Am I close to being dialed in?

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
Alright, So I have finally got myself into a rythem for working and my nutriton. I am sure it can get better but I can tweak it a little bit at a time with some proper advice or opinions.

I have been stuck between 230-234 pounds since mid April. ( My heaviest ) and haven't been able to break over that hump. (trying to bulk)

I just recently switched job's. I was Landscaping and Hated it and it was extremely physical wearing me out everyday. I was consuming between 3500-4000 calories (sometimes more) everyday. I now have a job doing finished carpentry 4 days a week instead, so it's not as physical and the breaks are 3 per shift allowing me to eat throughout.

My Routine Now:

5:30 AM - 2 Jumbo Eggs, 1 pack of Quaker instant brown sugar/maple oatmeal., 1 banana, 2 cups of 2% Milk, 1 Scoop of Mass gainer Carb/Protein shake.

10 Am - Cereal bar, 1 sandwich ( Two slices of 12 grain bread, two slices of swiss cheese, 2 oz of sliced chicken meat, 1 TBS mayo.

12 Am - Sandwich again and a cereal bar.

3 Pm - 2 poptarts, cereal bar, 1 banana

5-8pm - 1 cup of milk 1 scoop of Mass gainer

9:30 pm - 6oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup of rice, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup alfredo sauce

All of this on the app comes out to... 4,024 calories , 503 carbs, 132 fat, 204 protein.

I'm hoping the dialing in and spacing out of when I eat the food will help in bulking I don't know. Any other suggestions I could tweak or try Im open to ideas.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Honestly man imo your protien seems to low
I'm a big fan of rice and chicken, rice and turkey, rice and beef.... basically super simple stuff that allows for easy control of fats and carbs... but hell you could add in a couple shakes in the day and bump your protien up to 300 no prob... I'm sure the guys will be of more help than me.. also I find that mass gainer protien shake usually takes 4 scoops to make a serving and it's mostly carbs and little protien... I respond better to protien shake with cream of rice or oatmeal for the carbs... maybe try switching the straight sugar for more wholesome carbs?

Last edited:

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
I'm going to try to freeze my night meal soon, and see how it re-heats. If it's tollerable with reheating I may switch my noon with my 3 o clock meal and eat the chicken rice and eggs twice in a day, that should boost the protein up quite a bit. I just gotta tinker with trying to get it to re-heat.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
I start my day off with a cup of oatmeal and a carton of eggwhites (equal to 10 eggs)
Then I have a cup of rice and 8 ozs of chicken and some type of quality fat (avacado or such) for like 6 meals spaced out every 2 or so hours and throw a shake or 2 in with a half cup of oatmeal in throught the day. And I usually finish my day with a few whole eggs and some fruit and veggies
That's just a ruff showing of a regular day of eating for me

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Let me just point out this is just what I do not saying it's what you should do... BUT it has worked very well for me ..... the basis of the meals (rice, meat, and oatmeal) is very cheap and can be bought in quantity and sustain even the most broke of bodybuilders... they are quality sources of macronutrients and make it easy to control portions. But mainly it's the affordability that keeps me eating this way

Last edited:

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
but what's your current weight? and are you talking about bulking?

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
I think it seems like a lot of your calories come from junk food instead of quality food

Last edited:

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
You list sandwich in there several times. In my experience, sandwich means processed meat which for me means shitt digestion, gas, bloat and ultimately lower absorption of nutrients. Personally, I would eat chicken, beef, pork or fish or any meat over processed crap. Better quality food has always made a difference for me.

Also, poptarts and cereal bars are probably not the best choice if you are legitimately trying to dial in your diet.

Just my opinion.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
You list sandwich in there several times. In my experience, sandwich means processed meat which for me means shitt digestion, gas, bloat and ultimately lower absorption of nutrients. Personally, I would eat chicken, beef, pork or fish or any meat over processed crap. Better quality food has always made a difference for me.

That was kinda what I was getting at

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
yes 2 sandwiches a day with a total of 4 oz oscar mayer chicken breast sandwich meat, the poptarts and cereal bars I add in because there easy to eat a consume at work and i'm trying to hit a high calorie goal.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Upp the protien and trade the snack food for more wholesome calories and you will prolly start seeing some change

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Your real close and if you tweaked nothing, you probably wouldn't see a difference. Disclaimer: I dislike bulking but that's more personal.

I'm not a protein pusher but would like to see MAYBE a little more and that's easy. Swap out that breakfast bar for a protein bar. Some bars have 20 grams of protein and only 180 cals.

Your new job is active but not as much as your old one so I would adjust there. Cut out the mayo and use lean meats in your sammy. Get rid of the Alfredo sauce; 90 % of the calories are from fat. Told ya, I'm not big on putting fat on that you will need to take off later.

Good for you for taking the time to break things out and do the kitchen work. Some guys say they do this but I bet most don't; the difference will be in your end product.

Last edited:

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Here is what I eat right now. I am cutting down from 235. Check out the amount of food. Not sure if this well help at all but......

Meal 1 - 1 1/2 cups egg whites, 1 whole egg, 80g oats, 40g raisins, 1 slice Ezekiel bread, 30g nat pb, 50g blueberries, 50g cherries
Meal 2 - 8 oz chicken,10oz yams, 1 rice cake, 20g nat pb

Post wo meal 3: 8oz chicken, 1.5 cup rice, 1 rice cake

meal 4 - 8 oz chicken, 10 oz red potatoes 1 tbsp of mac nut oil
Meal 5 - 7 oz turkey, cup greens, 1 cup jasmine rice, 20g pb
Meal 6 - 7 oz 90% lean beef, cup greens, 30g nuts, 6 oz red potatoes
Meal 7 - 16 oz egg whites 5g fish oil

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Here is what I eat right now. I am cutting down from 235. Check out the amount of food. Not sure if this well help at all but......

Meal 1 - 1 1/2 cups egg whites, 1 whole egg, 80g oats, 40g raisins, 1 slice Ezekiel bread, 30g nat pb, 50g blueberries, 50g cherries
Meal 2 - 8 oz chicken,10oz yams, 1 rice cake, 20g nat pb

Post wo meal 3: 8oz chicken, 1.5 cup rice, 1 rice cake

meal 4 - 8 oz chicken, 10 oz red potatoes 1 tbsp of mac nut oil
Meal 5 - 7 oz turkey, cup greens, 1 cup jasmine rice, 20g pb
Meal 6 - 7 oz 90% lean beef, cup greens, 30g nuts, 6 oz red potatoes
Meal 7 - 16 oz egg whites 5g fish oil

What is your calorie breakdown? This looks pretty simple. I like it.

New Threads