Should I change to soy protein?

Reaction score
I am 17 and i have been going to the gym for 2 years. I have been on accutane/isotretionin for a while now and also been taking whey protein after gym sessions. I recently discovered that whey protein gives you lots of acne if you are acne prone and my family has a history of acne. My acne has not cured as fast as i want to and i still have some. I have been on isotretionin for over 7months and i have 2months left
I was thinking that is pea protein isolate a good option if i want to get rid of the acne. I dont have lots of money so i found one that is 25euros and has 75,5g of protein/100. Thanks

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just eat extra real food if you want to experiment with dropping whey/dairy. Can of tuna or chicken is cheaper than the soy protein anyway.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a bit reductive to say that whey protein "causes lots of acne".

It's true that certain people's skin is particularly sensitive to dairy, but this is a small subset of the population. For these people, reducing or eliminating dairy exposure CAN improve complexion, but that's not to say that dairy is the only culprit.

Generally speaking, acne has many, many causes. While dairy CAN contribute to a small percentage of acne, it is almost never the sole driver of breakouts.

All of that being said, you really don't NEED dairy-based protein sources at all. Are they convenient? Sure, but that doesn't mean that they're indispensable.

I've become pretty lactose intolerant since hitting 30 and can say that cutting dairy out of my diet hasn't improved my skin much, but nor has it inhibited my gains.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
If you really want to do something diet related to help your acne out, do keto. Cutting out all that sugar reduces inflammation in the body big time. Inflammation is a huge player in regards to acne.

EDIT: Just saw the OP is 17. My advice will probably not help much.

Last edited:

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
go with a mix...

BSN syntha 6, combat powder from Muscle pharm, etc

they will have 4-7 different sources

Reactions: DNW

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like Today, there could be a variety of reasons for your acne. But if you have issues digesting whey.
, which could contribute to your acne then pea protein is a good alternative.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advices. The problem is that my siblings and cousins have problems with whey protein. For example my cousin who never even had a zit on his face got lots of acne on his back after taking whey. My brother also got lots of it. The cause can also be because i am from a middle eastern family so the food can sometimes be greasy. But i might test the pea protein. I know it will taste like shit but that isnt a problem

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advices. The problem is that my siblings and cousins have problems with whey protein. For example my cousin who never even had a zit on his face got lots of acne on his back after taking whey. My brother also got lots of it. The cause can also be because i am from a middle eastern family so the food can sometimes be greasy. But i might test the pea protein. I know it will taste like shit but that isnt a problem

pea protein, rice protein...etc etc...dont go ghey i mean soy....

do u have problems with whey protein???? u say ur family and cousins do....

try casein protein, egg protein....

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score

His acne isn’t from the whey, it’s from that dem there Celltech...

Sounds like it’s to late but there’s a ton of long term side effects from accutane. Make sure you research first... living with the acne might be better.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
How old are these two individuals who suddenly contracted acne after consuming whey protein?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
At your age, with your genetics, pretty much everything that causes growth will cause acne. That means lifting. That means protein as a whole (though dairy seems to be a bigger culprit than most other sources). You're left with a shitty choice between better skin vs building muscle. I've been there, I know it sucks. My advise would be to sacrifice growth in the short run for the sake of your skin because, well, scars don't do go away. Just saying.

If you really want to do something diet related to help your acne out, do keto. Cutting out all that sugar reduces inflammation in the body big time. Inflammation is a huge player in regards to acne.
I'm assuming you missed the part where the OP said he was 17. Inflammation does contribute to acne, you're right, but the right dietary course of action would be make sure he gets plenty of fruit & veg into a generically healthy, well balanced, diet. Not to switch to something that is the epitome of anti-growth and harmful to all pubertal boys & girls.

Last edited:

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
At your age, with your genetics, pretty much everything that causes growth will cause acne. That means lifting. That means protein as a whole (though dairy seems to be a bigger culprit than most other sources). You're left with a shitty choice between better skin vs building muscle. I've been there, I know it sucks. My advise would be to sacrifice growth in the short run for the sake of your skin because, well, scars don't do go away. Just saying.

I'm assuming you missed the part where the OP said he was 17. Inflammation does contribute to acne, you're right, but the right dietary course of action would be make sure he gets plenty of fruit & veg into a generically health, well balanced, diet. Not to switch to something that is the epitome of anti-growth and harmful to all growing boys & girls.
This is wise advice.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score

I'm assuming you missed the part where the OP said he was 17. Inflammation does contribute to acne, you're right, but the right dietary course of action would be make sure he gets plenty of fruit & veg into a generically healthy, well balanced, diet. Not to switch to something that is the epitome of anti-growth and harmful to all pubertal boys & girls.

Just saw your post Zilla. Yes, I did miss that he was 17. My bad. OP, listen to Zilla's post, not mine.

Reaction score
Hi Koulo I have struggled with the same problem as you since hitting puberty so about a year and a half ago I ran a course of accutane and while it did seem to help some I would still break out a lot on my face in particular. About halfway through my accutane cycle I realized I was consuming a crazy amount of dairy between whey protein, yogurt and anything else a normal teen trying to gain size might be eating so I cut dairy out of my diet fully (much much harder than one might think), between that monitoring the amount of sugar I consume and washing my face 2-3 times a day I've been able to get my cystic acne under full control. If your acne is anything like mine this hopefully should help a lot, you're welcome to send me a message cause this is a problem I've dealt with for years, in fact I'm even considering running another cycle of accutane this winter because while the stuff I listed worked for me I would ideally like to have a bit more "normal" of a diet again.

New Threads