Lower cable shrugs

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done before but it maybe something you want to try to mix thing up.

I wanted to hit my traps on Mondays but needed to do something that didn't involve so much bicep since they get hit on Sunday. I came up with this and have been at it for about 6 months. BB shrugs have been doing very little for me. This movement is doing the job, so figured I'd share.

Take the lat pull down bar that has the angle on end and invert it. Don't stand directly on top of the pulley, you want the angle of pull to be up and slightly back. The range of motion is short since most of the motion is in the shoulder girdle. The biceps will engage some but it should be minimal. The bar is away from your body at the bottom and is pulled up and into the upper abs. keep the reps up; I like 20 and don't get hung up on the weight. If you use too much weight, you won't get a good contraction at the top.

Zu9f5r9.png

kUk8Qhj.png

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
I do them with the short bar, hadn’t thought to flip the lat bar... gonna try em out, thanks!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Good stuff right there, I like behind the back with a slight lean forward as well.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I recall seeing somewhere that it's better to have your arms at an angle like this, as opposed to straight down like you would have with DBs or a BB. If I remember correctly, it aligns better with the angle of pull of the muscle fibers.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks Snake.

This would be a good superset :

Snake Shrugs: upper traps
leaning forward at 45+ degrees and pull directly towards shoulder blades (while squeezing them together: middle and lower traps along with rear delt

New Threads