good lifts to add to 5x5?

ACP

Reaction score
Im a ways into 5x5 rn and told myself I was going to stick to it until my squats get to 315- 5x5 before trying another program. Im at 285 as of yesterday and adding 5lbs each day I squat mon-wed-fri

Ive been doing dumbbells also but I don't have any set plan of which db lifts I do and when, usually on my bench days I add incline db press and on my overhead press days I add some light front raises and side raises to burn out.

what days and what lifts would be good to add in addition to 5x5? hoping to get those extra lifts on a set program as well and not just kinda random

probably a general question as everyone is different... 2 lifts Im trying to get stronger at are OHP Im only at 120 5x5, and bench I am at 205 5x5 on the program but was able to hit 225 for 10 reps the other day.

any help is appreciated thanks

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
You want to squat more? Then squat less.

Looking down the road, you're getting by now on beginner/intermediate gains but when you hit more weight, you will not be able to do this. 315x5 will happen no matter what. Now 415x5, that maybe a problem and 515x5 I would put good money against unless you learn to recover from workout to work out.

Reactions: ACP

ACP

Reaction score
You want to squat more? Then squat less.

Looking down the road, you're getting by now on beginner/intermediate gains but when you hit more weight, you will not be able to do this. 315x5 will happen no matter what. Now 415x5, that maybe a problem and 515x5 I would put good money against unless you learn to recover from workout to work out.

makes sense, I figured squatting 3x per week wont last forever so was planning to switch up a bit once I hit my goal of 315 5 sets of 5.
my recovery seems pretty fast right now but its probably beginner gains.

idk about squatting 500+ that seems a long ways away right now

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
idk about squatting 500+ that seems a long ways away right now

No one that ever squatted 500 got a pass on squatting 300 first.

This is one thing that's going to help you one that 315 and it's not meant to do anything other then change your mind-set about that weight. When you do get that 3rd plate on, you're going to get intimidated, it happens to everyone. Tell yourself there's plenty of guys who bench this for 5 and it will change your idea about it being heavy.

I have another trick to get around that "Grabbing another plate" mind block but you will not need it. Hit me up at 405 and we'll talk.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
What are you doing for accessories to build your bench?

ACP

Reaction score
What are you doing for accessories to build your bench?
dumbells, lots of stretching with my shoulder and kinda PT exercises. Its recovered now but it was hurting a bit on bench about 3 months ago
started doing some incline bench to try and help overhead press get better and maybe help with some more shoulder strength

shrugs here and there

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Can you write out what you do on your bench day?

ACP

Reaction score
Can you write out what you do on your bench day?

Bench day would be on A in SL 5x5 so full workout that day is

Squats - empty bar 5 reps, empty bar 5 reps, 95lbs 5 reps, 135 5 reps, 185 3 reps, 225 2 reps, 255 1 rep then working sets right now 290 5x5

Bench would be - empty, empty, 95, 135, 175 all 5 reps. then 210 5x5

Barbell Row 135 5 reps, 165 3 reps, then 195 5x5

after that I do usually dumbbells incline.. 15 reps with 15s, 15 reps with 20s, 15 reps with 30s, 15 with 35s then as many 45s I can squeeze out.. all really slow paused reps no breaks in between. Sometimes go up higher to 50s/55s

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
If the weight is still increasing, then i wouldn't change anything. Do what you're doing as long as you're seeing progress, or as long as you're not super bored with it.

Once you decide to change things up, I would add closegrip bench press for 1-3 sets for 3-5 reps after your main movement (bench).

If your form is consistent (good) you could even swap the bench with cloegrip, or incline bench press or any other variation for afew weeks before you retest your flat bench.

I would also suggest adding another tricep movement like db ext or something like that for reps. 3x8-15 is where I'm usually at.

Also, build your back. Some sort of rows, db, cables, whatever you feel like, just about every workout.

Reactions: ACP

New Threads