Am I missing something?

Reaction score
So, to start it off, my progress is a slow long way to go. I started off last year (April 2018) at 185lbs, now I'm at 210lbs. At first it was strength training and cardio, then just strength training 5 days a week. I finally wised up and did 3 days a week for recovery sake. My diet has always be around the 5000 cal mark, a protien/carb/fat ratio of 20/70/10 because I'm built to burn cals fast. I sometimes try to force myself to keep eat which is a chore. My supplements are : garden of eaten mens active one a day, green tea extract (high eceg), l-lucine 2xdaily, creatine monohydrate (cycled), and a vegan athletic bulking protien powder. I seem to take forever to recover (2 maybe 3 days if workout is pushed hard), I have tried straight gualtimine (misspelled) and have had very little results. Plus it's taking more than a month to push up weights by 5lbs. I'm starting to wonder if I missed something along the way.

FYI- my workouts are usually each set 8 reps of 3 sets high weight

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You've gained 25 pounds in 16 months, I'd say you're doing something right.

Gainzzz are going to slow down, it happens. Adding 5 lbs to your lifts each month is still progress. Hell, that's adding 60 lbs to your lifts in a year's time, which most would kill for!

Do you ever incorporate deload weeks into your program? Could also think about trying out new rep ranges.

Reaction score
Do you ever incorporate deload weeks into your program? Could also think about trying out new rep ranges.

Deload weeks? I haven't come across that term yet. One workout variation I was told involved one maxed out rep for each routine. I'm usually wiped out by the end of my workouts, my muscles are screaming to stop.

Oh, sorry for typo. I wish it was 5lbs each month but everytime I try that, the next time I do that workout I struggle even more ending up going back down 5lbs so as not to invoke injury.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
A deload is a period of less volume/weight to dissipate accumulated fatigue, to allow your fitness to show/progress.

If you're training hard, and it sounds like you are, then systemic fatigue levels rise more quickly than you can fully recover from. This potentially stunts progress and could lead to overuse injuries.

Try to take a light week of training every 4-8 weeks, where you do 2/3 of the volume at 2/3 of your usual weights. You should come back stronger the following week, energized and ready to rock.

It's going to feel too easy, almost like you're doing too little. But I promise you that you'll feel amazing the following week. Resist the urge to do extra that week.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if I missed something along the way.

FYI- my workouts are usually each set 8 reps of 3 sets high weight

What you're missing is the law of diminishing returns.

CJ said it but I'm saying it too. 25 lbs of BW in that time is damn impressive and 5 lbs a month on what I'm guessing you're talking about is your bench is just as impressive. Wait until it takes you 1/2 a year to add 5 lbs to your bench. Just keep up the good work my man.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
More protein would only help. Good work so far!

Reaction score
I've crunched the numbers on protein intake: about 190 grams daily. Almost 1 gram for 1 lbs, I believe it's 1 gram for 1 kilogram of weight for muscle building. I've researched this last year.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've crunched the numbers on protein intake: about 190 grams daily. Almost 1 gram for 1 lbs, I believe it's 1 gram for 1 kilogram of weight for muscle building. I've researched this last year.

Being plant based, are you getting a good mix of all the aminos, by incorporating lots of different plant protein sources?

Reaction score
It's a mix of lentils, beans, seeds, mushrooms, green veggies, some fruits, and the l-luecine I take as well.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a mix of lentils, beans, seeds, mushrooms, green veggies, some fruits, and the l-luecine I take as well.

your sure your getting enough aminos from all that..??

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

That's a pretty good mix, especially with the vegan protein powder you're taking as well.

I often read that vegans should consider upping their protein higher than their meat eating counterparts, to ensure an adequate supply of all aminos. You need all the pieces to the puzzle, and a single amino could be a limiting factor.

My money is on you needing a deload week though.

Last edited:

New Threads