Never understood why Pros lie..

BigBubba

Reaction score
So I like watching documentaries. Last few days watched the 3 Generation Iron movies. And in one..I think it was the 2nd..you have DLB saying she doesnt use nor has used PEDs. And you see in these docs and magazines these people claiming to be drug free. WHY?? I mean its obvious if you are at the top of the game..be it BB, power lifting, crossfit, fitness..whatever..you are taking shit. Everyone knows it, why lie about it? I mean I can see what some would say about they get paid by sponsors for the supps they take and sell. But why act like its ALL the supps?? I mean I would have a lot more respect for folks that say "Yep. I take this and this. And I use these supps as they help me get calories/train harder/recover" or whatever. If people would be more open about it then maybe there would be less shit about the industry?

People love/loved talking shit about Rich Piana. But the dude was honest and open. He was quick to say he takes shit but you have to put in WORK as well. Theres no magic pill. Its effort. Maybe if folks were this way you wouldnt have these kids killing themselves with shit from UG labs and GNC. Education. In this day and age it ****ing sucks folks cant be ok with things. ****.

Reactions: Jin

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Think ye answered yer own question, Mate. Its all about the Benjamins. In non-tested feds, it gives ye an edge in yer comp, which if ye succeed gets ye more notoriety which translates into more brand equity ($$). In tested sports, ye lie and cover yer tracks, get the edge, maybe win, and $$.

Lying when promoting yer brands is obvious. Bruce Jenner didn't win a gold medal because of fawkin' Wheaties but he sold the shite out of 'em. Sports supps are no different - the real target market actually believes its the supps that made 'em successful. We know different, we're in the game and see the angle.

I honestly dont hate on 'em any longer for doing so. I figure if ye can't tell the truth from the marketing then ye deserve to be parted from yer money.

Reaction score
Not too many people go on the record stating they use illegal drugs. The rock is one of them. Said he doesn’t use peds. Do I think less of him? **** no. DLB is a money maker. You think she’s gonna risk that by admitting she uses drugs? **** no. She’d lose sponsors instantly.

Go go to work and tell HR you use illegal drugs, see how well that works for yah lol.

Last edited:

BigBubba

Reaction score
I realize its about money. It just seems..****ed. I mean we have all taken the needle at some point. That shit wasnt the easy route. Hell if anything its the HARDER route. You pay more for the drugs, then you lift more meaning loss of family time, you have to eat different, you are more down on yourself for missing a workout or meal. You feel that if you are going to take PEDs then you DAMN well put in the max effort. At least thats how I have always seen it.

And if you are sponsored by a mainstream company like Wheaties then I understand. But when your sponsor is MuscleTech and the like..I mean come on!!

And the part that bothers me the most is the lie. Dont walk around and say you do them. I get that. But when you are directly asked, on film, if you take them. You say you never have. Thats like a slap in fans faces.

I watched a doc called Fittest on Earth. About the CrossFit Games. Cool ass movie. Everyones talking about how they dont use. This one cat says about how its bullshit to use..do it by hard work. Got 3rd place. Podium. Popped positive for 2 substances. Lost his title and banned for 4 years. But more than ANYTHING he lost honor and face.

When Ed Hall deadlifted 500kg he could have had 4 needles hanging off his ass and it STILL impressed the **** out of anyone. We expect these people to lift huge weights. Step on stage at a ripped 280. Hit a baseball out of ball fields. But then expect them to lie when asked a question? **** that. Honor above all.

DNW

Elite
Reaction score
You cant expect people to jeopardize their livelihoods for "honor". Most of these people are top of their field, years of dedication. If they lost their sponsorship or lost winnings bc they were honest, how do they justify that to their loved ones? All that hard work and sacrifice would be all for naught which is stupid.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I would love to know what Eddie hall was taking when he did that

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
It is mostly about the coin and relationships with sponsor companies. The sponsors want zero said about steroids when their face is attached to a person. Other quality answers are it illegal and it is no ones business what they do.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you smoke weed: "its not bad for you."
If you snort coke: "He/she must like to party."
If you shoot heroine: ":insert anything symapthetic:"
If you take halocenagens: "he/she must be open minded."
If you take steroids: "you're a cheater, loser, want to die, dumb meathead, etc etc"

Reactions: Jin

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was at work about a month ago and was joking around with some coworkers on our down time about how i somehow look bigger recently (not blasting or anything ATM) and one of them said "you shoot up some steroids this morning?" In which i sarcastically responded "No, that was yesterday". Immediate awkward silence from everyone. Now half these people smoke weed, have smoked, done coke, etc...but when it came to steroids its like i told them i killed someone. Now steroids are in no way similar to other recreational drugs, but safer than alot of recreational drugs. The stigma behind them is not worth the admitance of usage.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I spoke about this with Steve Cook years ago and he backed up what my guys/girls used to tell me. Suffice to say it isn't all about money. Hardly any sponsorship companies direct their athletes to claim natty at every public appearance. Ego has a lot to do with it. The fear of being told that the only reason you look good is because of the drugs. It's the same reason why a lot of users bullshit people with regards to doses.

They shouldn't admit they take PEDs, obviously. But staying silent, avoiding the topic completely, is a valid option and the right choice. You preserve some respect and still keep the dollars coming in. Preaching natty status isn't going to suddenly increase your value. A lot of youtube fitness morons learnt that the hard way a few years ago. It was embarrassing. Shut the **** up and it'll all be fine.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started out in the days before anyone talked openly about it. In fact, the first person I ever heard speak openly was Lyle Alzado ( and you know how that story went )

I view having it out in the open as a double edge sword. 1) It is good to have a knowledge base for those who have already decided to make the leap 2) It’s terrible in that in may push people who don’t know what they are doing to get into something they don’t fully understand. I mean, how many young guys have we seen on here that can’t even get themselves to the gym 3x a week who have already committed to doing a cycle because they have “looked into it” by watching some YouTube videos?

I may be nostalgic, but there was an innocence in being about to wonder if Arnold was on. If a young guy asked me if I used, I wouldn’t be open to the discussion simply because I wouldn’t want him to think that steroids were all it took.

In fact, looking back on it, I am more pissed at the pros who promoted those bullS$it supplements than those who made a personal decision about use and kept it to themselves.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
If you smoke weed: "its not bad for you."
If you snort coke: "He/she must like to party."
If you shoot heroine: ":insert anything symapthetic:"
If you take halocenagens: "he/she must be open minded."
If you take steroids: "you're a cheater, loser, want to die, dumb meathead, etc etc"

Unless you're high at the time, no one can tell that you do the first 4. If you're doing the last one and do it right, they can tell at any time.

New Threads