Protein Absorbtion

Reaction score
Ive been reading a lot about protein absorption and keep finding a lot of mixed information out there.

When I started training I was really loading up on protein shakes twice a day and just chugging them down.

Ive gotten to the point of taking the same amount of protein but at 4 increments. Basically between meals and shakes I eat/drink every two hours. I eat, finish, set a 2 hour timer on my watch.

Cant really say I've noticed a difference but its habit now.

I guess the real question is what are everyones thoughts on how much protein can be absorbed in one strait shot? Does anything over 30-40 Grams just get pissed out?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You absorb and use it all, in one way or another. Otherwise you could eat 10,000 calories of cod every day and not gain weight.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
To many studies and opinions out there that contradict themselves IMO.

I make sure that by the time I go to bed, I have taken in enough protein to meet my macro goals.

I have eaten over 100 grams of protein at once and as little as 2 grams in a snack and have never seen a difference with the exception of being more full or less full after the meal.

My opinion, don't sweat the small stuff. Eat, train, sleep repeat.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
We’re using the same hardware we used when we were hunter gatherers. Probably the same as before we knew how to preserve meat.

We’re not too dissimilar from animals either. Wolves will eat 10-20 pounds of meat. Certainly that doesn’t go to waste.

So, after a big kill we used to gorge ourselves, like wolves do to this day because they cannot preserve food for later.

And here we remain. A civilized species with supermarkets.

The body doesn’t just discard nutrients IMO

This is my thinking and logic. It might be off.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We’re using the same hardware we used when we were hunter gatherers. Probably the same as before we knew how to preserve meat.

We’re not too dissimilar from animals either. Wolves will eat 10-20 pounds of meat. Certainly that doesn’t go to waste.

So, after a big kill we used to gorge ourselves, like wolves do to this day because they cannot preserve food for later.

Been known to down 2lbs of chicken in a sitting if I've been in the work yard all day and no time for a meal. I tend to agree with the thinking here: get the macros in ye, worry less about how yer breaking it down one meal at a time.

Source: Not dead yet.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I believe Zilla posted a really great write up on nutrient timing and reasons for why it's largely bro-science, but I can't seem to find it...

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I believe Zilla posted a really great write up on nutrient timing and reasons for why it's largely bro-science, but I can't seem to find it...

I was looking for that one too. I can't remember if it was a stand alone post or a response or if it was in Scientific Studies or Diet and Nutrition. Good stuff, though.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Dang, the lunch I bring to work with me usually contains 60 to 90 grams of protein that I ingest in one sitting.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Ive been reading a lot about protein absorption and keep finding a lot of mixed information out there.

When I started training I was really loading up on protein shakes twice a day and just chugging them down.

Ive gotten to the point of taking the same amount of protein but at 4 increments. Basically between meals and shakes I eat/drink every two hours. I eat, finish, set a 2 hour timer on my watch.

Cant really say I've noticed a difference but its habit now.

I guess the real question is what are everyones thoughts on how much protein can be absorbed in one strait shot? Does anything over 30-40 Grams just get pissed out?

I've been going above and beyond researching protein recently due to an issue I am having. (Hopefully temporary lowered kidney function)
Personally I like to eat 1 gram per lb of bodyweight period. Not lean mass but total bodyweight.

In my recent research it looks like in a day you can only really use .6-.8 grams per pound of bodyweight and from what I read the test subjects in the 3? Different test were at a pretty high level athletically and some were said to "possibly had a history of performance enhancing drug use".

So how much can be absorbed?

In a day?
.6-.8 times your bodyweight will give you the number of how much you can in g according to what I read absorb in a day. (That can be utilized in a positive way)

In a sitting?
I would bet if you take your daily allowance of protien and divide it by 4 or 5 you would be at the maximum you can absorb and use in a positive non storage way. I bet 6-8 would be far more efficient.

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score

You get fat. That's the body's storage system. If you gorge eat you also rush the digestive process and force foods through that are not fully digested as you absorb all the way out.

I imagine gorging is one of many tools one could use to keep your metabolism from becoming stable.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
How much is absorbed vs how much is needed is two different arguments. You will absorb and use it all, and what's above and beyond what's needed for muscles, skin, hair, nails, etc will be used for other purposes, mainly burned for fuel. The issue with eating excess protein is that if calories are equated, you lose out on the other macros, fat and carbohydrate, which are much better fuel sources/used in ways protein can't.

You don't piss any of it out. Your body will use each and every gram of protein you ingest.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Here is one of the articles. I think there is a good amount of research suggesting what I said is true. I personally am no expert, I find the diet part should be simple but is instead very complicated.

https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

"• Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
• Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
• Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
• Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
• Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

Over 20 other studies have consistently failed to find any benefits of more than 1.6g/kg/d of protein."

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

No science behind my thoughts on this but it does parallel my beliefs about how the human body deals with protein. There's no way we go to the lengths that we do to acquire protein, fats and carbs only to waste it.

My concern is what is done with the extra protein after the body meets all its protein needs. Extra carbs get stored as fuel for a later date as fat and I would assume the same is done with a protein surplus.

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
I have to agree with most everybody in here. I dont think there is a set number of grams of protein for one setting and anything over that gets pissed or shat out. Nobody could convince me that some pencil neck and arnold will only use the same amount of protein regardless of how much was consumed.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I was reading today and found this.

"When your body uses an amino acid for energy, it must convert the amino acid to a useable form of energy.

It does this by stripping the nitrogen atom off of the molecule. The skeleton molecule that is left behind is then further converted into glucose and used as fuel."

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I was reading today and found this.

"When your body uses an amino acid for energy, it must convert the amino acid to a useable form of energy.

It does this by stripping the nitrogen atom off of the molecule. The skeleton molecule that is left behind is then further converted into glucose and used as fuel."

And in your case, the kidneys are having trouble keeping up with the extra nitrogen(N). Your body slaps some hydrogen atoms onto it and creates ammonia(NH3), and as a backup system for the kidneys, it's bring excreted through your sweat.

The body has so many different ways to accomplish what it needs for survival.

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score

This.

Everything with the human body goes back to evolution.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
And in your case, the kidneys are having trouble keeping up with the extra nitrogen(N). Your body slaps some hydrogen atoms onto it and creates ammonia(NH3), and as a backup system for the kidneys, it's bring excreted through your sweat.

The body has so many different ways to accomplish what it needs for survival.

Yeah that's a great paraphrase of the article I read.

I thought it was interesting because it shows the body is capable of directly turning protein into fat.

More interesting to me I was on a low carb medium fats high protein diet for a while. I have contemplated if I somehow "flipped a switch" and my body short of fats and carbohydrates became accustom to stripping protein for energy.

It's also pretty interesting to me thinking about guys that are full keto. If they don't get enough fats from how this reads they would be putting a load on the kidneys trying to rid the body of all that ammonia.

New Threads