Long Live Static Stretching!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Most T-Nation articles are shite, I'll give credit here that there was a modicum of research-based evidence to support the position.

That said, I'm not in the 'static stretching' camp before big lifts. I find it more effective for me personally to start each workout with a bit of cardio to elevate my core body temp and get my joints loosened up, then on to no weight (bar) and light weight feeder sets before getting heavy. I may try to stretch a bit at the end of a workout (or even after a compound lift before moving on to iso work) but thats pretty much all the stretching I've ever incorporated (head kicks aside).

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Griz, that dude stretching on the bench looks more like a gymnast then a weight lifter. Sweatpants+ no shirt= shit for legs.

On the topic, I do both static and dynamic stretching. I have heard arguments on both sides of the fence but if I have to lay my chance of injury on the table, I'm doing both to prevent it.

With respect to injury, you can do everything perfect and it just is bound to happen. I would blame 80% of any acute injury I had on one thing; testing my limits and being at the top of my abilities. I also think age is a big factor. I never got hurt when I was young. even in my 30's when I was moving way more iron then I am now.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah, me personally I warm=up on the bike for 10 minutes and stretch the muscles I'll be training just a little bit then warm up the rotator cuffs no matter what muscle I'm training, it helps get me in the right mindset. I generally warm up for 20-30 minutes before the work happens. It's nothing that special but it gets me primed.

New Threads