Searching for answers...

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm generally new here. Been lurking for a few months trying to absorb as much information as possible, mostly to make sure that the steps I take are carefully planned out. So firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their knowledge and willingness to share. I am 35, male, 6'3 and 279lbs, 30% to 33% BF depending on how my work week goes (I feel I am sensitive to cortisol levels). Suggestions go a long way for me, as I thirst for knowledge above all else, however I have a dilemma. My work schedule is insane. I am a driller working in the Appalacia region and am sometimes several hours from a proper gym, and traveling everywhere with dumbbells and other weights is prohibitive of a good proper workout. Housing sucks and space is extremely limited. 13 hours a day for 2 weeks straight like this. I have been calorie deficient and have been eating mostly clean for a year or more. Some added bulk would be nice, but I am more concerned with trimming up, and ideally drop down to 20% BF. My problem is, even being in a deficit, and eating clean, (macros at 65 25 10 2300kcal/day or less) I can't seem to lose the BF. Blood work is normal range, but I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, I feel disgusting. I am thinking of enhancing my workouts and diet with something, but I was hoping for opinions and advice before I make a final decision. Any takers?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I should probably add, that I while my BF is high, no one that I work with or know considers me fat. Apparently I'm just a big guy. I do lift, but not as heavy as I used to, I have a level 5 AC shoulder separation from a snowboarding accident 4 years ago. Just never got around to having the surgery. I lift 4 times a week, with 2 days of cardio, and a day off, and while at work I do as many body weight exercises as I can manage.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Welcome to The Underground.

If you arent losing weight at 2300 calories then something is amiss. How are you tracking your calories?

What bloodwork did you get done?

You don’t need to exercise to lose weight. It can all be done with diet.

DNW

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome! I actually dont do cardio anymore and lose weight just with my diet. You miss out on the cardiovascular benefits but it can be done. As far as carting around weights, its unnecessary. Theres weight all around you, you just need to get creative. If pushups dont cut it, bench press an end table. Fill it with sh*t if you have to. Do goblet squats with it. Bring cable or chord to tie around something for curls or other exercises that require a handle. I mean ppl will be wondering wtf you're doing in your room, assembling IKEA furniture an sh*t but at least you'll be doing something.

Reaction score
I generally do meal prep on my off days. I weigh my proteins, usually skinless chicken and lean cuts of beef. I measure out veggies, but sometimes go a bit over with the greens like broccoli and spinach. I limit myself to about 1 snack a day usually a piece of fruit like an apple or an orange.

My blood work was a complete metabolic panel, glucose, hematocrit, and liver function. TSH and test and lipids all normal. Ive been to 3 doctors and they are all as dumbfounded as I am. I FEEL healthy. I can swing a 20 pound sledge hammer all day on rig move, and I am not easily out of breath. I feel like I have been living right, and eating well, I am just at a point where I'm considering enhancement but cycling with my work schedule is going to pose an issue for sure. I'm just kind of at a loss, and was hoping that there is a different angle that myself and my doctors are missing.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Sometimes when your bodyfats high you wont really see the loss as easy as when its lower

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
We’ve had other guys in your situation: work schedule not conducive to training.

I’ll give you the same advice: using PEDs is not going to change your sub-optimal conditions. Use enhancement when you have the time to give full attention to your diet, workout and sleep.

Nobody (worth their salt) on this board uses AAS as a bandaid. We use them as icing on the cake.

Reaction score
Thanks... That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Not looking for the band-aid approach, more or less just curious on y'all's thoughts because IMHO you guys are the ones who are the real body experts, and I value the opinions here vs 3 doctors who obviously have no effing clue.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Thanks... That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Not looking for the band-aid approach, more or less just curious on y'all's thoughts because IMHO you guys are the ones who are the real body experts, and I value the opinions here vs 3 doctors who obviously have no effing clue.

Can you elaborate on why you feel the doctors are incompetent? Do you feel you have an underlying health condition that they cannot identify?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Are you CONSISTENT with eating 2300kcals per day? Or is that when things are perfect? What I'm asking is, are there days sprinkled in where there's no tracking, for whatever reason?

It's pretty low Cals for your size, and what you do, with no known medical condition. Something is off.

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on why you feel the doctors are incompetent? Do you feel you have an underlying health condition that they cannot identify?

Because 3 different doctors and not a clue about why I can't get to a normal BF percentage. I've laid out my meal plans and talked with nutritionists. According to my TDEE I am about 1000 Cal below so theoretically I SHOULD be losing. But I'm not, and no one knows why

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have a welder that works on the rig??
We don't specifically employ them, but we will call them when we need them to fix the shit we break. They're basically a 3rd party contractor we keep in our back pockets

Last edited:

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
You could throw them a few extra bucks and have them build you a power rack of sorts. I work in drilling as chief electrician and a I designed what I wanted and payed welder to do a bit of over time and build it for me. Then you can take a bar and bench with you and all your body is covered.
i have had decent success using this basic equipment under similar if not worse conditions that your in

We don't specifically employ them, but we will call them when we need them to fix the shit we break. They're basically a 3rd party contractor we keep in our back pockets��

Reaction score
Are you CONSISTENT with eating 2300kcals per day? Or is that when things are perfect? What I'm asking is, are there days sprinkled in where there's no tracking, for whatever reason?

It's pretty low Cals for your size, and what you do, with no known medical condition. Something is off.

I agree, and so does my primary physician. There are days where I don't specifically track everything I ingest, but I do plan my meals and prepare them in those little meal prep containers. The fact that I can't exactly run to the refrigerator to grab another snack at works makes it easy to not over eat. I may have the occasional energy drink, usually a Bang or a zero calorie Monster. I have been known to drink a NOS that's given to me.

On my days off, my eating habits don't change much, with the exception of beer. But I'm a cheap beer slut and drink Mich Ultra and never more than a 12 pack per week. I don't eat candy, or sweets.

I was looking at an ECA stack to further supress appetite and try a further deficit, but I don't want to go into starvation. DNP is interesting as well, as I feel like I could control the heat with an adjustment to my macros and limiting the carbs more which would help with the aforementioned deficit increase. I am seriously confused with my body as it just does not want to cooperate.

When I was in my late teens I had a bad run with meth. Like really bad. So I am not sure if there is some long term damage from that. I also take Cymbalta for nerve pain from the separated shoulder and some back issues, it is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, so if I started ECA I would need to step in gradually to avoid issues with the serotonin boost from the ephedrine, or stop Cymbalta and wait to clear my system to be safe. I tried to post a pic of what I look like, but I don't have enough posts.

Last edited:

DNW

Elite
Reaction score
At 1000 under are you sure you havent stalled your metabolism?

Reaction score
You could throw them a few extra bucks and have them build you a power rack of sorts. I work in drilling as chief electrician and a I designed what I wanted and payed welder to do a bit of over time and build it for me. Then you can take a bar and bench with you and all your body is covered.
i have had decent success using this basic equipment under similar if not worse conditions that your in

That's not a bad idea, actually. I'd have to work with the rig manager or company man to get it thrown on a ticket, cause they typically don't work for cash or kickbacks anymore. There was a big problem some years ago with our company and some jackwagons getting high dollar goods thrown on a welding ticket. Lots of people lost their jobs and went to jail, so our vendor list is mostly curated now

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
If it’s a good rig manager and you explain to ya for your health then he might even buy you some kit

That's not a bad idea, actually. I'd have to work with the rig manager or company man to get it thrown on a ticket, cause they typically don't work for cash or kickbacks anymore. There was a big problem some years ago with our company and some jackwagons getting high dollar goods thrown on a welding ticket. Lots of people lost their jobs and went to jail, so our vendor list is mostly curated now

New Threads