I know nothing

Reaction score
51 years old. Obese. Construction worker. I don’t know where to start but I’m putting on my gym shoes and hitting it.
Any advise?

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Definitely cut fat before you start using gear

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Keep it simple buddy just get into the habit of going the gym regular. Find a workout that you enjoy and stick with it. Everything else will come with time. Good luck
51 years old. Obese. Construction worker. I don’t know where to start but I’m putting on my gym shoes and hitting it.
Any advise?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Find someone to help you with diet. You will make far more progress eating correct. I am learning the hard way.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Consistancy is key, if you make a habit of the gym, and stay strong with your diet. everything else comes with time and experience.

Reaction score
Any advise?

My advice would be to focus on understanding diet. Yours needs will be different from the next lad, no one is the same so there will be some trial and error. A good starting point would be to understand your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). That basically means how many calories you need per day to maintain your current weight. Once that is established you can manipulate your calories to meet your goals. If you are overweight we'll need to put you in a caloric deficit. Diet can be overwhelming to start but once you get through the initial learning it all becomes very simple.

Its a mathematical equation at the end of the day and anyone who says I can't lose body fat or grow simply dos not have this aspect of their new commitment dialed in correctly...... or just isn't committed or consistent.

Happy to assist with questions. No question is silly or stupid so feel free to ask away. Posting your current height, weight will help for us to help also.

Stay away from gear and any supplements for now. Whole foods are your friend.

Last edited:

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
Focus on going and breaking a sweat. Once you're sweating stay for 20 minutes. This time next week post an update confirming you made it there everyday or almost everyday and we'll go to step 2 to build a routine for you. Don't think about it, don't second guess going, just go.

by knowing you know nothing you already know something ..

View attachment 7977

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'd recommend making a single change at a time, and make it a habit before making the next change. Too much at once can be overwhelming for some people.

Just get to the gym a few times per week for a few weeks. Make it a habit. Just walking in the door is a win, and you'll do SOMETHING while you're there. Don't worry about everything being "perfect" right now.

Diet wise, pick one change that you know you can make, no matter how insignificant it seems. It's a step in the right direction, and will build momentum.

More details about yourself would be cool.

Good luck, you got this. First step on getting where you want to go.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Your attitude will get you all the friendly, free advice you’d ever need here.

Welcome to The Underground!

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG. Consistency, is a good place to start.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Diet wise, pick one change that you know you can make, no matter how insignificant it seems. It's a step in the right direction, and will build momentum.

This is fantastic advice. Like most things I do, I dove into the extreme calorie counting 6 meals a day Spongy world.

It worked out great but the most valuable part was simply learning the real active calorie amounts of various foods I ate.

Now just starting and learning that part seems the best path. Slowly pull pop/soda or something like ranch and mayonnaise. Once you learn how much they’re adding it’s easy to make the small adjustments you’re referring to and put things down a continuously better path. It’s instantly sustainable etc.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
You start now you can’t stop. Take it one day at a time. Basics, drink plenty water, cut out the crap in your diet. Hit the gym a few times a week, for training I’d maybe start with some circuits 3-5 exercises, 3-5 rounds.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to UG, good place, lots of knowledge
just start reading all the threads aimed for newbies in the training and diet forums

Josh30013

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. A lot of knowledge here

Reactions: Jin

Chillinlow

Reaction score
If it hasn’t been said yet the kitchen diet is where it’s at, then the gym, but also get a physical see what kinda health you are in get your blood work done etc

Reaction score
Strat going to the gym and learn to love it. Everything else will fall in line. K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid.

New Threads