Fed Up - Documentary

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure this doc was talked about here before but I had a chance to watch it over the weekend. As with all of these types of documentaries, there is some half-truths and exaggerations. Still it has some hardcore facts and some thought provoking messages. It also shows the dirty work of special interests and their lobbying powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUbvOwwfWM

Last edited by a moderator:

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm actually not sure if it's been brought up. I'm not familiar
with it but a brief search has piqued my interest.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm actually not sure if it's been brought up. I'm not familiar
with it but a brief search has piqued my interest.

It's up your alley so I'd like to know what you think about it. On this type of topic, I have a feeling you and I have parallel beliefs.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's up your alley so I'd like to know what you think about it. On this type of topic, I have a feeling you and I have parallel beliefs.

you're a parallelogram.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Will have to check it out one these days, thanks for the post.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I watched it awhile ago so I don't remember many details, but i do agree that the sh&t we eat is what is making us sick and I've definitely noticed that some foods, particularity, sweet ones "trigger" me to want more. You ever check out the shopping cart of the person ahead of you in line at the grocery market? 9 times out of 10 it's full of sh*t. Even when people think they are buying something healthy, it's still crap. Take a Cliff Bar for example, most people think it's healthy, but's not that much different than a snickers.

Those of us on this board have made an effort to gain at least a fundamental knowledge of nutrition. For the masses, their knowledge is gained by what it says on the magazine covers in the super market aisles. Not coming down on them. It's just the way it is.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
The only processed food I intake regularly is whey protein.

That was never my goal. It’s just the way I enjoy eating. Simply.

Thanks Snake.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Snake - great thread bud.

I am going through this now and for ther past 11 years with my 11 year old and 6 year old with my mother in law and my wife - somewhat.

I became type 2 diabetic at 32 years old. I battled for a number of years until I finally got myself off insulin by firing my doctors and doing things my way.
For the past 4 years ive been seriously dedicated, otherwise I would be dead.
I am no longer on any insulin or metformin, I was previously taking 4 shots daily.
Im down 130lbs scale weight with adding muscle. I did most of that before any gear too.

My inlaws have been giving my kids oreos, cakes, ice cream etc since they were born. Even after ive asked them not to 2 dozen times my mother in law does not listen and my father in law cant do anything about it because he's a fukking pussy, and her puppet.

Even after the doctor told us the same thing ive been telling her I thought maybe it would be more significant coming from the doctor but it didnt because she's a fukking moron, and doesnt listen to anyone.
I try to keep my kids away from them, and its their own fault at this point.

Thanks for the post.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Rhino-

I'm glad you got your shit in line my man!

As for the Grandparents, I see both sides but feel your wishes should be honored with regards to your children. But hear me out on this and I'm not defending you in-laws but giving you a view point from personal experience. Grandparents want to spoil their grandchildren, it's the way it is. My dad would bitch about us not eating our veggies and when my young men would show up at his house, out came the ice cream and soda. lol

Another factor for my family is the age of my parents and even worse when the young men would go see their great-grandparents. That generation had very little and food was their way of giving. Couple that with being Italian and food along with sweets were the way they showed they loved you. My mom thinks she needs to use food as an excuse to visit. "I just made 2 cheese cakes and your dad and I won't finish them. I'm going to bring one up to you".

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Since the video wasn't an extra cost, I watched it. It's pretty eye-opening and learned some new facts.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
This documentary makes several good points. I remember the low-fat diet craze - but you take the fat out of food and it tastes like shit. So food companies of course replaced it with sugar (or corn syrup) to make it taste better and then market it as healthy.

I'm less sympathetic to consumers who buy the obviously unhealthy foods (Oreos, sugary cereals, Doritos, etc...) they are, in my opinion, making a consciously unhealthy food choice and deserve whatever consequences. I do have a bit more sympathy for Joe Dipshit who buys a Cliff Bar earnestly thinking it's healthy because there's mountains and a bicyclist on the box without checking the nutrition facts.

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
The saddest thing is to watch kids so food obsessed, depressed, helpless, confused, deceived and betrayed abusing their gorgeous naivety. When I was a kid I wanted to play with my mates and we got so immersed in our play that we FORGOT about food indeed it was a nuisance when we got interrupted having to eat!
The best cure is to create a life where everything you do is better and more enjoyable than eating.
Not only is the obesity crisis creating an immense burden on finance in the healthcare system, it is utterly disempowering. What chance have you got to ever reach your full potential?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
......The best cure is to create a life where everything you do is better and more enjoyable than eating.
Well short of sex, there's is little more enjoyable in life than food. But then that's the Italian in me; food is social.

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
Well short of sex, there's is little more enjoyable in life than food. But then that's the Italian in me; food is social.

Whatever floats your boat!! Go for it :)

For me it's writing music, can't make a living of it unfortunately, but I tried!

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
Dare I say it, the German in me does like coffee and cake occasionally, oh dear, I have come out ... Achtung Achtung ... :cool:

New Threads