Issues with protien and natural bodybuilding

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I seemed to have stumbled ass backwards onto the possible cause of my issue.

I noticed a few weeks ago an amonia smell in my sweat as I worked out. I didn't think too much of it. As time passed it got worse. Almost overpowering. To the point I would say I was "sweating pure ammonia". The kidneys can't deal with the amount of waste and you sweat it out.

I went to my doctor with my concerns. After a blood and urine test my doctor informed me I have lowered kidney function. I was told to lower my protien and stop taking creatine. Odd because my creatine levels were normal, I did what the doctor asked. I was told I will have another test a month from my first.

Slowly my sweat seems to have stopped or only faintly of amonia. I am not taking creatine, powdered protein or large amounts of protein. I cut out BCAAs.

Today I may have stumbled upon the answer to my dilemma.

"Gluconeogenesis (GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from certain non-carbohydrate carbon substrates"

In my admittedly basic understanding a "natural"
Is limited to the protein they can actually use. Not only that but a person who is not on performance assistance does not even benefit from a steady stream of protien. It seems that having protein at some feedings and none at others actually optimizes things for a natty.

That brings me to my issue. Eating large amounts of protein in a steady stream may have triggered my body to go into gluconeogenesis. Basically as CJ and I were guessing my body may have been using protein for energy.

When glu..... happens weight loss and muscle building can slow down. Part of that function happens in the kidneys. A possible explanation for my lowered function.

I am by no means an expert by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to diet. If these things I have read are true this is extremely interesting to me. My experience seems to mirror the claims.

This may be interesting for the natty guys or even people off cycle.

I am particularly interested eating my protien in chunks at some meals throughout the day and none or little at others to take advantage. Perhaps eating my protien this way I can raise my protien closer to the 1 to 1 ratio and actually be able to use it without triggering the ammonia sweats again.

After a positive follow up blood test of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: DNW

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Sounds logical to me... also sounds like you’re ready for that first cycle!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
No Dr. here and would defer to Zilla on this one. That said, here's my opinion; excess protein would be converted to fat if your glycogen levels were normal and Gluconeogenesis would only take place in the absence of available carbs and fats.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
The ammonia smell comes from 2 possible pathways:
- the degradation of ATP (>ADP>AMP + ammonia), which happens during high intensity sessions. This is a sign of muscle glycogen depletion.
- the metabolism of protein, which happens during low intensity sessions. This is a sign of general glycogen depletion and is fairly common on keto diets.

"Is this an issue outside of smelling bad?" No. "Well OK but what can I do to stop smelling bad?" Get some deodorant and bump up the carbs.

chicago311

Reaction score
creatine has always seem to make me sick and dizzy during my work out's, and afterwards i have to go straight home a lie down for a bit, i always took it as an intense work out, but soon realised it was the creatine that what was doing that to me, so im done taking it, i know some guys swear by it, but again im done, all bodys are differant. lol

New Threads