I shouldn’t use gear

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
.... because I don’t know how to train.

Simple analogy:
Perfected my nutrition = high octane fuel
Test & NPP = supercharger installed
Insulin = pit crew can refuel in 2 seconds flat.
High IGF1 = racing slicks installed

Why the hell don’t we ever talk about the fact we need to push the gas pedal further then half way? Halfway is comfortable - I don’t enjoy flooring it.

That supercharger does like pretty though.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Are you taking all that??

.... because I don’t know how to train.

Simple analogy:
Perfected my nutrition = high octane fuel
Test & NPP = supercharger installed
Insulin = pit crew can refuel in 2 seconds flat.
High IGF1 = racing slicks installed

Why the hell don’t we ever talk about the fact we need to push the gas pedal further then half way? Halfway is comfortable - I don’t enjoy flooring it.

That supercharger does like pretty though.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
test & npp is great but throw 40 plus mgs of anavar on that flame & youll really get a pop

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Are you taking all that??

NPP & pep insulin at the moment. (Occasionally I remember my TRT when I’m not being a moron)

I’m to lazy at the moment to write the full post on it but I’ve been coming to terms with my training limitations. I went into more detail I'm some PMs with DK and a brief discussion with Seek.

Long story short(er), I’ve always known I’m to lazy when it comes to the last 2-4 painful reps. I work harder then 98% of the people in the gym but I cheat myself when it comes to the last few painful reps of a dropset.

I lied.. here’s a quick brain dump...

Muscle cells can enlarge but they can’t split into new ones. Only the response to muscle damage causes satellite cells to split and one of them differentiates into a muscle cell and adheres to the muscle fiber. Aka increasing the number of cells and not just the size of the existing cells.

Its the physical trauma that causes the adaption. Low reps high weight causes quick trauma, lower weight and higher volume causes equal trauma over the length of the workout. Both work. Cutting those last painful reps out is cheating myself from the real trauma that’s going to cause the largest response.

Muscle failure from a lack of glycogen (I.e dieting) causes failure without trauma. (Insulin can be used to avoid this)

Muscle failure from byproducts not being cleared out fast enough causes failure without muscle trauma. (Muscle endurance training/metabolic stress training causes your body to adapt and clear byproducts faster)

Anabolics prevent some of the muscle necrosis that happens after the trauma and the allow for easier stimulation of the satellite cells and a large replication/repair response.

Calories and protein give the repair process the energy and material it needs so it isn’t limited.

All of that is for nothing if we don’t bother to cause the trauma that triggers the whole process or we wuss out and only cause a little bit of trauma with average training.

The people I respect on here seem to quietly push into that pain as a subconscious thing. The don’t talk about it because it’s just the way the know how to approach it.

I need to learn to embrace that more then my natural mentality allows and I think it’s the most under-discussed part of developing a physique.

/brain dump

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
STRONG post

My first thought is my chest routine. I work out solo and for fear of getting stuck I never attempt the last 2 reps. I've never had issues building it. Whatever that antecdote is worth.
Maybe those last failure reps are over rated and in 9/10 cases would lead to overtraining.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I do so many warm up sets to get the process started and go to complete failure. sometimes I do partial reps to get to failure. On db curls ill assist the weight up with my other hand and then do and focus on negative reps after failure. I go by feel on the particular day and so far so good.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Glad you’re posting this vids. I think it’s a great topic and I admire how much honest self reflection you’ve done on it.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You have the tools needed to get yourself to a level you're looking to achieve. I'm not just talking tangible tools. You have the proper mindset and understanding of what separates those who don't ( even those who think they do, but really don't ) and those who do. Like a lot of other things in life, it requires practice, time, and the strong mindset to push yourself. I here a lot mentioned about mind muscle connection. Arnold used that term to define how when training, he would visualize his muscles contracting and growing while doing a set. Basically, it's a form of pure concentration into your training is how I see it. Every set counts, every rep matters. You will learn to mentally overcome that challenge you're facing. Because you've recognized it!

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I think part of the reason it doesn't get talked about is because at a certain level of training it just sucks and if you're honest about it it looks absolutely insane from an objective outside perspective. I function like a rabid 30 year old on crack in the gym and the rest of the day I feel like shit and move like a 90 year old. I've also also surpassed my goals in every single cycle I've ran.

I hear " I wouldn't mess with that dude, he's huge". Well, that's not what ya need to worry about. What should be of concern is the pain tolerance he possesses to get that big.

The most powerful component to getting big is your brain. Discipline is far more than not skipping the gym or adhering to your nutrition plan. It's digging deep down, grabbing your raisins and stepping over pushing into that zone.

(Yes, raisins.....)

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
WTF!

The important thing is if you're doing 10 reps, the 11th and 12 are the magic

Quit bein a puss and do 'em.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
NPP & pep insulin at the moment. (Occasionally I remember my TRT when I’m not being a moron)

I’m to lazy at the moment to write the full post on it but I’ve been coming to terms with my training limitations. I went into more detail I'm some PMs with DK and a brief discussion with Seek.

Long story short(er), I’ve always known I’m to lazy when it comes to the last 2-4 painful reps. I work harder then 98% of the people in the gym but I cheat myself when it comes to the last few painful reps of a dropset.

I lied.. here’s a quick brain dump...

Muscle cells can enlarge but they can’t split into new ones. Only the response to muscle damage causes satellite cells to split and one of them differentiates into a muscle cell and adheres to the muscle fiber. Aka increasing the number of cells and not just the size of the existing cells.

Its the physical trauma that causes the adaption. Low reps high weight causes quick trauma, lower weight and higher volume causes equal trauma over the length of the workout. Both work. Cutting those last painful reps out is cheating myself from the real trauma that’s going to cause the largest response.

Muscle failure from a lack of glycogen (I.e dieting) causes failure without trauma. (Insulin can be used to avoid this)

Muscle failure from byproducts not being cleared out fast enough causes failure without muscle trauma. (Muscle endurance training/metabolic stress training causes your body to adapt and clear byproducts faster)

Anabolics prevent some of the muscle necrosis that happens after the trauma and the allow for easier stimulation of the satellite cells and a large replication/repair response.

Calories and protein give the repair process the energy and material it needs so it isn’t limited.

All of that is for nothing if we don’t bother to cause the trauma that triggers the whole process or we wuss out and only cause a little bit of trauma with average training.

The people I respect on here seem to quietly push into that pain as a subconscious thing. The don’t talk about it because it’s just the way the know how to approach it.

I need to learn to embrace that more then my natural mentality allows and I think it’s the most under-discussed part of developing a physique.

/brain dump

Suffering is great in many areas of life.

We should always welcome suffering.

And ugh..I don't feel like correcting your science right now.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
STRONG post

My first thought is my chest routine. I work out solo and for fear of getting stuck I never attempt the last 2 reps. I've never had issues building it. Whatever that antecdote is worth.
Maybe those last failure reps are over rated and in 9/10 cases would lead to overtraining.

I just go to dumbells for the heavy work when alone

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
What should be of concern is the pain tolerance he possesses to get that big.

I’m really glad you chimed in Bricks. You came to mind when I was thinking about that little extra that’s really needed for true growth. Many of us say we “go to failure” but I think it’s lines like yours above that really separate out where my head is going with true failure.

I found Seeks response particular interesting as well. I forget how I phrased it but I basically asked him if he deals with the pain of those last few reps or not.

He didn’t bother to answer yes or no, he gave me really great advice on how to dig into higher rep sets and instructed me not to give uo and push through the pain.

Questions require yes or no answers. His response made me realize it wasn’t a question, it’s just his day to day life. (Just like your quote above or DK’s response)

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Whatever that antecdote is worth.

Even lighter trauma still causes growth we just aren’t maximizing it.

I think the real thing that’s clicking in my head is so much of the stuff we talk about is geared (no pun intended) towards maximizing growth but we rarely focus on turning the main knob that regulates it all.

Most likely because it’s hard to put amounts of effort into words and I imagine the intensity we give is very predetermined by our personalities etc. It has to be one of the hardest knobs to crank up higher then what we think or max is.

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
This post has been crossing my mind a lot while training.
Like a nagging in my ear to get that last rep in. Fcking annoying but it’s worked

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
This post has been crossing my mind a lot while training.
Like a nagging in my ear to get that last rep in. Fcking annoying but it’s worked

I’m glad!

I can definitely feel I took a step up forward with my training. I now look like the strange guy overdoing it at the gym. The question is how many more steps there are behind this one!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've been experimenting lately with getting more "quality" reps by extending my last work set by using rest-pause technique.

I'll take the last set to technical failure, rest 20 seconds, go to technical failure, rest 20 seconds, go to technical failure one last time.

Last set will look something like 10-5-4. The 5 and 4 are reps that really feel like they're getting the job done. So far I like it.

New Threads