Protein Absorbtion

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting because it shows the body is capable of directly turning protein into fat.

Yes, it can. It doesn't WANT to, but it will if it has too. Same with carbohydrate.

You don't piss any of it out, under normal circumstances. Everything is used.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
More interesting to me I was on a low carb medium fats high protein diet for a while. I have contemplated if I somehow "flipped a switch" and my body short of fats and carbohydrates became accustom to stripping protein for energy. .

I've been wondering about this too. Since many of the body's systems have a little lag time to them, I wonder if you will adjust back to normal with an increased carbohydrate intake to offset the need to burn proteins for energy. I'm assuming your BUN level was elevated in your tests, I'm curious how it responds.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too. Since many of the body's systems have a little lag time to them, I wonder if you will adjust back to normal with an increased carbohydrate intake to offset the need to burn proteins for energy. I'm assuming your BUN level was elevated in your tests, I'm curious how it responds.

My urea nitrogen was 29 they said that was high
My creatine levels were normal
My EGFR was 59.8

That puts me just under normal on kidney function. They are saying it was my volume of creatine. I was eating one or two decent sized steaks a day and a teaspoon of creatine as well, and my levels were normal so I'm skeptical.

"Everything is used"

Under perfect conditions I would think the efficiency isn't 100% but pretty high.

I'm more concerned with used in a positive way.
I already know how to get fat:32 (18):

Another thing that may have a accelerated the switch was I was eating my largest amount of protein (steak, eggs) in the day on wakeup. Pretty minimal carbs and then doing intense exercise.
Perhaps months of this specific behavior forced the switch if one occurred.

I will say large amounts of protein a little over an hour before working out I felt stronger and had more energy than now.

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score
This.

Everything with the human body goes back to evolution.

Got to be careful with that one. Mutations can be positive, neutral or negative. Not everything about "you/we/us" is fine tuned, useful and sometimes can be downright in the way.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
My urea nitrogen was 29 they said that was high
My creatine levels were normal
My EGFR was 59.8

That puts me just under normal on kidney function. They are saying it was my volume of creatine. I was eating one or two decent sized steaks a day and a teaspoon of creatine as well, and my levels were normal so I'm skeptical.

Creatine breaks down to creatinine, which is what's tested for. If you worked out the day of the test, or even the day before, your levels can be elevated. Strenuous exercise and muscle breakdown causes this. I already went through this with my Dr before, she had no idea.

But your levels were fine, so it sounds like they are just guessing at this point.

Reaction score
Try adding aloe vera juice, some studys show it helps with protien absorption in digestive tract.

New Threads