5 or 12 - an OCD dilemma

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
So I’ve stumbled on one of life’s great mysteries... hopefully somewhere here is ocd and has an advanced calculus degree.

I got the “5 more reps” from Tom Platz and have successfully used it to extend my sets. Basically 5 reps is mentally achievable so you lie to yourself and say 5 more reps. Then when those are done, you lie again and tell yourself 5 more reps.... until you’re dead.

Well lately I’ve watched Jay Cutlers training style and he does everything in sets of 12.

so now... what do I do? How am I supposed to live like this? When you get to 10 reps, do you say “5 more reps” and power through it or do you say “2 more” so you end on an even 12?

• 1 guy has the best quads ever.
  • The other guy has 4 titles and bad ass quads too. Does that mean 12 is a more anabolic number then 5?

I went to do another set and I’m to mentally confused to even start. What’s the lowest number evenly divisible by 5 and 12? Does this mean I have to do 120 reps on each set?

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I go to 12 then, tell myself. 5 more. Okay G, five more. And then... 5 more!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Get what you're scheduled to get. No more, no less. If all of a sudden you pull a few more reps out of a set compared to last week, you laid up last week and were a pussy. If you get a few less reps this week, you're a pussy.

Don't be a pussy.

5 or 12, I have done okay with both. 5 reps does require some heavy weight and that normally increases the risk of injiry.

Young Snake: 5
Old Snale: 12

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I go to 12 then, tell myself. 5 more. Okay G, five more. And then... 5 more!

I knew Germans were smart! I was mostly joking but I actually like this thought process :)

Though snake might have trump’d them all. Now all I’ll hear is:

”Don’t be a pussy”

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Just so you are aware. I knew it was a joke. I too get conflicted but... I do a set or two with 12 and do tell myself 5 more. So. It's just how you feel like training that day. And, your overall goal at the moment;)

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
I have the same issue. 5 -12 - 17 - 20? What rep range. lol What I do now, which seems to be effective for me is that I take my first exercise and go heavy with 5 sets of 5. After that, all sets are to 12. Im not as old as snake so I don't have the joint issue, oh wait, yes I am and yes I do. But I remember his words "Don't be a pussy!"

I may or may not smell like Bio Freeze after words. lol

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Who says you even have to count reps?? lol put some weight on the bar and go balls to walls till you can't go no more...then go a little more. Haha :p

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
weeks 1-4 Training style A
weeks 5-8 Training style B
weeks 9-12 you combine the two

El Gringo

Reaction score
If you’re only working for 5 reps, it’s probably some heavy weight. How do you squeeze out 5 more, then another 5 on top of that?

i could maybe believe it if you’re talking about 12 reps, then 5 more reps. At 12+ reps people stop from the lactic acid burn and can maybe push themselves past the pain for 5 more. But at only 5 reps there isn’t much lactic burn, people give out because they simply can’t push any further.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Am I the only one that gets what V is saying.

You guys are forgetting the Tom platz, 5 more, approach. That's what V is getting at. Do you stop at 12 like Cutler. Or. Do you pump 5 more out like platz? Which is a greater method?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that gets what V is saying.

You guys are forgetting the Tom platz, 5 more, approach. That's what V is getting at. Do you stop at 12 like Cutler. Or. Do you pump 5 more out like platz? Which is a greater method?

Put simply.....do you continue to say 5 more until you can’t possibly do one more rep or do you stop once you reach your rep goal.

New Threads