High bar and low bar squats

Reaction score
For a while there I had a strength focused powerlifting style program and mindset and I focused solely on low bar squat. I always added high bar and front squats but lately I have just been wanting to perfect my high bar squat form and strength. So I guess what I’m wondering is if I don’t really care much about powerlifting should I just leave low bar squats out of my programming? What are your thoughts?

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
There’s no problem with that. As long as you’re still squatting you don’t necessarily Need to be doing both low and high. If you have two leg days you can throw the low bar in but like I said nothing wrong with focusing on one for a period of time...

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Have at it. You can always go back and you'd be shocked how quick it all returns.

Reaction score
I never could get used to a low bar squat. Killed my wrists & elbows at heavier weight.
Definitely agree. Once I get past 315 I have to throw wraps on or my wrists feel like they are gonna snap.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I never could get used to a low bar squat. Killed my wrists & elbows at heavier weight.

You and me both, plus, my shoulders, OUCH! High bar for life for me. :(

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I agree with Tool. Squat where the bar is most comfortable and be done with it. Add front squats and split squats, but changing bar height seems pointless to me.

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
Worrying about a 2” change in bar position is asinine.

I feel like there are pretty big differences in the mechanics. It’s like comparing a front squat to a back squat. Ya it’s a squat but different muscles are firing more for certain positions and the amount of mobility varies quite a bit.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I feel like there are pretty big differences in the mechanics. It’s like comparing a front squat to a back squat. Ya it’s a squat but different muscles are firing more for certain positions and the amount of mobility varies quite a bit.
That’s not even close to an accurate comparison. Front squats are 3x the bar position change.
Ive done 725 high bar and 715 low. You are splitting hairs that aren’t even worth looking at.

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
As far as I can tell low bar squats have more glute involvement because of the increased hip flexion, while high bar squats should isolate the quadriceps a little more. I guess if you feel your glutes are lagging behind or you want to add more glute work to your program you could focus on low bar, and if it's the other way around you could focus on high bar or front squats. However, it may be a better idea to incorporate something like hip thrusts instead of changing your squat if you need more glute work.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That’s not even close to an accurate comparison. Front squats are 3x the bar position change.
Ive done 725 high bar and 715 low. You are splitting hairs that aren’t even worth looking at.

Im with Tool,

front squats and reg squats are opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to hi or low bar placement.

The stress on the body and the majority of the mass you are moving is way different.

Reaction score

alright I got ya. It just feels different for me. Btw that’s pretty damn impressive.

New Threads