Good 225lbs Rep Max on Bench?

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just started powerlifting and while I don’t have record breaking numbers, I decided to test my 225lb bench press max. I got 12 reps. I’m not completely satisfied, as I have bigger goals but I was wondering if that’s a decent number?? Thanks for the input and here’s a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/yYyH2h-v1xk

critique and advice is much appreciated!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I think it’s a good number, you need to remember not to compare yourself too much to other people. Set yourself some targets and aim to achieve them. Once you hit them targets set some more, keep the reasonable and don’t put too much pressure on yourself and keep at it.

Hey all,
I just started powerlifting and while I don’t have record breaking numbers, I decided to test my 225lb bench press max. I got 12 reps. I’m not completely satisfied, as I have bigger goals but I was wondering if that’s a decent number?? Thanks for the input and here’s a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/yYyH2h-v1xk

critique and advice is much appreciated!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Certainly don’t compare yourself to trump!

Your form could use some work. Specifically in your eccentric phase. Try actually pulling the bar down to your chest as you flex your back & meet the bar with your chest, rather than just letting the weight fall via gravity.

Nice work!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it’s a good number, you need to remember not to compare yourself too much to other people. Set yourself some targets and aim to achieve them. Once you hit them targets set some more, keep the reasonable and don’t put too much pressure on yourself and keep at it.

Thank you you so much for the reply! I really appreciate it. I was hitting a lot more while in the Army and I think I can get that number back fairly quickly. I’ll definitely not compare myself to others like you said, and will set my own targets. I’m hoping to hit 405 at the end of the year. My personal best in the Army was 365, so I say it’s very doable! All the best, brother.

Reaction score
Certainly don’t compare yourself to trump!

Your form could use some work. Specifically in your eccentric phase. Try actually pulling the bar down to your chest as you flex your back & meet the bar with your chest, rather than just letting the weight fall via gravity.

Nice work!

Thank you Jin! Yeah my form was definitely a bit sloppy. I probably would have gotten 10 if I just controlled the weights. I definitely do paused reps during training and not just touch and go’s �� Soon I’ll be back where I used to be!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Whats your PB as of now?

Thank you you so much for the reply! I really appreciate it. I was hitting a lot more while in the Army and I think I can get that number back fairly quickly. I’ll definitely not compare myself to others like you said, and will set my own targets. I’m hoping to hit 405 at the end of the year. My personal best in the Army was 365, so I say it’s very doable! All the best, brother.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Thats a pretty big jump in 6 months, why dont you aim for getting 325 for a tripple for your 1st target. Once you have achieved that then see what you can get for a single

I hit 325 yesterday for a single.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats a pretty big jump in 6 months, why dont you aim for getting 325 for a tripple for your 1st target. Once you have achieved that then see what you can get for a single

Thanks for the input and reply, Trump! I’ll definitely focus on getting that as a triple then!

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
what was your mos in the Army?
225x12 is solid, i agree with trump, work on bringing that 325 up to a triple and go from there.
injure yourself trying to move that 1rm up too quick you won't be benching at all.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
That made my ribs hurt.

Like others have said, 12 reps with that weight is solid.

If you want to get stronger, slowing those reps down by 50% will make a big difference.

Props to posting a video on your accomplishment.

Reaction score
I hit 325 yesterday for a single.
There’s a 335 for a single on your videos, is that not you?

As the others have said, 225 for 12 is really good. You look young, with the numbers you’re putting up already I don’t see any reason why a 400 plus bench isn’t in your future.

Reaction score
There’s a 335 for a single on your videos, is that not you?

As the others have said, 225 for 12 is really good. You look young, with the numbers you’re putting up already I don’t see any reason why a 400 plus bench isn’t in your future.

haha yeah that was me in the 335 video but that was also a few years ago in the Army. I had a video somewhere of me hitting 365 on my older phone which I’ll have to find! I really appreciate the encouragement, I know bench isn’t everything but I’ve always dreamt of hitting four plates for some reason. As of now I’m just trying to get my old strength back, which is coming back fast. So realistically if I do get back to 365 soon (which I think I can easily), 405 shouldn’t be too far off!

Reaction score
haha yeah that was me in the 335 video but that was also a few years ago in the Army. I had a video somewhere of me hitting 365 on my older phone which I’ll have to find! I really appreciate the encouragement, I know bench isn’t everything but I’ve always dreamt of hitting four plates for some reason. As of now I’m just trying to get my old strength back, which is coming back fast. So realistically if I do get back to 365 soon (which I think I can easily), 405 shouldn’t be too far off!
Totally agree. There’s going to be guys that tell you bench means nothing, there’s better ways to build the chest, blah blah. But I get it. For me it was a huge accomplishment to take 4 plates for a ride, and I imagine it’ll feel great when you do too.

Reaction score
Totally agree. There’s going to be guys that tell you bench means nothing, there’s better ways to build the chest, blah blah. But I get it. For me it was a huge accomplishment to take 4 plates for a ride, and I imagine it’ll feel great when you do too.

Hell yeah! I might even do a meet this December in Montgomery, depending where I’m at when the time rolls around.

Reaction score
That made my ribs hurt.

Like others have said, 12 reps with that weight is solid.

If you want to get stronger, slowing those reps down by 50% will make a big difference.

Props to posting a video on your accomplishment.

Haha yeah, my form was far from great, that’s for sure! Guess I kind of let my ego get to me! I absolutely love incorporating paused bench presses into my routine though. I promise the next videos to come will be much improved!

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Not too bad, looking good brother! Probably stronger than a good amount of guys on the board. Are you natty?