pituitary gland issues, TRT update, metformin, and diabetes.

Reaction score
Hello everybody. i apologize if maybe this doesn't belong in this sub group. Anybody who has been following my story knows of my hypopituitarism and my low testosterone and how ive had to go on metformin to combat this. Well, today i got some bad news. I have type 2 diabetes due to my pituitary gland issues (according to my doctors). Has anybody ever heard of this? I never thought i would be diabetic at 6'0", 217lbs, and 15% BF. Should i minimize carbs now? The doctor plans to put me on insulin but should i go use my own as well? Can i keep taking my gear? im just so overwhelmed about the whole thing. Any input that you guys have on any part of this i would appreciate. Insulin, blood sugar, carbs, gear on diabetes, etc. Also, i apologize for my recent absence. Ive been incredibly busy. Thank you all

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
First off: that sucks. Sorry you’ve had to deal with all that crap.

IMO you have too many serious (and recent) medical conditions to be consulting a bunch of medical amateurs.

I’d stop taking anything that isn’t medically necessary and get to a baseline working with an endocrinologist.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I agree with jin... start with a good endocrinologist to get moving in the right direction.

Reaction score
First off: that sucks. Sorry you’ve had to deal with all that crap.

IMO you have too many serious (and recent) medical conditions to be consulting a bunch of medical amateurs.

I’d stop taking anything that isn’t medically necessary and get to a baseline working with an endocrinologist.

Thank you for your advice! i have stopped taking anything other than my TRT dosages of testosterone as prescribed by my doctor (200mg every three weeks). Not trying to be political, but with the new system obama created i had lost all of my doctors and im forced to use only certain ones. Because of this i can only see my endocrinologist every six months or so. Its a crummy situation but its what i have. thats why i came on here to asl you guys some questions cuz i cant see my endo until october and he haunt prescribed my insulin yet. Ive just had my type two diabetes diagnosis from a different doctor and he isnt going to prescribe insulin and hes gonna give that up to the endocrinologist. its weird i know. Do you guys have any tips? ive been eating almost zero carbs and my blood sugar is still through the roof! (fasted is 130 and fed is 190-200).

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues Liam. To be honest with you, type 2 diabetes is typically a liver issue (glycogen storage) more than a pancreas issue (insulin production). In my case it was years of insulin resistance built up that I never really knew was occurring. I am currently on 2000mg of metformin and 2.5mg of Glipizide. I only take the glipizide on rest days as it will make my blood sugar run low if I lift or do any cardio with it. In my case I was 11.1 hba1c (275mg/dl) when I first started and now I’m typically around 130 fed and 90 fasted after a year on this regimen. I do eat carbs but I’m careful about it and only eat them around exercise.i find that I process them better that way. My body produces plenty of insulin but my liver doesn’t do a good job of storing glycogen so I end up with a bunch of sugar loaded blood that’s hard on the vascular system. Just a word of caution but folks that run high test cycles MAY develop pre-diabetic conditions and insulin resistance. I don’t know your history but that’s my story. I don’t know how helpful that is but I would ask a few more questions regarding their opinion of insulin resistance vs insulin deficient.

New Threads