Best cardio regimen ...?

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ... I'm changing over from doing 15 minutes of HIIT after weight training session to 2 days of nothing but cardio ... what duration would you recommend ... 30 or 60 minutes (other) ... and also do you recommend switching up treadmill with elliptical and stair stepper ... or is one superior ...?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ... I'm changing over from doing 15 minutes of HIIT after weight training session to 2 days of nothing but cardio ... what duration would you recommend ... 30 or 60 minutes (other) ... and also do you recommend switching up treadmill with elliptical and stair stepper ... or is one superior ...?

What's your goal with the cardio? Is it just a calorie burn?

I do 30 mins 3-4x a week on the stair stepper , primarily for glute activation, cardiovascular health and the calorie burn.

Too many variables to say what is "best"

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If it's just to burn extra calories, I'd go with whatever doesn't drive you insane doing.

If it's to build your cardiovascular fitness, I'd switch up every few weeks, once whatever you're doing becomes easier. Build up your capacity in one, then switch to another. Bike to rower to stairs to jogging, etc..

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Whichever one you are going to stick with. Switching them up may help you to keep from getting bored. My wife will do 30 min of one then 30 min of the other. Personally I prefer POBs cardio routine.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What's your goal with the cardio? Is it just a calorie burn?

I do 30 mins 3-4x a week on the stair stepper , primarily for glute activation, cardiovascular health and the calorie burn.

Too many variables to say what is "best"

Definitely for cardiovascular health and burn excess calories (so my fat ass does not get any fatter ... lol)

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My cardio which I do 3-4 times a week consists of a number of different ways of doing so and the treadmill and stair master are never part of it. I just don't have the patience for that stuff. Walking standing still? lol I just can't grasp the concept. I use cardio for the health benefits to my heart, health and overall improvement to my physical and mental being as well. Yep, I've grown to actually love my cardio. My cardio depending on my current feeling that day can either be.... 20 to 30 minutes of sled pushes, or 20 minutes of kettle bell swings, or, 20 -30 minutes of tire flips. when I'm feeling a bit beat down I will just walk the track at the high school for an hour. I'm also trying to get better at jump rope. By the time I'm done with any of the above my heart is pounding, I'm dripping in sweat and my body is pumped AF. Try one or two of these and you'll see. And in doing so I'm obviously burning a good amount of calories. all planned, of course.

Last edited:

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
For me there is only 1 way I enjoy cardio and that's a jog in the park... I hate treadmills....

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Show me one bb that doesn’t do cardio. you look like shit if you don’t do it

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
While I not at work I walk everywhere, don’t even own a car and the wife works all day with hers. Doesn’t even feel like I doing cardio, plus the Mrs wants it once in the morning and before bed and occasionally she wakes me at 2 am for it too.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
STFU Trump!!!! lol Just kidding man. What the hell...... do you get any sleep? lol Lucky bastard!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Of course she works all day, after the gym I nap more than DF

STFU Trump!!!! lol Just kidding man. What the hell...... do you get any sleep? lol Lucky bastard!

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Over the years I learned to always do my cardio. Its always different stuff depending on how I feel and what my workout that day was. All I need to remember now is that the cake wasnt worth it:32 (18):

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't take this as advice but the best shape I was even in; both heart and looks required me to road run. It's not for everyone and sure as shit, if you're a member here reading this, you probably can not take the beating. Most of us are not small guys and we have abused our body over time.

If you or anyone that weight trains seriously decides to literally run down that road, know a few things. If you haven't run in a long time, a mile is a long way. Also know that the clock is ticking on the first step of your first run. There is no possible way to sustain long distance running 3-4x/wk and serious weight lifting. Forget about lifting heavy. Anyone that tells you otherwise just read a Google search article. I have been there.

Guess that was more of a "What not to do" then a "What to do". Sorry brother. :32 (18):

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Do the one you enjoy the most, not what others recommend... Success will be yours.

New Threads