Can't get arms bigger

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I remember one day I was at the gym and in kinda of a hurry and had to do some bicep work 1st so I texted Pillar of Biceps and asked " hey, if I do a quick set of 21's can that count as doing 3 sets of heavy 7's?" He replied...." well, yeah!" boom! out the door I went.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add-

The chosen exercises, amount of sets, and the amount of reps are what works for me.

I believe training and hitting goals should be treated like money-hit your goals as fast as possible and train with the most amount of efficiency as possible, ALWAYS.

That's why I do things, like an Arm Day, my way.

StephMalachy1990

Reaction score
Great information Hulk! Im going to apple this and see how i get on. Thanks mate

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I fail to see how this is advice very different from what 99% of the internet says. It’s actually pretty basic.

Okay, okay. Then disclaimer: The following is what I believe:

Forget everything, 99% said online is superfluous bullshit (my belief). Your 10 Commandments:

1. Have a Tricep+Bicep+Forearm day.

2. Dedicate the most time to triceps.

3. Only use 4 tricep exercises, 2 bicep exercises, and 2 forearm exercises.

4. Have 5-6 heavy sets (weight used for 3-5 reps) and 2 light-weight sets (weight used for 12-15 reps) for each muscle. Always make the 2 lighter sets be your last 2 sets.

5. For triceps, have 2 overhead exercises (long head and medial head), 2 pushdown exercises (lateral head).*

I do Standing One-Arm Overhead Cable Extensions, Standing One-Arm Cable Pushdown, and Standing Reverse Grip One-Arm Pushdowns. I removed Standing Two-Arm Overhead Cable Extensions and gave its sets to SOAOCE to gain more tricep strength.

6. For biceps, have 1 curl exercise and 1 brachioradialis exercise (hammer curls).

7. For forearms, have 1 wrist flexor exercise and 1 grip exercise.

I use Standing BB Behind the Back Wrist Curls and Captains of Crush grippers.

8. Only do direct arm work on Arm Day. Do Arm Day 1-2x a week.

9. Eat in a caloric surplus.

10. Always use mind-muscle connection. It's the only way to get an elite body and strength.

*"The long head contributes to elbow extension more at shoulder elevation and the medial head takes over at 90° and above of shoulder elevation."
The different role of each head of the triceps brachii muscle in elbow extension
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1017995X17305898

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I fail to see how this is advice very different from what 99% of the internet says. It’s actually pretty basic.

Disclaimer: This my opinion. Everyone's post is an opinion, but for fatuous reasons, I'm forced to say that.

Everyone should live by the "K.I.S.S". I agree my advice is very basic.

The percentage can be wrong.

What I always see is more complex advice with focus on rest times, angles, rep speed, etc. Training and diet only needs common sense.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He is on par with your level so who are you to argue???

Odd, since I never made that claim. Ever.

Also absurb is people act like I'm not even 50% of his size. Blindness must run rampant.*

*Cue outrage from others and be told I'm "small", I'm delusional; etc.

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Sets and reps and even exercises are individual. People respond differently.

The one thing that I believe is universally true is that if your elbows are moving your biceps and triceps are not doing the work alone.

Biceps blaster, preacher bench, spider curls, concentration curls, pressdown machine.

It's all about the controlling elbows on isolation movements.

In the "wild" your biceps and triceps primary job is to act as a secondary and tertiary muscle group. Go lift or pull or push anything and you will see.

If you didn't have forearms your biceps and triceps would be pretty worthless. Think about it.

Push and pull heavy, control the elbows. I forgot to add a twisting motion at the bottom of dumbell curls helps.
Just a deeper explanation of my opinion.

Last edited:

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sets and reps and even exercises are individual. People respond differently.

The one thing that I believe is universally true is that if your elbows are moving your biceps and triceps are not doing the work alone.

Biceps blaster, preacher bench, spider curls, concentration curls, pressdown machine.

It's all about the controlling elbows on isolation movements.

In the "wild" your biceps and triceps primary job is to act as a secondary and tertiary muscle group. Go lift or pull anything and you will see.

If you didn't have forearms your biceps and triceps would be pretty worthless. Think about it.

Push and pull heavy, control the elbows. I forgot to add a twisting motion at the bottom of dumbell curls helps.
Just a deeper explanation of my opinion.

I agree-you should keep the elbow from moving in arm exercises.

Thus me saying mind-muscle connection is the #1 priority and the cause for getting the best physique you can get.

I built my arms with partials/quarter reps due to knowing mind-muscle connection is the most important part to training.

Disclaimer: above is my opinion, bla bla

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Are you not ex military hulk??

Also absurb is people act like I'm not even 50% of his size. Blindness must run rampant.*

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

OR people can’t truly say, since you only post a side shot of one arm.

It it would be quite easy to prove them wrong...I’ll even walk you through it:

Stand in front of a mirror square-on, shirtless, in just shorts or posing trunks, hold your phone, use the camera to take a picture, then post it. Until then you don’t compare, by default...you just look like you’re hiding something.

So, to summarize - post an actual good picture for comparison. I don’t hide behind angles and limited exposure of body parts, so why do you?

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
OR people can’t truly say, since you only post a side shot of one arm.

It it would be quite easy to prove them wrong...I’ll even walk you through it:

Stand in front of a mirror square-on, shirtless, in just shorts or posing trunks, hold your phone, use the camera to take a picture, then post it. Until then you don’t compare, by default...you just look like you’re hiding something.

So, to summarize - post an actual good picture for comparison. I don’t hide behind angles and limited exposure of body parts, so why do you?

Simple, I'm not good enough.

I have set standards and I haven't met them.

Once I pass my set requirements, I will post pics.

I'm never bothered by people not having my pics, so I never feel pressured to share, especially if I haven't passed the requirements.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Simple, I'm not good enough.

I have set standards and I haven't met them.

Once I pass my set requirements, I will post pics.

I'm never bothered by people not having my pics, so I never feel pressured to share, especially if I haven't passed the requirements.

Alright then, don’t get butthurt when people make assumptions about you since you give them no empirical basis to make an actual conclusion.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Alright then, don’t get butthurt when people make assumptions about you since you give them no empirical basis to make an actual conclusion.

I didn't have time to submit my edit, but I typed:

"BTW, I do agree that others can't make an accurate, provable judgement with the lack of pics. I was wrong there."

I always choose logic and factual data, as you and everyone else knows.

I get annoyed being treated different even when doing the same as others, so my mouth loses its filter and I sacrifice thinking before I speak/type. Good times!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
You considered it might not be you that’s being singled out and treated different to everyone else, but you thats acting different than everyone else hulk. Seen many people try and direct you into the right direction openly and I have heard through inbox but it falls on death ears. You would rather claim your being treat like an outcast instead of maybe looking a bit closer to home for the issues. We can all read well and I doubt every single person on the forum interprets all your posts wrong even though you convince yourself it’s our lack of education/reading comprehension.

I didn't have time to submit my edit, but I typed:
"BTW, I do agree that others can't make an accurate, provable judgement with the lack of pics. I was wrong there."

I always choose logic and factual data, as you and everyone else knows.

I get annoyed being treated different even when doing the same as others, so my mouth loses its filter and I sacrifice thinking before I speak/type. Good times!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
We dont do that kind of thing on here, creatine and amino acids only

Maybe you need some steroids. I can introduce a product that I used beore.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Mine respond best to more frequent training, but less volume per session. Also picking different exercises to hit different parts of the force curve and/or training the muscle in a lengthened/shortened position to target the long/short heads.

Yes this^^^^^

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You considered it might not be you that’s being singled out and treated different to everyone else, but you thats acting different than everyone else hulk. Seen many people try and direct you into the right direction openly and I have heard through inbox but it falls on death ears. You would rather claim your being treat like an outcast instead of maybe looking a bit closer to home for the issues. We can all read well and I doubt every single person on the forum interprets all your posts wrong even though you convince yourself it’s our lack of education/reading comprehension.

The issue being my lone behavior is a logical and highly probable theory, but you're wrong.

Weeks ago, I went through every single post I've made and every single reply to those posts to see if I was treated differently.

I enjoy being right and will prove it, but geez..that was so time consuming! I'll still do it, though, and copy+paste every example.

Some were like the recent reply Seeker made to me-others can say "if I slack off just once, I'll never catch up", and they'll be told "oh man no, you're doing great, keep going" but not me. I'll get told to stop thinking I'm worth anything, when clearly I wasn't saying I'm special. Common sense is not used by others for my posts. Why? I made a great punching bag for others here, always taking the hits, apologizing, and promising to do better.

**** that. I'll enjoy any response I get now. I'll call out the lack of common sense, insecurity. stupidity-whatever a reply to my posts show.i will have my fun.

Instead of staying depressed over the denial of acceptance despite making changes and apologizing, I'm going to stay happy and stop caring if someone is being an idiot to me. They don't deserve my guilt, my effort, or my gregariousness.

I'll only be affable and kind to those who are affable and kind to me on here.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
As long as your happy that’s all that matters

The issue being my lone behavior is a logical and highly probable theory, but you're wrong.

Weeks ago, I went through every single post I've made and every single reply to those posts to see if I was treated differently.

I enjoy being right and will prove it, but geez..that was so time consuming! I'll still do it, though, and copy+paste every example.

Some were like the recent reply Seeker made to me-others can say "if I slack off just once, I'll never catch up", and they'll be told "oh man no, you're doing great, keep going" but not me. I'll get told to stop thinking I'm worth anything, when clearly I wasn't saying I'm special. Common sense is not used by others for my posts. Why? I made a great punching bag for others here, always taking the hits, apologizing, and promising to do better.

**** that. I'll enjoy any response I get now. I'll call out the lack of common sense, insecurity. stupidity-whatever a reply to my posts show.i will have my fun.

Instead of staying depressed over the denial of acceptance despite making changes and apologizing, I'm going to stay happy and stop caring if someone is being an idiot to me. They don't deserve my guilt, my effort, or my gregariousness.

I'll only be affable and kind to those who are affable and kind to me on here.

New Threads