whole food plant based diet

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Is it possible to get enough protein for building muscle or preventing catabolism with this type of eating?
If so, how?
What protein sources?
Anyone do it....experiences?

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I have a plant based diet. Cows eat plants.

On a serious note, eating a plant based diet and getting enough protein is why cows eat all day. You would need to do the same in order to eat enough protein, I would suspect.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Moved to correct forum

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is one of the main reasons I do not take vegetarian or vegan clients. You can probably do it, but it's going to vary. y individual and how your body responds. I know some very successful vegetarian athletes, but it took them a lot of trial and error to get dialed in. I suspect it will be easier if you're enhanced

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I think the main catch besides the B vitamins is getting the right amino acid breakdown in your protein.

Cows milk has the right levels of each of the amino acids. (Almost like it’s meant for feeding animals) Where you have to overlap various beans to get even close to the right levels using “plant based I watched Netflix” diet.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Is it possible to get enough protein for building muscle or preventing catabolism with this type of eating?
If so, how?
What protein sources?

I have no idea. It's an interesting question. I imagine a person would be eating a lot of chick peas and beans. Probably more processed bean based foods would be more doable.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I think the main catch besides the B vitamins is getting the right amino acid breakdown in your protein.

Cows milk has the right levels of each of the amino acids. (Almost like it’s meant for feeding animals) Where you have to overlap various beans to get even close to the right levels using “plant based I watched Netflix” diet.

Thats why you take this also

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If so, how?
What protein sources?

Yea, google vegan bodybuilders.

My opinion: plant only diets are harmful to health.

Every supercentenarian (110 years old and up) ate/eat mixed food diets. Of course, their aging genes are the main cause for longevity.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of kind of of a half half thing because I seem to get bloated from all sorts of animal protein

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I would but they warned me that you're always hogging the squat rack and eyeballing dudes in the shower

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have made some dietary changes the last 6 months where I have pretty much cut out red meat. I have incorporated more vegan type meals to my diet. I am slowly increasing it as I learn more. I still eat free range organic chicken, lean Turkey, and wild caught fish such as Halibut, Cod and salmon. I dropped milk protein, and still use egg protein. I do supplement with Whey. As far as protein supplementation, whey is king. What I've started to add more is grains. Buckwheat, beans, millet, lentils. I've also added Spirulina and blue green algae. Stuff is freaking expensive though but it's a great source of protein. quinoa, Rice and pea protein is BEST when mixed together. I doubt I'll ever quit animal protein but some of the changes I've incorporated have made a big difference in how I feel and made me overall healthier. It's still a learning process but what's made it easier for me is I have no food allergies. Most important is making sure you're not deficient in your essential amino acids. I plan on lowering my intake of animal protein even more, not completely but I'm not ready yet either. One thing I stay away from is Soy. stay away from that crap.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score

This sums it up nicely

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
They're talking pro bodybuilding..whole different ballgame

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Thats why you take this also

Good call, it depends how strict you are. Most of those are extracted from whey protein, if you’re a vegan or truly “plant based” then you couldn’t take it.

If you’re just trying to make it most of your diet then you’d be good. There’s one B vitamin you have to cover as well. B4 or something like that.

Other then that your plans gtg, legit etc.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I have made some dietary changes the last 6 months where I have pretty much cut out red meat. I have incorporated more vegan type meals to my diet. I am slowly increasing it as I learn more. I still eat free range organic chicken, lean Turkey, and wild caught fish such as Halibut, Cod and salmon. I dropped milk protein, and still use egg protein. I do supplement with Whey. As far as protein supplementation, whey is king. What I've started to add more is grains. Buckwheat, beans, millet, lentils. I've also added Spirulina and blue green algae. Stuff is freaking expensive though but it's a great source of protein. quinoa, Rice and pea protein is BEST when mixed together. I doubt I'll ever quit animal protein but some of the changes I've incorporated have made a big difference in how I feel and made me overall healthier. It's still a learning process but what's made it easier for me is I have no food allergies. Most important is making sure you're not deficient in your essential amino acids. I plan on lowering my intake of animal protein even more, not completely but I'm not ready yet either. One thing I stay away from is Soy. stay away from that crap.

Isn’t milk protein and whey the same thing?

Rest looks pretty interesting. Chicken is so easy to digest I can’t imagine dropping it. Steak definitely is slower for me to digest but I like it to much to ever drop either.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Isn’t milk protein and whey the same thing?

Rest looks pretty interesting. Chicken is so easy to digest I can’t imagine dropping it. Steak definitely is slower for me to digest but I like it to much to ever drop either.

there are some structural and protein characteristic differences. Caseins being the most predominant protein in milk and whey making up about the remaining 20%. Both types are used in many different applications. Anyway, my point was I stopped drinking milk. It appears Rhino is looking to eat less animal meat. I made that decision myself 6 months ago and Im sharing some of the changes I've made since then. So far, so good. No red meats, no processed meats, and as I'm learning more about other choices I'm looking to limit it even more. Like I said, I'll doubt I'll ever drop animal meat altogether, but I've been happy with how I'm feeling since I started. If indeed Rhino wants to also make some changes, hopefully my experiences has given him some ideas

Last edited:

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
there are some structural and protein characteristic differences. Caseins being the most predominant protein in milk and whey making up about the remaining 20%. Both types are used in many different applications. Anyway, my point was I stopped drinking milk. It appears Rhino is looking to eat less animal meat. I made that decision myself 6 months ago and Im sharing some of the changes I've made since then. So far, so good. No red meats, no processed meats, and as I'm learning more about other choices I'm looking to limit it even more. Like I said, I'll doubt I'll ever drop animal meat altogether, but I've been happy with how I'm feeling since I started. If indeed Rhino wants to also make some changes, hopefully my experiences has given him some ideas

Thanks, I take your replies to heart. Your info on oils and smoke points was a big factor in my diet decisions.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Tried some things for dinner....didn't work out to well lol.

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of kind of of a half half thing because I seem to get bloated from all sorts of animal protein

I know the topic of this thread is 'whole food' but I have to say that far as powders go, I could never handle whey powders of any type and my digestive system thanked me a lot when I finally stopped using them. Pea/brown rice protein powders are pretty close to whey in amino acid profile and bioavailability is decent. There's also been studies that show that whey conc plus soy iso is more effective than whey alone. Powder wise I use a soy/br/pea combination and it's been good to me. You just have to find the ones that don't taste like dirt.. I like Ghost peanut butter cereal flavor veg protein.

Last edited:

New Threads