiece! 100% arrogance. RIGHT AFTER he went to his corner and tried to get away with resting. What an egotist.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He corkscrewed Joshua a couple of other times before that. For a fat guy Ruiz has good movement and defense. I was surprised

Amazing speed for a fatty.

Ruiz' speed and his punch flurry response to getting hit in the face shocked me the most.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Something seemed "off" to you?

Not me-Joshua is overhyped, is filled with ego by his team, and is treated like a demigod.

Ruiz and guys like him are the cure against fighters like Joshua, who's so filled with pride they don't even box amazingly.

Joshua spit out his mouthpiece! 100% arrogance. RIGHT AFTER he went to his corner and tried to get away with resting. What an egotist.

Yes, that's what I said. The man who went toe to toe with Wladimir and put him down in 11, something Fury could not do, went down way to easy.

It's looking like Joshua got knocked out pretty badly during training leading up to the fight. We all know what a concussion can do to you.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
NEVER EVER underestimate a fatty! We will take your ass out! #TEAMFATTY:32 (10):

:32 (18):
As someone who is attempting to vacate his seat on teamtubby I agree.

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I said. The man who went toe to toe with Wladimir and put him down in 11, something Fury could not do, went down way to easy.

It's looking like Joshua got knocked out pretty badly during training leading up to the fight. We all know what a concussion can do to you.
Sounds like excuses....

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Sounds like excuses....

Joey Dawejko knocked Joshua out sparring before the fight. Joshua still had bruises on his face. You can call it whatever you like. It's not very common to get knocked out training right before defending a title.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Joey Dawejko knocked Joshua out sparring before the fight. Joshua still had bruises on his face. You can call it whatever you like. It's not very common to get knocked out training right before defending a title.
What’s it say when the fighter is getting badly knocked out by his sparring partner?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
What’s it say when the fighter is getting badly knocked out by his sparring partner?

My knowledge is admittedly limited on the subject much to my own experience. So take this for what its worth,

Two dudes coming up sparring at the gym or the local level is not the same as sparring when training for a specific fighter or a professional fight.

The point of sparring before a fight is to learn and figure situations out. Specifically for your opponent.
Your sparring partners aren't there to hurt you or prove they are better than you. They are there to provide a service and also to improve their game. So someone like Fury bragging about how he's dropping guys with body shots in camp sparring isn't impressive if you ask me.

If I remember correctly AJ brought in some amateurs to spar because Ruiz is known to always hit full power. That is a trait more common with amateur boxers. Professionals tend to reserve power and pick their shots.

So he was preparing for power and brought guys in that had it and got cleaned the hell out sparring.
Power is power. If you can hit hard you can knock anyone out. If you can land a shot is a different story.
I'm not cheerleading the guy, but I have watched his fights and I'm just saying he looked off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’ll definitely agree with you on that, he was well prepared to hit the canvas!

Im mostly ****in with you bro, I know you know far more about boxing than I. I just always think it doesn’t matter what the reason, if you get knocked out, the other fighter was the better fighter that night. Nothing else really matters. Another night, potentially a different outcome.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I noticed that too and agree with your reasoning as to why. Especially in your other post about heavy hitting sparing partners.

Its pretty common for a heavyweight (in any combat sport) to look off when going against smaller heavies.

Do you remember how much trouble Evander had with Bobby Czyz? (Tobasco gate) Or In MMA Fedor vs Arona?

Personally, I think this was a factor as well. There is something about facing a different body type than you’re used to training and competing against. I used to cringe when I grappled at SHW and had to go against certain body types.

Though short and fat that wild left hook certainly got there sooner than it would have had f Ruiz was 6’5”

SHRUGS

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lets see how he does against Wilder. Nobody wants a piece of him.
!S!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My knowledge is admittedly limited on the subject much to my own experience. So take this for what its worth,

Two dudes coming up sparring at the gym or the local level is not the same as sparring when training for a specific fighter or a professional fight.

The point of sparring before a fight is to learn and figure situations out. Specifically for your opponent.
Your sparring partners aren't there to hurt you or prove they are better than you. They are there to provide a service and also to improve their game. So someone like Fury bragging about how he's dropping guys with body shots in camp sparring isn't impressive if you ask me.

If I remember correctly AJ brought in some amateurs to spar because Ruiz is known to always hit full power. That is a trait more common with amateur boxers. Professionals tend to reserve power and pick their shots.

So he was preparing for power and brought guys in that had it and got cleaned the hell out sparring.
Power is power. If you can hit hard you can knock anyone out. If you can land a shot is a different story.
I'm not cheerleading the guy, but I have watched his fights and I'm just saying he looked off.

AJ never got knocked out or had a concussion during training before Ruiz.

Eddie Hearn said AJ had an eye stye instead.

Regardless, AJ thought he would easily win. Look how uncaring he is right before the fight!

He's so full of ego he tried to get away with standing in his corner to rest; tRuiz showed everyone how he's just a good pro boxer, NOT a legendary boxer.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Your answer is close for "why" boxers spar before the big fight:

You don't spar right before the fight to "figure situations out". You're ****ed if you need that right before a fight. You deal with situations at camp.

The sparring before the big fight is to iron out the kinks and to ensure you remember all that you absorbed in camp. Think of studying before a test-you learned everything already, but you study before the test to remember some forgotten details and to ensure you'll get a 100% grade.

Sparring is studying before the test and a way to retain all you learned/need to do against your opponent.

PS I love having another boxer here. Maybe I'll fight you one day. You'll have the easiest match ever-you see my size and know that has cost me speed. Plus, I'm a rust bucket!

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Even Joe Rogan is now saying insiders are corroborating that Joshua was hurt badly the WEEK of the fight. It's looking like he really shouldn't have been in the ring at all.

That said to his credit Joshua is making no excuses.

New Threads