New guy looking for information or reference for information

Reaction score
Hey UGBB, I am new....kind of. I am looking for some information about having trouble reaching hypertrophy. To be clear, I am not a bb or PL. I just want to look and feel good. I am not on TRT . I have used test E and C before and on my 2nd go I stayed on for about 6 months. My body test didn't fully recover but it was about 375 last time I had bloods pulled about 5 months ago. I have zero interest in ever going down that road again. But, my body doesn't want to reach hypertrophy anymore. I worked my ass off this past month in the gym and it seems rare that my muscles get sore anymore.I took some time off due to reoccurring injuries and I have only been working out for the past month. Does steroid use destroy receptors? Did I do irreparable damage to the point where growth simply cannot happen? I am not a big guy. 6 ft 175 and by bf% is disgusting at rhe moment. My diet is somewhere between 2800 Cal's and 3300 Cal's daily. Not enough protein but, I'm getting better. Stay off the sugar for the most part and the carbs are pretty clean. Is there some research material that can help? Or does anyone out here have some info on what could potentially be going on physiologically? I miss having sore muscles. It always made me feel like I'm making progress. Thanks in advance for any assistance or information

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
1st......Welcome

2nd, you have 8 questions wrapped up in that paragraph.

tell us a bit about yourself, (age, cycle history, injury) and we can begin to work with you.

But we will (staff) move your threads to the proper spot. We have a section for injuries, TRT, on & on.....

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
What I find in my personal experience is every once in a while I'll feel that I'm not really getting sore anymore... if I bring in a buddy that's equally as strong or stronger than me and try to push to out do him in the gym (like a friendly competition) I'll be sore as **** the next day... it's usually just a mental barrier you have to overcome... your body will get sore if efficiently pushed to its needed point.

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that being sore is not a good indicator.

On top of that, you’ve been working out for a month (after a lay-off). You need to give this shit some time. Nothing is going to happen in a month.

And lastly, 375 is not a stellar test level. You may wind up not making a lot of gains just due to that alone.

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that being sore is not a good indicator.

On top of that, you’ve been working out for a month (after a lay-off). You need to give this shit some time. Nothing is going to happen in a month.

And lastly, 375 is not a stellar test level. You may wind up not making a lot of gains just due to that alone.

You're right 800 would have been much better lol but, i still get morning wood and that's good enough for me. I don't necessarily want to get ****ing huge and I don't expect my body to respond like it did when I was in my 20s. I just don't want to fall into the habits of most of the other guys I know. They all look like shit and have accepted their fate as picket fence stepfather's. If I stay at 175 then so be it. But.its gonna be a really ****ing solid 175.

I do want to know why you think muscle soreness the day after a workout is not a good indicator? Im no pro but, I always thought that day after soreness meant you tore some fibers up and then they have to heal. When they heal, they heal bigger and stronger. Is this incorrect information?

Reaction score
1st......Welcome

2nd, you have 8 questions wrapped up in that paragraph.

tell us a bit about yourself, (age, cycle history, injury) and we can begin to work with you.

But we will (staff) move your threads to the proper spot. We have a section for injuries, TRT, on & on.....

Age 33 height 72 weight 175-180
Injuries to both shoulders and knees. All undiagnosed through the VA. First cycle was in early 2017 250 mg of test twice a week for 12 weeks. Pct with nolvadex and clomid. Stopped the clomid due to sides. 2nd cycle was last year. At the end of it I was completely shut down. I ran hcg for 4 weeks and then nolvadex.

I have no interest in pursuing any further use of anabolics.
If there is any other information I am leaving out or needs to be addressed let me know.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Play around with your training... train legs heavy and hard that alone will raise test levels. . Without drugs gains are slow as is. But I like that you dont want to use aas. You can try varying your training. Mid weight high reps like seth feroce on some days for the blood flow and heavy on others for the hypertrophic qualitys... but the real point is your doing this for your enjoyment. Dont make it to much work. If you keep.it something you love to do the gains will come and you will figure out what works for you over time... theres tons of experience here on many levels stick around and read and make freinds! We will help any way we can

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gonna start with the good news: steroids don't ruin yer receptors. Yer on the low end of 'normal' at 375, and some Docs would put ye on TRT at that level if it's something ye were interested in exploring, but no need to think ye damaged yerself in any way IMO. Yer blood work would have told ye otherwise if it were the case.

Next, better news: ye won't accidentally get too huge. Believe me, if it were possible all the meatheads on this board would weigh 500 Lbs. Rest easy there.

Last, with yer injuries ye may need to adjust yer training according to what ye can do. Can ye still squat with yer knees? Can ye press with yer shoulders?

What I'd do: focus on getting yer macros dialed-in. Ye want to get bigger? Eat more, in the right proportions for ye. Train hard and track yer progress. Focus on strength first, and hypertrophy will (generally) follow.

Share out yer current training program here and ye'll get a wealth of good ideas. Diet, too. If yer looking to recomp, diet will be king. Know yer TDEE and then lets start focus on getting yer macros sorted. Ye got room to grow at 6' and 175 lbs.

Welcome to UGB.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
And as for muscle soreness, if you're a little sore the next day, it probably means you did a good job. But soreness isn't necessary, you can have an effective workout and not be sore.

Too much soreness though, to the point where you can't really function for a few days and/or affects your future training, is probably too much, and you probably overdid it a bit, so many cut back a little.

Reaction score
Gonna start with the good news: steroids don't ruin yer receptors. Yer on the low end of 'normal' at 375, and some Docs would put ye on TRT at that level if it's something ye were interested in exploring, but no need to think ye damaged yerself in any way IMO. Yer blood work would have told ye otherwise if it were the case.

Next, better news: ye won't accidentally get too huge. Believe me, if it were possible all the meatheads on this board would weigh 500 Lbs. Rest easy there.

Last, with yer injuries ye may need to adjust yer training according to what ye can do. Can ye still squat with yer knees? Can ye press with yer shoulders?

What I'd do: focus on getting yer macros dialed-in. Ye want to get bigger? Eat more, in the right proportions for ye. Train hard and track yer progress. Focus on strength first, and hypertrophy will (generally) follow.

Share out yer current training program here and ye'll get a wealth of good ideas. Diet, too. If yer looking to recomp, diet will be king. Know yer TDEE and then lets start focus on getting yer macros sorted. Ye got room to grow at 6' and 175 lbs.

Welcome to UGB.

That's a Texas sized 10 4.
I would be happy to share the program I've been trying with ugbb. Should I start a new thread in a different category for that or keep posting here?
I can also post about my current diet and macros although it is kind of sloppy and not very consistent.

About knees, my right one pops but, no pain and it's not on every squat. Maybe every 3 squats it'll pop. My shoulders can still press and do raises but, bench can bother my shoulder. I also dont lift too heavy on shoulders because of the prior injuries. I could probably lift more in weight than what I am currently.Elbows get angry as **** when I do extensions and dips.

To address what Deadhead posted, I like leg day but with the knees being banged up I worry if I am doing more harm than good. We have been doing squats, weighted half squat, weighted step up and then leg press. The leg press doesn't givee any issues to my knees

I appreciate the responses and letting me know what ugbb is aboot

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
That's a Texas sized 10 4.
I would be happy to share the program I've been trying with ugbb. Should I start a new thread in a different category for that or keep posting here?
I can also post about my current diet and macros although it is kind of sloppy and not very consistent.

About knees, my right one pops but, no pain and it's not on every squat. Maybe every 3 squats it'll pop. My shoulders can still press and do raises but, bench can bother my shoulder. I also dont lift too heavy on shoulders because of the prior injuries. I could probably lift more in weight than what I am currently.Elbows get angry as **** when I do extensions and dips.

To address what Deadhead posted, I like leg day but with the knees being banged up I worry if I am doing more harm than good. We have been doing squats, weighted half squat, weighted step up and then leg press. The leg press doesn't givee any issues to my knees

You can do everything you can achieve with squats on the leg press machine.... and it's much lower impact... just get you some good knee sleeves..... but if you feel strain use your best judgment

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

You're all over the board buddy but I think you have the heart to fix all of this. The boys are giving you great advice so I won't add too much.

IMHO, you only need squats. 1/2 squats requires more weight and more stress on the joint and I feel should only be used as a plateau breaker or pre PL meet. Weighted step up are for the girls and the only thing LP's build is big egos.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
You're all over the board buddy but I think you have the heart to fix all of this. The boys are giving you great advice so I won't add too much.

IMHO, you only need squats. 1/2 squats requires more weight and more stress on the joint and I feel should only be used as a plateau breaker or pre PL meet. Weighted step up are for the girls and the only thing LP's build is big egos.

I use to feel the same way but I watched a video where seth feroce talked about the leg press being his main builder of his quads that kinda changed my mind

Reaction score

Thanks for your input Snake. I respect the words of the vets on the forum. Can you elaborate on why you feel that why about the LP?

It is interesting to get the different opinions of what works and what doesn't. I know there's a ton of good info on the forum, it's just a matter of sifting through all of it.

New Threads