My New Plan

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
You would be wasting your money. Stick with a pre workout, or creatine.

I've never taken pre workout because all of my previous time spent in the gym my testosterone levels were through the f*cking roof. Just never needed it... do you really think it would give me a good kick in the ass so I can relay that same notion onto some good old-fashioned iron?

i will research creatine. Always heard of people using it but I never looked into its effects.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I've never taken pre workout because all of my previous time spent in the gym my testosterone levels were through the f*cking roof. Just never needed it... do you really think it would give me a good kick in the ass so I can relay that same notion onto some good old-fashioned iron?

i will research creatine. Always heard of people using it but I never looked into its effects.

Pre workout is used for it's pump, and focus effects. Depending if you you get one with caffeine, which i use. I've never had good sessions with a stim free pre workout.

Creatine helps me retain water a little more, and I've always found it to aid in my recovery.

I've never had a positive experience with t boosters. Protein, pre workout, and creatine are the only worthy supplements ime.

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
Pre workout is used for it's pump, and focus effects. Depending if you you get one with caffeine, which i use. I've never had good sessions with a stim free pre workout.

Creatine helps me retain water a little more, and I've always found it to aid in my recovery.

I've never had a positive experience with t boosters. Protein, pre workout, and creatine are the only worthy supplements ime.

Noted, brother. Thank you.

Reaction score
I LOVE DNP, it’s quite amazing how it works and I can tell you this would be the worst decision ever for you to try DNP now.
DNP will kill your energy and will to workout. Say good bye to all your great resolutions!
DNP will make you feel like shit. Oh wait, you already feel a little that way, so let’s imagine lethargy * 10 times.
DNP will increase your hunger, so get ready for a weight loss/gain roller coaster.
DNP will cause massive water retention, you definitely don’t need that.

You have an eating disorder and that’s why you are overweight. You have to put this in order first. Find your thing, keto diet and intermittent fasting are two ways that helps to change eating habits.

Thank you, brother.

is anybody here Against me trying out DNP for this period of pre-cycle cutting?

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
I LOVE DNP, it’s quite amazing how it works and I can tell you this would be the worst decision ever for you to try DNP now.
DNP will kill your energy and will to workout. Say good bye to all your great resolutions!
DNP will make you feel like shit. Oh wait, you already feel a little that way, so let’s imagine lethargy * 10 times.
DNP will increase your hunger, so get ready for a weight loss/gain roller coaster.
DNP will cause massive water retention, you definitely don’t need that.

You have an eating disorder and that’s why you are overweight. You have to put this in order first. Find your thing, keto diet and intermittent fasting are two ways that helps to change eating habits.

See, that's the experienced feedback I was looking for. I appreciate your input and will not try DNP until either during my first cycle or after.

i started keto today against the will of either one or a couple members on here because I've had good results with it in the past. Hopefully it doesn't affect my energy as much as the member(s?) was/were implying it would.

Let me ask you this : will I see the same benefits of intermittent fasting if I combine it with my keto or is it best to pick one or the other?

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
See, that's the experienced feedback I was looking for. I appreciate your input and will not try DNP until either during my first cycle or after.

i started keto today against the will of either one or a couple members on here because I've had good results with it in the past. Hopefully it doesn't affect my energy as much as the member(s?) was/were implying it would.

Let me ask you this : will I see the same benefits of intermittent fasting if I combine it with my keto or is it best to pick one or the other?
I'd advise against implementing more than one restrictive diet protocol until you've established a solid routine. Start slow and spend a few months feeling out how your body reacts.

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
I'd advise against implementing more than one restrictive diet protocol until you've established a solid routine. Start slow and spend a few months feeling out how your body reacts.

Okay... good, I like breakfast anyways.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
I’m on day 2 keto and I was out of gas in 30 minutes doing shoulders today. I’m doing it for the insulin sensitivity improvement but I can tell you that it’s not fun. Drink water, pickle juice and himlayan salt as needed for electrolytes. I downloaded an app called carb manager specifically for this. I’m not going to keep seeing gains in the gym but I will lose weight a little more rapidly and probably some muscle mass but I know how to get that back. Stay strong dude

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
I’m on day 2 keto and I was out of gas in 30 minutes doing shoulders today. I’m doing it for the insulin sensitivity improvement but I can tell you that it’s not fun. Drink water, pickle juice and himlayan salt as needed for electrolytes. I downloaded an app called carb manager specifically for this. I’m not going to keep seeing gains in the gym but I will lose weight a little more rapidly and probably some muscle mass but I know how to get that back. Stay strong dude

Day 2 for me as well, brother. I had a really good bicep workout, but I gassed out as well when it came to my back exercises and cardio... maybe it's the lack of carbs, or maybe it's just that I got fat and have no energy. I wasn't even thinking about electrolytes so I appreciate you mentioning the pickle juice, I only ever internally associated electrolytes with carby drinks like Gatorade and Powerade.

I am following your thread as well and look forward to seeing how hard we can push on keto.

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
Day 3... my entire body is sore from exercise. I got a decent leg workout in (because that's the only part of my body I could move) but I gassed out after about 5 minutes of cardio so I did a couple minutes of HIIT. I know this will get easier but holy hell am I sore...

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
Day 4. Got a good shoulder and triceps workout in. Got about 15 minutes on the bike machine, maybe 2 of which were HIIT. Also am down 4lbs since the beginning.

Reactions: CJ

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
My TDEE is supposedly 3100 calories, but on Keto I struggle to get more than 2000 calories in per day. Any tips on cramming in calories so I'm not too far under maintenance? I'm not sure how fat burning is affected when in ketosis but not eating enough calories.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
My TDEE is supposedly 3100 calories, but on Keto I struggle to get more than 2000 calories in per day. Any tips on cramming in calories so I'm not too far under maintenance? I'm not sure how fat burning is affected when in ketosis but not eating enough calories.

Drizzle olive oil over your veggies. Add a little more butter/oil to things.

Also, if you got your TDEE through a calculator of some sort, it's more than likely not accurate for YOU, just a reasonable place to start. Make your own adjustments according to how your body responds over 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
Drizzle olive oil over your veggies. Add a little more butter/oil to things.

Also, if you got your TDEE through a calculator of some sort, it's more than likely not accurate for YOU, just a reasonable place to start. Make your own adjustments according to how your body responds over 2-3 weeks.

I will do that. I'm just now starting to implement veggies and things like low-carb tortillas (for sandwiches) because I was going practically 0 carbs for the last few days. I am in ketosis now, albeit with just a small amount of ketones showing on the strips.

Assuming my TDEE is anywhere near remotely correct, should I be trying to push for 2500 calories? Or am I cool at the 1500-2000 range? I don't wanna slow my metabolism down and end up taking even longer to lose weight.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
A 500 Cal deficit is a good safe number. If you have a decent amount of bodyfat to lose, you have plenty of stored calories to use in that fat to make up the difference, without your body fighting back.

That being said though, don't force feed yourself. If you have a day at 1500 Cals, but you feel good, fine. Call it calories in the bank. You might end up having a higher day and it'll offset it somewhat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Getting your calories during keto shouldn’t be too hard. What kind of foods are you eating? Fats are high in calories, eat bacon, ground beef. Sausage. I used to just drink straight up olive oil (I’m Italian, that’s just normal).

While i hate keto, it will jumpstart your fat loss very quickly. Long term it’s silly but I get why you’re on it. For me I had to consume a lot of fats in order to have any strength/energy. Moderate protein, high fats. Shoot for zero carbs. I don’t eat veggies but green leafy ones you can have a lot of. If you do eat some carbs keep it less than 50/day.

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
Getting your calories during keto shouldn’t be too hard. What kind of foods are you eating? Fats are high in calories, eat bacon, ground beef. Sausage. I used to just drink straight up olive oil (I’m Italian, that’s just normal).

While i hate keto, it will jumpstart your fat loss very quickly. Long term it’s silly but I get why you’re on it. For me I had to consume a lot of fats in order to have any strength/energy. Moderate protein, high fats. Shoot for zero carbs. I don’t eat veggies but green leafy ones you can have a lot of. If you do eat some carbs keep it less than 50/day.

I'm definitely getting a lot of fat in... I'm American so I get a lot of calories from that succulent dollar store mayo.

I've been eating a lot of steak, ground beef, definitely bacon, and chicken. Various styles of each, All with butter and/or oil. LOL I couldn't even think about drinking pure olive oil. The thought makes me gag, but hell calories are calories I guess...

Being that I was trying very hard to get into ketosis I was eating <5 carbs per day, but today I had some hamburger meat in mushroom soup gravy (lowish carb) and asparagus... plus a low carb tortilla for a 750 calorie ham cheese lettuce onion and lots of mayo sandwich. All in all? Probably 25-30 carbs for the day. Which should keep me in ketosis.

There was actually a brief period in the past when I did keto where I would eat a full fledged double bacon cheeseburger from sonic nearly every day (slightly less than 50 carbs) and then I would just eat steak the rest of the time.

I'm definitely shooting for as low carb as possible, trying to supplement as much fats as I can... I'm on my way, brother.

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
Also, I only plan on doing keto for about 60 days tops while I research carb cycling.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey PD, glad to see you have a plan and that you're sticking to it...........and it doesn't include hopping on cycle right out of the gate.

Concur and approve, now make it happen!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Watch out for too much protein knocking you out of ketosis. Your body will use the excess and convert it to glucose through gluconeogenesis. A ketogenic diet is low/no carbs, low/mod protein, and high fats.

You could probably get away with eating a few carbs immediately post workout, and still stay in ketosis. Your muscles and liver will use them right up.

New Threads