Info on how to use insulin?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
One thing I will add is that it is totally OK to eat a surplus of carbs when just starting with insulin. You might gain some fat but so what? it's about the process and carefully learning what works best for you.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
One thing I will add is that it is totally OK to eat a surplus of carbs when just starting with insulin. You might gain some fat but so what? it's about the process and carefully learning what works best for you.

excellent! sure you may gain some fat, but its better than not eating enough carbs and going hypo and then having no idea what to do. that 1st sugar drop is not fun if you dont know what to expect. the body is straight going in panic mode - hence the notorious "low sugar coma stare at the fridge binge feeding". Legit ate entire bag of carrots and drank 1/2 gallon minute maid lite

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread. I have always been curious.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
There’s a handful of different uses for insulin and your protocol is going to vary depending on what you’re using it’s for.

Also, your bodies natural insulin response and sensitivity will change things significantly. If you were formerly overweight/insulin resistant you’ll be affected much differently then if you’re insulin sensitive.

I’d also throw out that I believe your diet also plays a role. If you’re in a keto state or high protein (gluconeogenesis) your body will respond to blood sugar drops differently then if you’re used to carbs. (This paragraph is highly debated but I found it to be true)

As Jim mentioned, the first time you feel foggy and start to few out of it you can get overwhelmed fast. Try knowing there’s glucose tablets in your car but you’re mid-conversation in a business meeting. At what point do you rudely cut the conversation short and run for the tablets? Do you wait until you’re unconscious or at what point is it serious enough?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’d also throw out that I believe your diet also plays a role. If you’re in a keto state or high protein (gluconeogenesis) your body will respond to blood sugar drops differently then if you’re used to carbs. (This paragraph is highly debated but I found it to be true)

?

Could you elaborate a little more on this? How are the drops different?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Could you elaborate a little more on this? How are the drops different?

Completely unscientific but I eat very low carb and play around with other “fuels” so I personally feel my sugar drops behave differently then someone whose used to carbs.

My general diet is extremely high in protein with a little bit of fat. I’d have to imagine a good chunk of my protein is being regularly converted to glucose.

The other thing I do is use yohimbine fasted first thing in the morning. It causes the body to release fatty acids and burn those for fuel. For me it feels like I’m ten minutes into a marathon and I’m switching over to that slow and steady energy feeling. Again it’s a non-carb based approach.

I probably shouldn’t say this openly but I’ve been using insulting post workout with VERY little carbs or none at all. I take a huge amount of protein though.

For 99% of people this would be a quick trip to the ER. My belief is my response is due to some insulin resistance from being overweight before as well as my body being used to non-carb centered diet. (I keep glucose tabs on me and took a while to work towards this approach)

So purpose, dosage, insulin resistance & diet are the four main knobs that I can think of. Anyone’s protocol would be very different for you based on variations of each of those.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
I have used insulin during my last two blast cycles. I will tell you that if you ever decide to go that route, you better have done your research and know what signals you are getting from your body and how to react to those in a timely fashion. I started with overkill on the carbs because I wanted to see how my body reacted. I slowly reduced until I got to the right spot. I have used the fast acting and also the regular. I prefer the fast acting but its not always easy to get. Diet is extremely important of course. You should always have some type of sugar near you while doing this, whether its the glucose tabs or something else. Tabs are probably the best.

Quite a few other knowledgeable people out here. Read up in the thread and if you have questions, there are some of us with experience that can help.

PS - You GOT TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!! First time I ran it, the results weren't what I had hoped for. I wasn't eating enough, pure and simple.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I shouldn’t admit this since it goes against all common uses but it highlights the “purpose” point I was making earlier.

The experiment for me is half the fun and I’m knowingly taking certain calculated risks to push the limits. My personal goal for insulin use was to cheat the notion that you can’t continue to add muscle while leaning out.

I use use it to push protein and (sometimes carbs) to my muscles to alter what my body would do in a normal deficit. This also makes my body react a certain way to replenish the glucose I just took out of circulation and pushed into the muscle.

Because my purpose is different then 99% of insulin use, my diet and carb protocol is significantly different then others.

Contrast it with German talking about long acting Lantau and pushing as much food as possible.

Again, going down a different path obviously has extreme risk and there’s a chance everything will backfire. So far it’s been great and I’ve hit my various goals despite screwing up some other very important things :/

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I shouldn’t admit this since it goes against all common uses but it highlights the “purpose” point I was making earlier.

The experiment for me is half the fun and I’m knowingly taking certain calculated risks to push the limits. My personal goal for insulin use was to cheat the notion that you can’t continue to add muscle while leaning out.

I use use it to push protein and (sometimes carbs) to my muscles to alter what my body would do in a normal deficit. This also makes my body react a certain way to replenish the glucose I just took out of circulation and pushed into the muscle.

Because my purpose is different then 99% of insulin use, my diet and carb protocol is significantly different then others.

Contrast it with German talking about long acting Lantau and pushing as much food as possible.

Again, going down a different path obviously has extreme risk and there’s a chance everything will backfire. So far it’s been great and I’ve hit my various goals despite screwing up some other very important things :/
I may have missed it, but what type of 'slin do you take?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but what type of 'slin do you take?

Novalog so a short window.

Also important reference point. I’m 37 and haven’t been lifting long this time around so I’m pushing myself as hard as I can to achieve my goals doing dumb stuff like this.

I wouldn’t do a lot of these things if it wasn’t for my manic personality type and the general enjoyment of experimenting/pushing the envelope.

Last edited:

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
And do you run it alongside GH?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
And do you run it alongside GH?

I don’t but most do. I believe Dave Palumbo has said he stumbled across insulin to counter the side effects of GH usage. Which is a lot different then our current mindset.

I have extremely high natural IGF1 levels so it didn’t make a lot of sense to spend the money on GH or MK. Personal choice....

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There’s a handful of different uses for insulin and your protocol is going to vary depending on what you’re using it’s for.

Also, your bodies natural insulin response and sensitivity will change things significantly. If you were formerly overweight/insulin resistant you’ll be affected much differently then if you’re insulin sensitive.

As Jim mentioned, the first time you feel foggy and start to few out of it you can get overwhelmed fast. Try knowing there’s glucose tablets in your car but you’re mid-conversation in a business meeting. At what point do you rudely cut the conversation short and run for the tablets? Do you wait until you’re unconscious or at what point is it serious enough?

i agree with that comment on the body responding differently based on your diet standards 100%. Gluconeogenisis is a real thing. The high protein overload will significantly alter the way the body uses it and the liver converts the sugars.

Insulin in is a very great tool when used properly based on YOUR own standards. Obviously there’s a lot of general normalcy but to the best results are going to be based on many other aspects of how you are currently running everything else in the process.

New Threads