Thoughts on this workout?

Reaction score
Heya folks

Since day one, I have been doing full body workouts, that mostly consist of exercises like barbell squat, benchpress, deadlift, bent-over-row etc. Even though these exercises have made me gain a ton of muscles...they have also made my gym days quite boring lately. That's why I am thinking about changing it up a bit, so that I can enjoy working out, instead of seeing it as a "pain in the ass". The exercises that I have chosen is only dumbbell exercises.

My goal is to lose fat while building muscles.

I've split the workout into 2 sections. A weightlifting one and a HIIT workout style one that will burn fat and build muscle providing that I am eating sufficient food.

Pt 1.
DB Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 8-12 reps.
DB Pullovers - 3 sets of 8-12 reps.
Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Crush Grip Goblet Squats - 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Curl - 3 sets of 8-12 reps
DB Tricep exercise - 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

Pt 2.
Thrusters - 5x3 60' rest (I'll do them explosively with a weight which I can do 5 reps of 3 sets and progress form over weight).
Farmers Carries.
*SuperSet*
Swings.
(I'll do the carries as long as possible, after the carries drop the weight down and go straight into 15 swings, rest 60 secs and repeat 2 more time, so 3 times total.)

I look forward to hearing from you

Reaction score
Huh? Like my age, height, weight etc.?

Height: 190 cm (6 ft 2 inches)
Weight: 95 kg (209.4 lbs)

I hope I answered your question correctly...

Reaction score
Do up an intro. It helps when people have some idea who you are and what thought you here

Reaction score
I kind of did.
I've said, what kind of workout routine I have been doing since day one, what my goals are and what my current problem is.

Last edited:

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You said what you're doing works. Changing because it's boring??

Results matter, not enjoyment.

If you decide to change it up anyway, well good for ya. I don't agree with it.

Training is solely for accomplishing physique and strength goals.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score

Yes to the bold.

I would add one thing to the second sentiment: to prevent becoming a hateful, nasty, stressed out person and to keep sane.

Too hard to do that without the iron. (For me at least)

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
I like your circuit for pt2. For part 1 I’d throw in some lunges after the goblet squats. Seems like you’re looking to accomplish a full body work out, need more legs!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes to the bold.

I would add one thing to the second sentiment: to prevent becoming a hateful, nasty, stressed out person and to keep sane.

Too hard to do that without the iron. (For me at least)

I do agree.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I dont agree, enjoyment is what keeps me going to the gym. If i didn't enjoy it I wouldnt see results

It it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You said what you're doing works. Changing because it's boring??

If you decide to change it up anyway, well good for ya. I don't agree with it.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Even though these exercises have made me gain a ton of muscles...they have also made my gym days quite boring lately.

Change it up. Experiment. Add more exercises and routines to your arsenal. Try something different. Change it all. Change one thing at a time. You shouldn't be bored, you should be challenging yourself. Unless you are jogging. That shit is boring. Listen to music when you jog.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, it see like you're going easy on legs in part 1 because you have the thrusters in part 2. The thrusters, though they are metabolically hard, won't give you the best results in leg development. There simply isn't enough weight on the bar, or the volume required, to accomplish it.

And it's not realistic to think that you can hold enough weight in a goblet squat to accomplish it. The goblet squats fit better into part 2.

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Thanks for you replies - I really appreciate it

As you guys mentioned; This workout doesn't have much leg work, and that's true. But there is a reason for that.

The reason, simply, is that my thighs/glutes muscles are already enormous. I'm not joking, my legs are nearly twice the size of my upper-body. My legs are 73 cm each (28.7 inches). I would have said that it's genes, but no one in my family has as big leg muscles as I have.

But of course, it would be stupid not to work your legs efficiently. Should I add dumbbell lunges or DB lying hamstring curl, and just go a bit light on the weights?

(Since english isn't my first language, I apologize sincerely if I have made any mistakes. Please let me know if there is something you don't understand, so I can elaborate)

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If you're happy with your legs, just do maintenance volume for them, and ficus on other goals. What you originally had written out for legs is probably fine.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the UG! I like full body workouts to kickstart things or even to change something up. I travel for work from time to time and there are times when I will deviate from my push, pull, leg routine and just do a full body workout. I the variety above and I love using dumbbells. I would also use cables as well as they give you resistance throughout the entire rep range on certain exercises. I will say that you want to stick with a program long enough for it to work or start showing you some results. If you have been doing the same thing for 6 weeks and you don't really see anything as far as results in clothes fitting differently, visual results then you may want to change things up. Progressive overload is the name of the game. Lifting weights is HIIT. Supplement with cardio.

My 2 cents. There are a lot of badass dudes on this forum with proven track records of getting results. Pay attention to those guys, their posts and their opinions. Make friends and stick around.

I invite you to create a training log and update it regularly as these guys will provide you some encouragement, suggestions and it keeps me motivated.

Swole is the goal.

New Threads